Home

TheSinner.net

Portable Flash Drives

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Portable Flash Drives

Postby Haunted on Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:23 pm

Got a 256meg one that has seemed to stop working since i've moved down here. It was travelling safely and theres no physical signs of damage to it so I'm fairly sure its something else. Windows recognises it as a removable drive but wont open it and keeps telling me it needs to be formatted. However going down that ally ends up with "windows was unable to format the drive". Can anyone help?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:05 pm

[s]Haunted wrote on 14:23, 27th Sep 2004:
Got a 256meg one that has seemed to stop working since i've moved down here. It was travelling safely and theres no physical signs of damage to it so I'm fairly sure its something else. Windows recognises it as a removable drive but wont open it and keeps telling me it needs to be formatted. However going down that ally ends up with "windows was unable to format the drive". Can anyone help?

Try it on another computer to see if it is the drive at fault or your OS.

[hr]
[s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:48 pm

[s]Haunted wrote on 14:23, 27th Sep 2004:
"windows was unable to format the drive".

I had that with a 64 MB smartmedia card once, only way I could fix it was format/fix it on a mac (using OS X).
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby surfingsimon on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:01 pm

does anyone know if those work on the library computers or have ITS blocked that too?
surfingsimon

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:28 pm

Yeah other PC's give the same sort of response.
This is a really sucky situation
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:34 am

Try some light torture then threaten with a gun.

Or, try using OSX - it loves things that don't work, quite like the OS itself.

Another of my hate filled moments. God, I just hate them.

[hr][s]You can't put a tool bar at the top, no no no. That space is reserved for the mighty blue apple.[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby pt14 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:33 am

I have found that whatever file system the drives use can be corrupted by windows if you don't "safely remove hardware". Lets just say i've had a bad experience... Reformatting let me use it again but of course I lost a bit of stuff. Also happened to a friend's digital camera when he just pulled out the usb cable.
Don't just pull it out but remove it in windows first (WinXP is the biggest culprit as far as i've found) from the icon in the task bar.
I know that all the computer science machines have no probs with flash drives - i don't see why ITS machines should be any different, although I admit I havn't tried!
pt14

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:40 pm

The ITS machines that I've used have no problems with inserting and using Flash drives...

However, right-clicking and using the system tray is disabled (at least in the Purdie building) so I couldn't safely remove it, and had no option but to pull it out when I thought it was safe. It was a bit aggravating.

If the worst happens and it needs replacing, the CS technicians are selling 128MB ones for £15 each just now.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Return to WiredSoc