Home

TheSinner.net

What's the deal with Toshiko?

Doctor Who Society board

What's the deal with Toshiko?

Postby UanarchyK on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Do we know her deal? When she makes her appearance in Doctor Who she seems to be a doctor working for the government who hasn't seen anything remotely alien, but then in Torchwood -- unless I'm missing something -- she's not "doctory" at all.

Does she get picked up by Harkness for Torchwood based on her experiences with the fake pig alien? And then relinquish all the more medical duties to Owen? Is this another Who-spawned mystery that will continue to plague me forever and never be resolved? yes!
UanarchyK

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:29 pm

I assume she was infiltrating the hospital for whatever illogical reasoning Torchwood were following that particular week :-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Timata on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:29 am

Yes, Wikipedia assumes the same thing, but then goes on to make a convuluted arguement in a footnote:

"The existence of the Torchwood Institute prior to episode "Bad Wolf" is uncertain. While episode "Tooth and Claw" establishes it as having been founded in 1879, there had been no previous mentions of it in the previous 42 year run of the programme. It's possible that while Toshiko may have been working on behalf of Torchwood in "Aliens of London", this could perhaps have occurred prior to a timeline alteration, setting it in an alternate universe where Torchwood does not exist and therefore Toshiko never joined. Whether or not Torchwood existed and simply stayed unmentioned throughout the Doctor Who series remains uncertain, so Toshiko's role in "Aliens of London" may remain open to interpretation until this is directly addressed by either Doctor Who, Torchwood or a spin-off medium."

Anyway, Torchwood London must still have been around then, so why wasn't Jack sticking to Cardiff and leaving any London investigation to them. Paticularly as Torchwood Three is only mean to be investigating and monitoring the rift.

BBC websites are purposefully vague.

Probably try not to think about it too hard.
Timata

Re:

Postby Timata on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:30 am

Oh, and Toshiko is 'doctory' - she gets called in to certify a death in Small Worlds, meaning she must have medical training
Timata

Re:

Postby Colleen on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:36 pm

I always assumed she got taken on board because of her experiences with the Doctor, but isn't allowed to do medical stuff because they're hoping Owen will die of a nasty plague first.

Toshiko is actually my favourite character after Rhys. (Well, I liked Susie a lot more, but, you know, dead and all.) I feel a bit ashamed.

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Has anyone actually seen Toshiko get it on with another human?

Admittedly you would have to be really desperate to go on an undercover mission as a Doctor just to fuck a pig but otherwise it's a valid theory.

Toshiko lurves aliens.

[hr]

IMAGE:userpic.livejournal.com/58288716/4933128
thePontificator

Return to DocSoc