Home

TheSinner.net

Not again; moving forward

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Not again; moving forward

Postby Chiwawa33 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:35 pm

I do very much agree with everyone in St. Andrews who would say that DRA prices are simply ridiculous! Working out the £3500 cost over the contact period, it works out to over £100 per week. For accomodation that's over a mile from lectures, all Self Catered and where you have to pay a fair amount for a bus ride in, it just angers me even more.

Comparatively, to other halls, we pay far far more. Why is this? I would guess that it's down to the level of demand. (Yes, I sadly do have to admit to being an economics student) Where there is high demand, there are inevitably high prices, so we have essentially all been utterly fleeced. Why? Because if it weren't I who applied for DRA and was "willing" (perhaps this is not the best word) to pay the money, the next person would. In this type of situation (we could liken it to a monopolistic situation if you like) we, the consumer, have no say in the price. It is dictated to us.

Consider how much revenue is gained (not accounting for costs) when you add up everyone's fees?
£3500 x approx. 800 students in DRA = £2.8m

Now, I don't know how much the DRA project cost, but I would estimate a few mill. The point however is that when you build accomodation such as this, you usually expect to get your money back over the space of a NUMBER of years. I'd assume that they'll be back in pocket a lot sooner than most!! Why? BEcause of the extortionate pricing.

Whilst I feel that we are perhaps unable to avoid ourselves paying the unfathomable prices for this year, lets at least do something for those people next year. If the price increases yet again, I would feel very sorry for those who, like us, feel that they have little other choice.

Do you want to live in a shabby shithole and share a shower between 5 people? Do you want to live in a room no bigger than the size of a shoebox? Do you want to live in what looks like an open prison? (No offence New Hallers) No. Well I dont either, which is why I chose DRA. I just resent the fact that because I want a decent place to live, I am forced to pay what is quite honestly, a ridiculous price. Ask any other person at any other university.

The time to act is now, before our brothers and sisters, future academic sons and daughters and gripped by this merciless plague that is.... the price of DRA accomodation.....!!!!!!
Chiwawa33

Return to David Russell Apartments