Home

TheSinner.net

How to play wow in DRA?

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

How to play wow in DRA?

Postby guest on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47 am

Hi, I like WOW (World of Warcraft) very much and would like to play it in university accomodation. However, the ports of wow seem to be blocked by school. Is there any possible way I can play the game, e.g. bypass the firewall if any? Thanks very much!

Re: How to play wow in DRA?

Postby October on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 am

As far as I’m aware there is no way to get past the ports,

And if you ask me it would be best to just stop playing WoW to be honest.
It’s not really the same game it once was, plus it’ll get in the way of your work.
Pick it back up when Cat come out, hopefully it’ll be good again by then. That’s what I’m doing.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Postby big_phil on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:39 pm

First I'd like to point out it won't detract from work if YOU are sensible. It's a game that requires you to be sensible with how much you play. As long as you get your work done first and allow time to see friends, play sport, do other stuff then it isn't the problem people make it out to be.

As regards your issue, you've no hope of playing it in halls. Your only way to play is outside of hall - I played for a little bit once I moved into a flat with friends, but halls isn't an option I'm afraid.
big_phil

Postby Delts on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:42 pm

The question has been asked before on here, and the answer has not so cryptically also been given on here before. I would suggest you search around these forums for a bit. But my advice would be to not bother since you'll likely screw it up if you don't already know the answer and how to implement it
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby maxray on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:19 pm

I would have been playing WoW if my computer wasn't in such a bad state.
Oh wait, I still play sometimes. In DRA! And it doesn't really distract me at all. Awesome, isn't it?
maxray

Postby Fawksie on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Tunneling is only a useful suggestion if the OP knows how to do it, or how to find out how to do it, and has a suitable server to do it with. And if they're asking on the Sinner, then chances are slim.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby steelegbr on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:38 pm

Now I could suggest that the OP gets a hold of a satellite uplink truck and corresponding kit (LNB, dish, receiver, etc.) for the downlink. However, despite it being a viable option for the BBC, it is somewhat silly, costly and likely to hack off RESBUS. Especially if you have a satellite uplink truck in the DRA car park and a receiving dish hanging out your bedroom window.

:P
steelegbr

Postby orudge on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Satellite would be a bit laggy for gaming, anyway. :P
orudge
Administrator

Postby maxray on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:40 am

Fawksie wrote:Tunneling is only a useful suggestion if the OP knows how to do it, or how to find out how to do it, and has a suitable server to do it with. And if they're asking on the Sinner, then chances are slim.

There are tons of easy to use solutions with a nice client and server you have to pay for. In fact, I use on of these and it's really nice, because my server's exit point is in Germany, so my ping is always around 100 ms or less.
maxray

Return to WiredSoc