Home

TheSinner.net

Linux, dhcp, Resnet, aaargh

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Re:

Postby sat on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting Leo Comerford from 12:51, 2nd Feb 2006
Hey, guess what? Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) uses dhclient v. 3.0.2 . And Resnet doesn't work with it. I have yet to confirm that dhcpcd works properly with Resnet, partly because I have yet to get it working properly on Breezy.

If any kind soul has experience of getting Breezy and/or dhclient working with Resnet I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I've been using this too; usually fine until I switch over to Windows. Then something gets screwed up somewhere with the DHCP lease and I don't get another one when I go back into Ubuntu. So I generally set it to a static address and switch back to DHCP after a bit once the lease has expired (which may be a fortnight or something).

I'm not quite sure why this happens because surely the server'd reply with an address if Ubuntu asks for one.

What is especially annoying to me is that when you use DHCP in Ubuntu it always overwrites the search domains to res.st-and.ac.uk so I can't just put in something like "www" to get the local webserver. Disabling DHCP makes that problem go away, unless I fancy somehow forcing it not to change resol.conf or play about with the dhclient config file... (which I had to do when some nice person had a router responding to my DHCP requests and putting me on 192.168.1.20 or something: forcing it to ignore was the only option) SUrely ITS can block DHCP responses from everywhere xcept uoxdchp or wherever?

My rant for the week.
sat

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting sat from 16:47, 4th Feb 2006

I've been using this too; usually fine until I switch over to Windows. Then something gets screwed up somewhere with the DHCP lease and I don't get another one when I go back into Ubuntu.

Useful to know, thanks.
Leo Comerford

Previous

Return to WiredSoc