Home

TheSinner.net

Trans?

LGBTsoc - The Sinner's LGBT area

Moderators: dusty, Dempsey

Trans?

Postby 12giraffes on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Does anyone agree with me that the society should become more trans-friendly? After all, it is the LGBT society, but from what I've experienced, it seems more to be the LGB society. Maybe we could try to organize some trans-related welfare stuff?

What do you think?
12giraffes

Re:

Postby xs11 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:54 pm

i don't think the society is trans-unfriendly but addressing trans issues more actively by inviting speakers on that topic obviously sounds good. do you have any suggestions who LGBT soc could invite?
xs11

Re:

Postby 12giraffes on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:46 pm

Perhaps my phrase of choice should have been 'trans-aware' as opposed to 'trans-friendly', as you're right in saying it's not 'unfriendly'. I can't think of any people to invite of the top of my head, but I'm sure some research, internet or otherwise, could provide possibilities.

I have also been thinking, the society now has a men's officer and a women's officer, perhaps we could think about introducing a trans-officer. Obviously keeping it a unofficial position (as I believe the other two are?). It may be something worth discussing either at the next AGM, or at the next committee meeting if a committee member wants to raise it .

Just some thoughts of mine I wanted to share :D
12giraffes

Re:

Postby Count Dracula on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:00 pm

I think having a Trans Officer is an excellent idea. The Men's and Women's Officers are actually official but there would be no problem in proposing a new position at the next AGM, which is going to be on March the 24th, btw.

Also, a trans-awareness event is being planned for either the 3rd or 10th of March, depending on speaker availability.

[hr]

Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Count Dracula

Re:

Postby Count Dracula on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:02 pm

I can confirm that we will have James Morton of the Equality Network to speak for us on trans-awareness on Monday the 3rd of March.

[hr]

Count Dracula

Re:

Postby 12giraffes on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:39 pm

That's great :-)

Let's hope the trans-awareness events continue!
12giraffes

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 am

Quoting 12giraffes from 19:39, 30th Jan 2008
That's great :-)

Let's hope the trans-awareness events continue!

We did have a transperson speaking to us a couple of years ago, but you can't really create a trans officer role unless there are transpeople who are going to come along and fill it. Likewise, you can't criticise an LGBT society for being too L, G or B. The committee and the events they organise are largely dictated by the needs of those members who actually join the soc and who turn up to events.

In all my time in St As we only had one transperson come along to the society, and that person wasn't even a student. It's certainly not an issue that is ignored tough - an example being our rebranding as "Transperson" from "Transgendered" in the society's name a couple of years ago. We were one of, if not the first, UK university society to do so.

[hr]

[s]http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440&pwstdfy=c9c14f50e63e4951ba5a9abb7ffcdc6e[/s]
box_of_delights

Return to LGBTsoc