Home

TheSinner.net

Lang - builders

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Lang - builders

Postby Sick of builders on Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi folks

This is to those on the side of Lang where the builders are. Wondered how many are up for complaining about them:

1. They're noisy at VERY early times in the morning, even on Saturdays

2. They're perverts

3. They're rude

Given we weren't told about the building work until AFTER we'd signed the contract we believe we're owed compensation, especially given whoever's in charge around DRA has done sod all about responses to complaints thus far. Therefore, if anyone's up for it we can all complain together, then they have no viable excuse for ignoring us. If they do, we might continue with a view to legal action, which I am led to believe we have a good cause for.

If anyone likes the idea, post here and we can arrange something.
Sick of builders

Re:

Postby McNugget on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:25 pm

one of my flatmates looked out of the window to have a builder give him the fingers. They constantly stare in, privacy is a thing of the past in lang.
McNugget

Re:

Postby ezra on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:53 pm

i'm in Tulloch, but facing the builders. i'm particularly pissed off by two things:

i. we weren't told about them until we signed the contract

and

ii. they use the noisy stuff - angle-grinders, drills, whatever - as early as possible, and then sit around drinking tea for a few hours.

This is doubtless fine if you're the type of early bird who wakes at 7am and is off to lectures by 8, but for an owlish phD student like me it's fucking hellish. I don't get to sleep until late, so i need a bit of a lie-in to compensate.

bastards.

yes, we should complain; yes, we could probably argue for a rebate. this happened when i was an undergrad, and something like a 15% rebate was negotiated. that'd be over 500 quid for those of you on long contracts.
ezra

Re:

Postby Damo on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:01 am

Well I'm up in Lang 11 with Rob, and we've been meaning to go down for a while. Glad to hear we're not the only ones getting increasingly pissed off by the building work.

I'm pretty sure there's a law against them starting up their machines at 7:30am in a residential area. They wake me up at the crack of dawn every goddamn morning the motherfuckers, then about an hour later they sit about doing nothing.

I find it hard to believe that those in charge have no idea what's going on each morning. Plus without informing us beforehand, they haven't got much of a leg to stand on regards refusing us compensation. Going in there with a firm idea about where we stand legally would be an idea, so we can whip out the nuclear option if they start being obstinate about it. I'm sure we're not the only building who are suffering too.
Damo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:20 am

Well I'm convinced I saw one of them set up a cement mixer facing toward the fence (as in, to get the mix out you'd need to wheel the thing back round), turn it on, bugger off, come back, turn it off...um...why? YES, mixing cement, I know but facing the wrong way? At 7.30am?

They have also started up engines then turned them off for no apparant reason. I hate them all and want to shoot them.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:17 am

I'd definatly be up for complaining. It really does take the mickey that they only told us about the work after we signed the contracts - they must have known months beforehand the work was going to happen.

And if another one of those builders gives me the finger for trying to admire the "view" from our window I'll throw a bloody egg at him. It's about time DRA stopped ripping us off and generally treating the residents like something they stepped in.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby ezra on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:26 pm

ok, we should get this organised; from past experience, the best way to do it is to have one (or two) people co-ordinating stuff, and then to deliver a letter with as many signatories as possible. so, perhaps, draft a clear and polite letter, and then take it round all of the relevant flats and collect signatures. and the sooner the better: an obvious rejoinder would be 'well, if it was causing so many problems, why didn't you complain earlier?'

as far as the legal bit goes, i'm really not sure where we stand, but I strongly suspect that we don't have much legal recourse open to us. in any case, it would probably be more sensible to take a non-confrontational approach to begin with - i.e. 'we're really not happy with this, for the following reasons . . .', since that's more likely to get results. the one thing that you don't want to happen is for this to turn into a confrontation between a bunch of busy, disorganised, and generally broke students on the one hand, and a clutch of full-time, professional, organised, and extremely well-funded university legal admin types on the other.
ezra

Re:

Postby paw paw on Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:39 pm

I completely agree with everyone about the builders cos i was on the first floor of tulloch last year aswell and they were working on the fac building. They could see right in our flat all the time and they were soooooo noisey which seemed to be worst round about exam time but to be honest DRA arent goin to do anything about it...as in give money back etc. as they didnt do anything last year..im not sayin its not a good idea to complain, i just dont think they will even listen...
paw paw

Re:

Postby [James] on Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:27 am

I doubt my experience is anywhere near as bad as those above, but I live on the ground floor of Shairp, facing the building site and I'm often woken up by the work. If you're planning on complaining to DRA management then sure, I'm on your side. Besides, I was under the impression during the summer that all the building work was complete? It was certainly a surprise to get that letter...
[James]

Re:

Postby fatboy on Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:49 pm

I was told the best thing to do is go and see Ben Reilly in the Union and ask him to present our complaint. Personally i doubt much will happen if we do complain, DRA seem particularly adept at side-stepping valid complaints and generally getting away with providing a crap service. Its definitely worth a shot though i guess.
fatboy

Re:

Postby Brother Munro on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:45 pm

Those builders also seem very fond of reversing everywhere. Also the angle grinder guy has been really getting on my nerves lately, and my window faces away from the noisy sods. I do not appreciate being next to builders for another year >:(

[hr]

Hail Ilpalazzo!
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
Courage and Honour!
http://www.everyclick.com/uk/ Search the internet Charitably
http://www.coronarythrombosistrust.org.uk Save a Heart
http://web.mac.com/brothermunro My Page of Random
Brother Munro

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:21 pm

I quite like the builders. I can sleep through anything and they always say "Morning!!" ...it's my favourite part of the day.
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby km on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:53 pm

So what's the story with this - any plans as to what to do? I'm sick of DRA treating us residents like pieces of s**t, we already pay way too much for this place and to have the piss ripped out of us at every oppurtinity is really not on. First our hall fees go up - presumably to pay for that joke of a facilities building, which supplies us with what every student wants - 300 conference rooms! And then the builders.... Anyway, I better calm down or this could get ugly.
Suffice to say I really am not happy with DRA this year, (I'm on the ground floor - open curtains are a thing of the past)and we really should do something about this.
km

Re:

Postby ezra on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:50 pm

well, I'm not back for another week or so, but I'd happily meet up and draft a letter when I'm back. or if anyone else wants to get started . . .?
ezra

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting km from 13:53, 8th Jan 2006
So what's the story with this - any plans as to what to do? I'm sick of DRA treating us residents like pieces of s**t, we already pay way too much for this place and to have the piss ripped out of us at every oppurtinity is really not on. First our hall fees go up - presumably to pay for that joke of a facilities building, which supplies us with what every student wants - 300 conference rooms! And then the builders.... Anyway, I better calm down or this could get ugly.
Suffice to say I really am not happy with DRA this year, (I'm on the ground floor - open curtains are a thing of the past)and we really should do something about this.

Are you a first year? If so you wouldn't know about the accom rent increase agreement ( total bag of shit and we were well and truely shafted up the arse and the union rolled over and took it like a good boy) and how at the time it was a tiny bit better than the offer they had proposed. Basically, through bad management in my opinion, the residential side of the uni loses shit loads of money. All halls except New Hall, DRA, Fife Park and Albany, i think, run at a loss. These profitable residences subsidise the non profitable ones. Every residence, except Albany and Fife Park (due to another low cost accom agreement), is set to have it's rent increased by 40% over 4 years (starting 2004) so all these increases have already been agreed.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:06 pm

I can't believe they're making so much chuffing noise during revision and exam period. How are we supposed to concentrate? It takes the mickey.

[hr]

The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Duffman on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:05 pm

Ok, I just got this email about not causing noise disturbance during the revision period, what about those of us next to the building site!? I've been disturbed almost non-stop since I got back, this is taking the piss now!

[hr]

Sometimes people leave you, halfway through the woods.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby McNugget on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:59 pm

It's mildly amusing that the new building opposite lang has had one of its walls fall over hehe.
McNugget

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Now that *was* funny. Did you see the look on the face of the guy stood next to it?

[hr]

The Yettoner

Re:

Postby km on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting Duffman from 15:05, 11th Jan 2006
Ok, I just got this email about not causing noise disturbance during the revision period, what about those of us next to the building site!? I've been disturbed almost non-stop since I got back, this is taking the piss now!

[hr]

I replied to that e-mail, saying how unfair this whole situation is. Here's what I got back:

Thanks for your email. I fully agree that the noise created by the building
work is not at all conducive to a healthy study environment, however,
unfortunately, the activities of the builders are out with my remit but I
will pass your email on to the DRA Manager, Sarah Pay, who will be able to
raise your concerns with Residential & Business Services.

So basically they couldn't care less and will do nothing.
km

Next

Return to David Russell Apartments