Home

TheSinner.net

Hall Subs.....

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Hall Subs.....

Postby JM on Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:51 am

Hey,

I heard that New Hall(ers) dont pay subs upfront this year cos its in with their rent. Is this the same for DRA or do we still have to pay £50 when we get our swipe card thing?

thanks!

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:59 am

'tis in the rent I believe

[hr]

[s]
My entire life in boolean logic

¬emptyGlass(pint) => drinking(Andy)
emptyGlass(pint) AND ¬full(stomach) => buy(pint)
emptyGlass(pint) AND full(stomach) => buy(vodka)
emptyGlass(vodka) => buy(vodka)
¬emptyGlass(vodka) => drinking(Andy) [/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby paw paw on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:01 am

They were thinking of including it in the rent but im sure it says in our contract that we have to pay the subs on top of the rent. You dont have to pay it to get your swipe card tho, i think you get like a month to do it
paw paw

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:28 pm

Am I right in thinking that we have to pay £50 hall subs - which is technically for use of the facilities building - when fife park have access to the same facilities and don't have to pay anything?!

Re:

Postby JM on Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting from 18:44, 8th Sep 2005
Am I right in thinking that we have to pay £50 hall subs - which is technically for use of the facilities building - when fife park have access to the same facilities and don't have to pay anything?!

I think so, and so begins another round of complaining. i think there was a board that had alot of unhappy DRA-ers complaining about that.

Is there anyone on the DRA committee that can tell us if we have to pay £50 on the day, or is it in rent. PS: thanks munchingfoo n pawpaw.

[hr]

JM

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:26 am

You are both incorrect in your assertions that the DRA residents pay £50 for the use of the communal facilities and Fife Park pay nothing on a number of counts.

The £50 you pay mostly goes into paying for the DRA ball, christmas party, other activites. The facilities building is funded by ResBus, not hall funds.

There are some things in the building which the committee pays for, such as Sky TV and news papers. A small amount of money has been added onto the Fife Park rents (source: warden) to cover this. i will speak to Jim to find out exactly how much this is.

Ben and I, the Fife Park senior student, intend to eventually have everyone paying the same amount (if voted for). Until this time Fife Park students will be able to pay a full hall sub if they wish (£50 - whatever was on rents already) and be allowed full access to DRA events such as the ball.

[hr]

[s]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:47 pm

If Fife Park residents get a choice of paying Subs or not, then so should we, I CAN'T AFFORD THEM AND DON'T WANNA GO TO NO DRA BALL!
papercutheart

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Isn't it stipulated in the contract that you go into halls, you pay the hall subs?

Also, if you're strapped for cash, why not choose a more cost effective hall to enter into? DRA ain't the cheapest.

Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Indeed, all hall contracts stipulate that you will pay the hall subs - set by the hall committee - and that if you fail to, that it will become a fine which will prevent you from graduating.

If you're unable to pay it - special dispensations can be given.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting papercutheart from 17:47, 10th Sep 2005
If Fife Park residents get a choice of paying Subs or not, then so should we, I CAN'T AFFORD THEM AND DON'T WANNA GO TO NO DRA BALL!

Fife Park students will get the option to pay because they are not members of DRA. I would have thought this would be quite clear to you, as a university student, no?

Like mentioned previously, hall subs are not a form of stealth tax or anything. Every student is aware of them (if they read the contract, which they should do before signing it).

[hr]

[s]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:42 pm

Well if Fife Park students aren't part of DRA then they shouldn't pay hall subs at all.

They shouldn't be given a choice to be part of DRA or not, if they wanna be part of DRA then they should stay in DRA, not Fife Park!

Basically what I'm saying is, if they can opt in, we should be able to opt out.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Yeah, that's really nice. Did you sign the contract? If yes, sorry, you don't have a leg to stand on. If not, you aren't moving in to DRA. Oh dear.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Did you read anything? You're not PAYING for those facilities when you pay hall subs. You're paying for social functions and so on - you've already agreed to pay hall subs they are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

And fucking come on £50 on top of thousands of pounds for rent is nothing.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 am

If you can afford to pay the £3600 to stay in DRA for 9 months....i dont't see how you can complain about paying the £50 for events and shit....and as people have said, you signed the contract to say that you would pay the £50..regardless of whether you plan to go to the events or not....DOBBERS
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby JM on Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:44 pm

i dont mind paying subs whatsoever, i only asked when we pay them.

where was the DRA ball last year? i never heard anything about it at all.

[hr]

JM

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:21 pm

Those comments were not directed towards you JM, they were directed at papercutheart.

[hr]

[s]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby dra senior student on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 pm

I can't believe this stuff has already started and no-one's moved in.

At the end of the year, it was voted that hall subs are collected by the University on our behalf. This will ensure that they are paid, even if someone doesn't know about them. However, as Andy said, it's by no means a stealth tax and is clearly written in the contracts that there is a £50 hall sub to be paid per year at DRA.

The point made that if Fife Parkers can opt in, why aren't the DRAers allowed to opt out is simply because it is written in the contract. Also, we tend to organise events like the ball to accommodate for twice the number of people in the hall. There are 731 beds in DRA - that makes a ball for near to 1500 people. We sell the tickets we have left over and what Andy and I are doing by asking for voluntary subs is offering a one-year, up-front subscription entitling you to the same benefits that DRA residents enjoy under the "Social Fund" part of the hall sub description.

If you live in DRA, you will have to pay £50. If you live in Fife Park, it will be optional.
dra senior student

Re:

Postby dra senior student on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 pm

At the end of the year, it was voted that hall subs are collected by the University on our behalf. This will ensure that they are paid, even if someone doesn't know about them. However, as Andy said, it's by no means a stealth tax and is clearly written in the contracts that there is a £50 hall sub to be paid per year at DRA.

The point made that if Fife Parkers can opt in, why aren't the DRAers allowed to opt out is simply because it is written in the contract. Also, we tend to organise events like the ball to accommodate for twice the number of people in the hall. There are 731 beds in DRA - that makes a ball for near to 1500 people. We sell the tickets we have left over and what Andy and I are doing by asking for voluntary subs is offering a one-year, up-front subscription entitling you to the same benefits that DRA residents enjoy under the "Social Fund" part of the hall sub description.

If you live in DRA, you will have to pay £50. If you live in Fife Park, it will be optional.
dra senior student

Re:

Postby dra senior student on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:29 pm

dra senior student

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:37 pm

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Return to David Russell Apartments