Home

TheSinner.net

Turn Left and The Stolen Earth

Doctor Who Society board

Turn Left and The Stolen Earth

Postby Colleen on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 pm

So, this week's was a good and enjoyable episode and raises several questions about the upcoming weeks and directions the show will take, etc, etc.

Let's be honest, though, we're all just incoherantly screaming with joy at the trailer though, aren't we? Speaking as a convertee to Torchwood and a faithful Sarah-Jane Adventures viewer, I am excited beyond belief. Ianto! Luke! Harriet Jones! And there's also talk of both Jackie and Mickey!

*bounces off the wall*

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:02 pm

I'm skeptical still. Midnight, I really enjoyed, but I think I overlooked alot of it's flaws (which other people I know didn't...many folks weren't a fan).

Tonights episode? Well, I'm glad it's Moffat taking over rather'n more of RTD. Tonights episode, I though, lacked a bit of direction and all the 'cool what ifs' really weren't terribly cool, IMO. It illustrated the...lack of vision that RTD has when it comes to the storytelling itself. As a producer, he's been pretty decent on the whole. But as a writer...there's been something lacking. A whole dimension of feeling I ought to be having that seems to be...entirely lacking.

That said, I'm pleased to see the Whoniverse becoming coherent. There's no avoiding Unit's involvement, and Torchwood being acknowledged pretty severely seems quite alright.

On the whole, it's been a good series with few 'bum deal' episodes. On the otherhand...there's something missing. None of the episodes, for me, have been really captivating.

Davros & Caan are going to have to try very hard to beat the quality of Army of Ghosts and the end of Utopia as an attempt series-finale plot setters!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:35 pm

I quite enjoyed the latest episode - was good to see a story with the focus on Donna because despite my initial reservations i actually quite like her as a companion. It's good to have someone with the doctor who's just looking for a good mate to go have adventures with.

I also like the idea of all of the doctor's companions coming together for the big battle provided the next episode doesn't turn into one big reunion fest. It's really starting to seem like RTD wants to go out with as big a bang as he can.

That said, what was up with Billie Piper's voice? It was like she was trying to speak without opening her mouth near the beginning and she also seemed to be lisping :P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Timata on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Quoting Thalia from 22:35, 22nd Jun 2008
That said, what was up with Billie Piper's voice? It was like she was trying to speak without opening her mouth near the beginning and she also seemed to be lisping :P

We thought she had a brace or something - apparently she had difficulty remembering how to act as Rose, so maybe that's it :S

Not sure about the episode. I liked Midnight, and not just because David Tennant had masses of screen time. It was *different*. I thought last nights was interesting, with the various alternative future events - mostly because of the continuity references (first Dr Who mention of Sarah Jane Adventure characters, and so on). Would have liked to see the Titanic hitting the palace and exploding, but I guess that would have been expensive.

Billie Piper was irritating (her attempts at techno-babble just weren't in character), and not just because of the voice. Tate was very good though, I'm finally changing my mind about her character.

Trailer for next week was amazing (in fact that and the last five minutes of the episode were the best bits - and the TV I was watching them on lost the signal for that part, so I had to download it later) Can't wait to see everyone in next weeks episode, but I'm sceptical as to if it'll be as good as last seasons ending. No John Simm for one ;)
Timata

Re:

Postby Insight on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:10 am

Re: Rose's diction, couldn't help but think she was trying to talk like the doctor, perhaps part of the direction to show her development without him to show the impact he had on her on all things weird n wonderful. Particular lines, not just the words, were delivered very a la David Tennant ("I'm sorry, so sorry" stands out in particular).

[hr]

Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:14 am

River Song said that one too - seems to be turning into a Doctor Who catchphrase ;-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry"
As did Dr Owen Harper in Torchwood in Meat. I remember it well as Owen had actually started to grow on me during season 2. (Not literally, of course, how horrid, Owen growing on you, bleeurgh...)

Also, I forgot to mention how brilliant Cribbins was in the episode. Shame we're unlikely to see more of him if Donna leaves.

Whilst I see it possible that Rose is now becoming...more Doctorish, it doesn't help that she's still a bit...thick. Surely she should be much more at ease and knowledgeable about some stuff, but technobabble still should've been a bit of a...joke for her. "Didn't want to say magic door" would've been a good line to re-use to demonstrate how she's trying to be like the Doctor, but evidently isn't like the Doctor.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Return to DocSoc