Home

TheSinner.net

Language Tables

To share thoughts and tips about hosting events and activities in St Andrews

Language Tables

Postby Freaker on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 am

Is there any society already that does something like facilitate language exchanges? I have a feeling very few people know about the evening language school and their language exchange programs, and that a society could make that easier. My idea is this:

The society would have open meetings every week, in a pub or similar atmosphere, with several tables set up. Each table would be reserved for one language. Each person attending the event would sit on their native language table for 30+ minutes, and after that can move about and practice at other tables. This would hopefully ensure that there is always a native speaker to practice with.

The whole thing would have a very relaxed atmosphere, drop-in drop-out for the meetings, and open to everybody (because meetings should probably be free, membership might pay for things like signs on tables, and maybe a card with a discount somewhere). As such it wouldn't be necessary to have a society - but I'm not sure how to spread word of this if we aren't present at the Societies Fayre (which may not be possible in the first place, given that the society does not exist as of now...).

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, ideas, solutions? Sounds interesting? Worth making a society?

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re: Language Tables

Postby Oli on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 pm

That sounds like a really good idea. Get in touch with Philippa (Director of Student Development and Activities) or Jonathan (Societies Officer) and see if they could either help you start the society, or at the least help arrange a place/time to give it a go (the main bar of the union, or Venue2 would probably be ideal for that sort of thing)
Oli

Postby Freaker on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks, I'll try to get this off the ground then, and try to find 19 people willing to give it a go with me ;) !

I'll see if I can tie it in with English Language Teaching / Evening Language Teaching in any way as well, as there should be lots of people there offering/wanting to learn other languages. Or maybe the International Multicultural Society. So many options!

Would it cost money to get Venue 2? I'd be vary of getting too large a venue to start off with, in case not many people show up, but the main bar may be a little loud in the evenings. I'll think about it!
Freaker

Postby Fawksie on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Room bookings are free for affiliated societies as far as I know.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Freaker on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:05 pm

Woohoo. Those vicious circles! Need a good venue to attract people, but need to have already attracted those people to become affiliated and get the venue. Hmm, maybe I can work something out with the Societies Officer!
Freaker

Postby garnet85 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:51 pm

i'd be really interested in this!
garnet85

Postby Jono on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Freaker wrote:Thanks, I'll try to get this off the ground then, and try to find 19 people willing to give it a go with me ;) !

I'll see if I can tie it in with English Language Teaching / Evening Language Teaching in any way as well, as there should be lots of people there offering/wanting to learn other languages. Or maybe the International Multicultural Society. So many options!

Would it cost money to get Venue 2? I'd be vary of getting too large a venue to start off with, in case not many people show up, but the main bar may be a little loud in the evenings. I'll think about it!

Venue 2 would normally be reserved for one-off and/or money-making events. We've got two (soon rising to three) other rooms you'd be able to use, provided you can find a convenient time slot.
Jono

Return to Societies Ideas Forum