Home

TheSinner.net

Insurance for your Laptop or PC??

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Insurance for your Laptop or PC??

Postby Andreas on Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:28 pm

1)What happens if someone steals for example my Laptop??

Is there something like an insurance for electronic stuff (PC, Laptop) at the university or at least for the Halls (inside the buildings)??

Hopefully, it did not happen to anyone of you, but would be interesting to know what one can do...

2) What options does one have to go online, if I arrive with a PC/Laptop?

Is the connection in the Halls fast enough, or do you have privat (ADSL) contracts besides the normal opportunities given by the university?

Thanks a lot,

Andreas

P.S.: I posted part of it in the general Message Board as well, because I'm not sure where the insurance question belongs to... :)
Andreas

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:28 am

Andreas,
Sounds like a greek name, so i will answer :
All uni halls have resnet connections.
That means you connect to the internet through the university network.It is bloody fast.Downloading the lates service pack for windows 2000, i saw a 2.3 Mb/sec speed.Anyway.
There is no option to have private ISP's in hall.They are not supported/allowed.You have to use the resnet connection.
If you are in a flat, you have the option to go ADSL, since it is available here in St Andrews.
Hope this helps.
Your laptop can connect through it's LAN port.If you do not have one, you have to buy a LAN card that goes in your PCMCA slot.You can get one from IT services when you get here.
All hall rooms have insurance though i am not sure if that covers laptops.
God this is a long post
[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:58 pm

If your home address is in the UK, sometimes you can put your stuff on your parents' house insurance.

[edited to correct improper use of apostrophe]
teamonkey

Return to WiredSoc