Home

TheSinner.net

On the Verge: The anti-arms film the police tried to ban

A board for the stop the war society - and anyone who wants to get involved in relevant discussion

On the Verge: The anti-arms film the police tried to ban

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:36 pm

Not a STW event but I've been messaged about a film OneWorld is showing a week today, Wednesday 23rd April 2008, called 'On the Verge', and a talk from the makers of the film, SmashEDO, at 7 PM in the Lochnagar Room of the Mansefield building opposite the union & behind the bus stop.

The story so far: In 2004 a group of Brighton peace campaigners began to bang pot and pans outside their local arms manufacturers EDO MBM in disgust of their part in the Iraq war. This has grown into the Smash EDO campaign, which has cost the company millions, been the subject of large scale police operations and has tested the right to protest in the UK.

Using activist, police and CCTV footage plus interviews with those involved in the campaign, On The Verge tells the story of one of the most persistent and imaginative campaigns to emerge out of the UK's anti-war movement and direct action scene.

Police attempts to stop On The Verge being screened have also began. The premier screening of the film in Brighton was pulled at the last minute after police invention, and several venues due to host the tour and film have been subjected to police threats.

On the Verge, the film they tried to ban, makes its debut in St Andrews followed by a talk from the makers, Smash EDO themselves.

Watch the trailer: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~oneworld/?q=node/249
Sign up to the facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=29815760617
Read the Guardian article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... .activists

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Everyone has the right to protest, it's the law. What everyone has the responsibility to do is not break the law whilst protesting.

That video clearly shows people breaking the law.

A few examples:

Fencing off a public road.
Standing on the roof of private property.
Tresspass.
Breach of the peace (one example being screaming in the face of a police officer)
Obstructing a police officer in his or her duties.

Many less serious ones also.

With rights come responsibilities.

As for the freedom of speech thing, (about the video, not the protest) the police acted in a stupid manner. If they'd just let the video air then it would have been lost in the shadows of time as the piece of rubbish it is. I don't the particulars of why the police intervened so I can't comment on that specifically.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to Stop the War