Home

TheSinner.net

DRA Bar

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

DRA Bar

Postby The Badger Machine on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 pm

How come the DRA bar is much more expensive than the union. Do they get pack horses to ship the beer from the union to the facilities building or something?

And how small is Steve the barman, he can barely see over the bar. Tis mildly commical.
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:04 am

Indeed my tipple of a Double Russian Coke has a 15% markup on union prics. Shoddy business, they only open till 11 because the place is never busy, this is why!
papercutheart

Re:

Postby dra senior student on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:17 pm

The prices in the DRA bar are higher because they have to have extra staff on top of those working in the Union. It's only for residents and their guests, so it's just an added luxury for DRA.

You'd have to drink quite a lot for it to be more expensive for you to be here than taking a taxi into and back from town and going to the Union.

As always, a diffinitive answer,
-Ben
dra senior student

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 pm

I've never thought about it like that Ben. Very good point. Thanks for your time. I love you. Aaaaaaaaaaaaawrnge.
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby The Badger Machine on Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:33 pm

Quoting dra senior student from 14:17, 7th Oct 2005
The prices in the DRA bar are higher because they have to have extra staff on top of those working in the Union. It's only for residents and their guests, so it's just an added luxury for DRA.

While i can accept that the bar is just a luxury, your explanation for why it is dearer (and i'm sure it's the official reply rather than yours so i'm not directing my moan at you) does not make sense. The union will have to hire extra staff but these staff will be paid for by the money they make from selling drinks at DRA. I don't believe for a second that the staff at the DRA bar get paid more than the staff at the union therefore the staff cost will be exactly the same for the union and the DRA bar so the prices should be the same. The only reason that the DRA bar would have for being dearer would be an extra cost that it would have that the union does not. Unless the DRA bar does have an extra cost then the students are being ripped off and its being excused by some made up and deliberately ambiguous pish.

And DRA does cost the most of all the self catered halls so you would expect that we would have luxuries such as a bar.

And I think you mean definitive rather than diffinitive.
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:12 pm

I think Ben's implying the staff that work in the bistro, reception etc. And you won't be moaning about the prices when it's freezing cold and pissin it down in December and you can just go down to the bar for a drink. Having said that I think the committee needs to get more events goin in the bar area. After all it was supposed to be a communal area where everyone from DRA could mingle and get to know each other.

Is it just me or does DRA seem really dead and quiet aswell??

Quoting The Badger Machine from 17:33, 7th Oct 2005
Quoting dra senior student from 14:17, 7th Oct 2005

While i can accept that the bar is just a luxury, your explanation for why it is dearer (and i'm sure it's the official reply rather than yours so i'm not directing my moan at you) does not make sense. The union will have to hire extra staff but these staff will be paid for by the money they make from selling drinks at DRA. I don't believe for a second that the staff at the DRA bar get paid more than the staff at the union therefore the staff cost will be exactly the same for the union and the DRA bar so the prices should be the same. The only reason that the DRA bar would have for being dearer would be an extra cost that it would have that the union does not. Unless the DRA bar does have an extra cost then the students are being ripped off and its being excused by some made up and deliberately ambiguous pish.

And DRA does cost the most of all the self catered halls so you would expect that we would have luxuries such as a bar.

And I think you mean definitive rather than diffinitive.
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Fully Collapsed on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:59 pm

It really is dead at the moment. Last year had so much more of a community feel, despite the lack of a communal area. I don't know what happened......

Anyway - more events in the facilities building would be good
Fully Collapsed

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:09 pm

Quoting griggsy from 18:12, 7th Oct 2005

No, you just have no friends.

Personally, innit, I love the DRA bar. It's just...well, they can't do anything right. Everyone bitched for a communal area last year, and now there is one, a lot of those people (I recognise the fact that a lot of those people weren't here last year and so might take the communal area for granted) are bitching that the fucking alcohol prices cost more than the union.

Boo fucking hoo. I just feel sorry for that girl in the bistro who gets to stand around doing nothing for money. Or I envy her. Hmm.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby The Badger Machine on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:28 pm

I think Ben's implying the staff that work in the bistro, reception etc.

Are you seriously suggesting that the DRA bar pays for the receptionists? Above all that do you honestly think that the extra 60p on pints can all be justified and none is just the usual university profiteering?

And as to the comments of other wankers just because people complained about not having a communal area doesn't mean that they can't complain if its crap. It is great that we have a communal area but it could be so much better if it was cheaper and opened longer. And it would probably make more money if it was cheaper because more people would come in and the people there would buy more beer, I know I would.
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby Brother Munro on Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:50 am

Face it, the bar (and indeed the entire facilities building) wasn't put in for us, it was put in for the buisnessmen and golfers who are here over the summer (and pay a lot more money than we do). After all if the facilities building was intended for us they would have put a post room in it so that the porters didn't have to spend their time off sitting in the Fife Park office (and therefore only allowing us to collect parcels at silly times).

[hr]

Hail Ilpalazzo!
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
http://web.mac.com/brothermunro My Page of Random
Brother Munro

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:44 pm

Why is it i've come to expect a sarcastic comment everytime I post on the sinner wine boy??

I don't feel sorry for the girl working in the bistro; we went in there last week, ordered 3 paninis and she couldnt work out the cost on the touch screen. Why the fuck do they need so many poeple workin in the bistro aswell? It's only ever Jim who eats in there anyway

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 19:09, 7th Oct 2005

No, you just have no friends.

Personally, innit, I love the DRA bar. It's just...well, they can't do anything right. Everyone bitched for a communal area last year, and now there is one, a lot of those people (I recognise the fact that a lot of those people weren't here last year and so might take the communal area for granted) are bitching that the fucking alcohol prices cost more than the union.

Boo fucking hoo. I just feel sorry for that girl in the bistro who gets to stand around doing nothing for money. Or I envy her. Hmm.
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:54 pm

Do you mean Mr.Brown? Well, he's there where it's needed - all that laughing and tomfoolery. Let's hope he brings his red nose and his scooter along next time! Wheeeeee!

Never a dull moment.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby McNugget on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:19 pm

Today was quite busy in the bistro, I like eating in there. The food's good, the staff are friendly, and it's not nearly as expensive as it should be for the quality of food they serve. Just because people personally don't like it doesn't mean that the rest of us have to follow suit. I'm glad we have somewhere to hang out in without a long trek to town. If the prices of the drinks really bother you that much, just don't drink there. The drinks are better quality that the union anyway.
McNugget

Re:

Postby Lau on Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:30 pm

The drinks are better quality that the union anyway.

How are the drinks better quality?!! It's exactly the same stock as the union, served in exactly the same glasses that the union use...there is no difference!
Lau

Re:

Postby McNugget on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:14 pm

The vodka is Smirnoff, not red bear that the union uses. Don't say that the tennents is the same as the union. It might have something to do with the pipes at the union as to why tennants tastes fowl there. I don't purposely mean to defend tennants, but it tastes better and is more chilled in dra.
McNugget

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:13 pm

Yes, given exactly the same barrel of anything there are so many ways to make it taste better or worse.

Cleanliness of pipes
Age of pipes
Distance from pipes to tap
Pressure in pipes
Cleanliness of glasses
Scratches on glasses

and also, surprisingly

the look and feel of the situation it is drunk in.

"What! You want a what? Not in this pub. It's a pint for the man and a fruit based drink or a glass of wine for the ladies!"

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:28 am

I like working in the bistro - i basically get paid to do bugger all and i'm constantly praying that none of the people in charge actually realise this :-P

And no, i'm not the girl who works the till - i'm not worthy of my fingerprint having access to it :-(

[hr]

[s]A Question
A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.
---Robert Frost[/s]
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:03 pm

My drinks are 19% and 32% more expensive, depending on what mood I'm feeling in.

DRA Bar is much quieter than its union counterpart, but then it's much more convenient. It does seem to be backfiring quite a bit though, its emptiness is noticable to say the least, and those that do stop by aren't in for a 'sesh', they use it as a staging post between here and the long walk inward bound.

After a word with one of our exalted sabattical last week, I brought the topic up. It seems that it's a simple case of supply and demand, we're stupid enough to pay it, so they can get away with charging it. Seems like straightforward business to me.

The worrying bit is this is referred to has 'term prices'.. I dread to think what they charge when the golf's on.

(Edited..)
Something else I forgot to mention.. The Bistro is great, I do feel mildly guilty that it's there and I never seem to get round to using it. For the money, there's plenty of food!
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Put it this wa...as someone has already said..fair enough the drinks are more expensive...but isnt it better than nothing???
Jeeeezoo...folk moaned last year cos we have nothing..and now we do..you moan again!!!
Aaaaandd if you look at it, it is still cheaper than most of the pubs in st andys...duuudddes!

Aaaaaaaaaaand there will be events in the facilities bar..you just need to give us a wee chance..we have plans..but rememember there are elections on just now to be on the committee.....and there are onl four of us at the moment..

If you want to be of input to what events we do, then email ben on bdb2.....
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting Thalia from 01:28, 10th Oct 2005
I like working in the bistro - i basically get paid to do bugger all and i'm constantly praying that none of the people in charge actually realise this :-P

And no, i'm not the girl who works the till - i'm not worthy of my fingerprint having access to it :-(

Did you work in DRA over the summer too?

[hr]

"We will build our own cities in which there will be no place for humans except to serve our ends, and we shall found our own armies, our own religion, our own dynasty, and that day is upon you NOW"
Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Phantasm

Next

Return to David Russell Apartments