Home

TheSinner.net

Not Again!!!

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Not Again!!!

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:21 pm

OK so we payed through our teeth last year and lived in a building site for a year....

"Oh but it'll be worth it for the great new facilities building!!"

Now they tell us we're getting another building site! I am naeeee happy!

And since I'm moaning... the bleeding laundry room wasnt big enough for the buildings we had...considering the machines were never working! Now we've got what....3 new buildings worth of dirty pants to be cleaned???? And theres more on the way??? I'm worried. Very very worried .
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby Duffman on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 pm

At least you dont't have a window that looks directly out onto the building site, i didnt even apply Lang but the bastards put me there anyway. And i thought the little nursery brats outside my window last year were bad enough!

The laundry room is way too small and being the biggest hall we have the worst computer room, and we have to share that with fife park as it doesnt look like theres one in the new fac building.

[hr]

"Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff"
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby King Henry on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:39 pm

haha, thought it worth seeing if anyone else got the letter this morning!

Doesn't affect me really - the entrance to the site is thru the fife park car park and the new buildings are being constructed behind the rest of DRA. Living in Scott this means it should be relatively peaceful for me...except of course Scott's the first building drunken partiers returning from a night out get to when coming back to DRA.
King Henry

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:03 am

Quoting Duffman from 23:55, 12th Aug 2005
At least you dont't have a window that looks directly out onto the building site, i didnt even apply Lang but the bastards put me there

Lang is also going to be next to the site entrance apparantly;) And I DID choose Lang, because I thought it would be away from the DRA shenanigans, which it might well be, but if I get woken up by a JCB beeping past every morning then that doesn't make too much difference!

Also, I hate to say it, but those lovely Fife Park people, who I personally have no problem with whatsoever, did not get any price hikes. Now, I know they live in shite accomadation (no offence guys but relatively, those houses are a little poo). But they get access to the facilities building while paying bugger all for it. I'm not suggesting that they pay more, I'm suggesting that we pay LESS. That thing will pay for itself, so why do we have to foot the bill exlusively, when so many other people will be making use of it anyway?

Yes yes, I suppose I will shut up and just email accomadation services.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:29 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! What dobbers!! We are paying an extra £500 to live on a building site AGAIN!! And we're gonna hear it, we're in shairp...aaaaaaah!! Some bloody dobbers!!! And the facilities building is bloody tiny...there are gonna be what 11 buildings worth of people-plus fife park people- using it...i've been in and the size of the rooms..ie the "activities room" is tttiiiiiinnnyyyy....what the HELL were you thinking dra folk!! Aaaaaaaah!! And another three buildings!! I thought it would be all peaceful this year, them building three new ones LAST year..and again?? jeeeezo!!

Right, i say we start a petition..on the grounds that the facilities building is too small to accomodate..and that the laundry room is TOOOO SMALLL!!!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby paw paw on Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:56 pm

I was in tulloch last year(and this) and my room looked onto the new facilities building and as i was on the first floor it was actually quite noisey for the whole year with all the building and builders shouting especially at 8 in the morning.

I like how DRA is supposed to be the latest sound proof buildings! aye right!

As for the laundry, maybe we could petition but wouldnt that mean yet more building??

Lets face it, DRA will never be complete, what a bunch of dobbers!
paw paw

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:25 pm

It's all about the MONEY! Let's face it, the university are making a bloody fortune from DRA, whether they admit it or not, so they're clearly going to increase its capacity. But if anyone had bothered to look at the plans that were on various lamposts last semester they'd have known about this from about Easter time.

It stinks, we're going to have more bloody distruption, but what can we do?? Bugger all. Certainly don't think we should be paying the rent we are to live on a building site.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:48 am

The people in fife park do not get the facilities building and pay bugger all for it.

The stuff in the facilities building which costs regular money, ie sky TV, papers, games etc. Will be paid for by both Fife Park and DRA residents.

[hr]

[s]
My entire life in boolean logic

¬emptyGlass(pint) => drinking(Andy)
emptyGlass(pint) AND ¬stomach(full) => buy(pint)
emptyGlass(pint) AND stomach(full) => buy(vodka)
emptyGlass(vodka) => buy(vodka)
¬emptyGlass(vodka) => drinking(Andy) [/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:26 am

I just sent this e-mail to accom serv

Hello,

As the newly elected Fife Park Senior Student I thought I should request some
information regarding current and future facilities at DRA and Fife Park.

Currently we have 12 washers in the laundry, I believe.
There are more than 1000 beds in Fife Park and DRA.
Each was takes 37 Min's.
This means that it will take 51.38 hours for every student to do one load.
Assuming that each student does a coloured and a white load this is 102.74 hours
per week.
The number of hours in a week (From 6AM to 11PM) is 119.

The figure for the number of hours the washing machines are being used is
heavily underestimated. For example, the cycle takes 37mins. This doesn't
include loading/unloading and putting in powder. It also doesn't include
people like myself who do about 3 washes a week.

Basically this means that the washing machines would be in absolute constant use
between the hours of 6AM and 11PM every day of the week. It is certain that
without some kind of management system this just won't work. ( A management
system is likely to be impractical with the varied nature of peoples' course
times)

Are there plans to provide new washing machines for the residents of DRA and
Fife Park?

There is a similar situation regarding PC's in the PC room. Any plans to modify
this?

Thanks for your time

Andy Grayland

[hr]

[s]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Not forgetting, of course, the prats who can't be chuffed to empty the bloody things when their wash is finished.

[hr]

The Yettoner

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:01 pm

And please let us know how they reply. If they can be bothered to. Thanks.

[hr]

The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:01 pm

i agree i hate those people who just leave it there all day!!! and im too polite to take it out...

although saying that i once ran down to collect my washing a mere 2 minutes late and some bitch was emptying my stuff...thats just rude!

its a two way street i suppose...
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:45 pm

If I left my washing i'd EXPECT someone to lift it out...becuase i'd do the same thing...I mean i'd put it in a basket or something but I'd still take it out...

[hr]

Many Bothans died to bring you this information...
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:39 am

you're definitely right about the laundry room. I wonder if they could maybe put a washer and a dryer on the bottom floor of all the buildings, maybe under the stairs? It wouldn't fix everything, but I think it would definitely lighten the load on the laundry room....

[hr]

:( I have no witty signature.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby paw paw on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:56 pm

Lol! what a great idea! if only we had more junkies living in DRA......
paw paw

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:50 am

The equipment provision and increased occupancy of the combined Fife Park and David Russell sites was discussed with the company providing the service last week. At present the ratio of machines to potential users is in line with the norm of around 1:75 with a slight reduction for the scale of the laundry. We are already exploring the need for additional capacity for Phase 1C and if in the short term the usage of the machines did rise to unacceptable levels then we could advance the installation of the equipment to cope with the additional 200 students planned for 2006. It is not in anyone's interest to see the machines in constant use with people being unable to gain access. The ratio mentioned seems to work out across all their sites and has proved about right here to, but does rely on a spread of usage i.e.everyone cannot expect there to be a machine vacant whenever they,particularly if it is at a time when most people seek to visit.

Can we agree to monitor the situation in the short-term and for you to alert the Residence Management if you get reports that things are too busy. We can draw usage information from the machines to show us the level of utilisation. Other options are to discount less popular times to spread the demand. Thanks for your interest in this area.

As far as computer access is concerned our current initiative is to try to establish wireless provision within the David Russell facilities building.I will alert IT Services to your concerns about
capacity.

I am quite happy with this reply for now. What are your opinions?

[hr]

[s]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby JM on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 am

not really convinced to be honest.

they say more about what will happen if things get too busy and how it'll all happen in the future, theres nothing about what they plan to do now, seeing as that is the reason you wrote to them.

but thanks anyways!

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:13 am

Yes, I feel the same. However, what i am happy about is that they can look at the usage of the machines and monitor it. Currently I have no evidence appart from the statistical evaluation above, which they say is in line with other halls.

I think I may push them for this reduction of charges during some periods. This is something I personally would like.

I never expected them to say, right, here are new washing machines so I feel the idea that when there is evidence that it's too busy they will bring forward the introduction of the new machines planned for 2006.

I will also ask why the Laundry in Fife Park can't be openned like it is to summer visitors.

[hr]

[s]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:48 am

Mr Smith

Thank you for your reply of Aug 16th to my question regarding washing machine
provision. I agree that monitoring the usage of machines is a good idea but it
doesn't tackle the issue that is bound to occur when term restarts.

Last year the ability to use a machine at the times which were available to
students, after academic responsibilities, was an issue. There is no doubt
that with the addition of 200 more students this issue will become urgent.

I have recently been informed that the temporary washing facilities, created in
Fife Park during the construction surrounding the current laundry, are still
operational and are open to be used by summer guests. Is there a particular
reason that these facilities cannot be opened during term time?

Following a year of discontent surrounding this situation, I feel to take no
action, apart from monitoring, to be naive. I am very interested in your idea
to have cheap times and peak times. The reason that the machines have peak
usage times is simply due to the fact that other times are inconvenient. A
financial incentive to use the facilities at these inconvenient times would be a
good idea. This would possibly resolve the entire problem of both usage and
discontent without increasing the number of machines. Does the
underlying washing machine technology support such a scheme? If so, what is
the likely hood that such a scheme would be implemented in the near future?

Again, I thank you for your time.

Andy

[hr]

[s]

munchingfoo

Return to David Russell Apartments