Home

TheSinner.net

Ethernet Crossover connection

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Ethernet Crossover connection

Postby surfingsimon on Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:15 pm

Hello there.

This one is way over my head, I need to connect my new laptop and my old desktop to transfer files. The best and cheapest method seems to be using an Ethernet crossover cable but i cannot get it to work.

If anyone has any knowledge of this area please post cuase im rather stuck.

Cheers, Simon.
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:59 pm

I make my own crossover cables.

It's simple:
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/netwo ... cable5.htm
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby C. on Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:51 pm

Assuming you're on windows:

Go into control panel> network connections.

Select the connection which is in the LAN area (typically local area connection 1). Bring up the properties for that connection (right click properties)

Make sure there's a heading labelled File and printer sharing. If there isn't then add one using the INSTALL button.

Select TCP/IP and click the properties button.

Click 'Use the following IP address' and type in

IP ADDRESS:
192.168.1.1 For the desktop
192.168.1.2 For the laptop
SUBNET MASK:

255.255.255.0 For both

The other options shouldn't need to be filled in.

Now go into explorer on your laptop and computer, right click c: and select sharing. Share the drive (despite the warnings it gives you).

Then from the laptop click Start>Run> and type
\\192.168.7.1

Which will bring up a new explorer window showing the desktop's shared hard drive.

You can move files about using that method. Hope that helps
C.

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:15 pm

thanks for the thorough reply, i appreciate the time you took to type it all up!

I did as you say and got some progress, however i get no further than the error message below, any ideas?

"\\192.168.1.2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.....

Logon faliure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:49 pm

you have to enable sharing on both computers?
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02 pm

sharing was enabled on both, as far as i could see it should have been working.

although i still cannot logon to my desktop i did eventually manage to logon to my laptop from the desktop and successfully transfered the 30GB (took ages!).

thanks for all the help.
simon
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:43 am

Should have took my advice.

It was the best course of action.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:53 pm

stevo i don’t know you but im guessing you’re not too bright....

i already had a crossover cable - all the discussion was about how to get it working!
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:29 pm

[s]surfingsimon wrote on 19:53, 25th Sep 2004:
stevo i don’t know you but im guessing you’re not too bright....

i already had a crossover cable - all the discussion was about how to get it working!

The corrrect spelling is Steveo, notice the capital letter at the start of a name also.

[hr]
[s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:52 am

my apologies, i guess i placed such importance on your name that i just didn’t quite grasp the subtlety of its spelling ;-)
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby George G on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi Guys, how do I connect to a network printer from my PC - It doesn't have a parrallel port or a USB port but I have a crossover cable and can use that to connect to my printer - I just don't know how to get it to print once I connect it?? any ideas ??
George G

Re:

Postby orudge on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:36 pm

You'll need to install the drivers for your printer. If you're plugging it in with a crossover cable, you'll need to make sure the IP addresses are set up correctly. The printer may also have a web-based configuration system, it should tell you about it in the printer manual or on the CD. If you don't have the manual or CD, look up the manufacturer's web site and it should have the manual and drivers.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:17 pm

The usual problem in cases like this is, (where everything is set up correctly etc) is windows firewall or some other firewall doing their job too well.

Try turning off the firewalls (both windows and other) on both computers (disconnect from the internet) and try again. If this works - post back the firewall type and I'll give you instructions on how to set up a rule. (Assuming you don't know how to do it yourself)

P.S. I used to use crossover cables but then I discovered that my laptop can connect to my PC using just a standard direct connection. Is this specific to my network cards or is it usual nowadays?

P.P.S Why am I so retarded that I replied to a 2004 message?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to WiredSoc