Home

TheSinner.net

DRA anti-social?

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:02 pm

exactly! and it seems as though our hall subs have been used to organise 2 events whereas other halls seem to get much more! i think we are getting royally screwed in dra!!
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby B!TCH on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:01 pm

Exactly, ''Barbie Doll'' I totally agree.
I used to be in John Burnett for one semester, and we got loads---Fernie Castle x2, Ladies Nights, Gents Nights, Toga Party, Hall Masquerade Ball, all with free alcohol, and tthat was only in the semester that I was there for.

Ive often always wondered, and would like to know, who takes care of our actual subs, is it a senior authority, because at the end of the day, Im sure money is left over. Hmmm.

In your words, BD-we are getting totally 100% screwed.
B!TCH

Re:

Postby toffee on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:52 pm

I think it's really unfair to say that DRA is anti-social and especially to say that there have only been two events organised and that we're getting "royally screwed".

In Freshers' Week, we had a pub crawl, 3 BBQs with mucho free alcohol, the we've had the Hallowe'en party, the Christmas Party, there was an attempt at a party for Children in Need, but no one turned up, there have been numerous pub quizes (with prizes usually worth £80), and I'm sure there's more events coming. Admittedly, not all of these events have a huge cost (ie, the pub crawl and quizes), but it definitely takes an effort. The people on the Committee spend hours each week organising stuff for us to do and really don't get any benefits from it - and rarely do we thank them. Just because it's not your typ of thing, it doesn't mean there is nothing going on.

It's really a poor show when we live here, pay hall subs, expect social events, don't attend any of them and then complain. The onus is completely on each of the residents when it comes to making DRA a social place and the Committee can't force us to go to events.

And to say we don't get our money's worth? If we didn't live in DRA and paid seperately for all the events we get, that's £1 for each pub quiz (probably about 8 in a year), two £5 tickets for the Christmas party, two £15 tickets for the Ball. There are newspapers in the Bistro and Sky in the Bar and Nisbet Room - both of which the Committee pay for. Let's add that up... I make that £48 plus the newspapers and Sky which we can't really break down into a per-person cost. Other than the Ball, I'm sure there will be more events in the next semester and people still say that we don't get our money's worth.

I know I'm sort of on a rant, but this isn't my first year in DRA and this probably isn't my last. You can't say it's "boring" and has lost it's "atmosphere" when you walk past blocks at 2am and there are groups of people outside most nights of the week. Maybe you guys are just living in the wrong blocks....?

Basically, to have a better time in DRA, go to the events spend more time meeting people in DRA (there are more than 700 people, no one person knows everyone) and make it a sociable place! It's up to you to do it, I know I'm doing my part!
toffee

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:37 pm

when i say we are getting screwed we are!! our hall subs do not have to go far to organise half of the stuff that is put on, for example when there are organised pub crawls WE have to pay for the alcohol, its not like the hall subs pay for them. And teh quiz nights, ok fair enough the hall subs pay for the main prize, but what is it, £50, one persons hall subs when there are 700 people in DRA and people in fife park too!! And Sandy usually donates the smaller prizes! Oh and i have never ever been to a pub quiz where you have to pay to enter, except for the charity ones!! And the halloween party, In the facilities bar, no cost!!

I amnt saying there isnt an effort involved in it, im just saying it is hardly half of what other halls get. Okay and so the onus is on individual people to go HOWEVER the commitee could put out a survey and ask the residents what they would like to see organised!!! Then surely if the people of DRA get what they want then they will attend.

And I am aware as well that I am also on a rant, however I am just pointing out what many people are thinking.
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby B!TCH on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:40 pm

DRA IS SHIT LA LA LA LA
LA LA LA LA
DRA IS SHIT LA LA LA LA

Yep theres effort, my flatmate does her hardest, but thats the problem
Its HER one person ONE PERSON DOING ALL THE HARD WORK, ESP SINCE SHE DOES TRIPLE HONOURS

If all you guys put effort in who are on the comittee itd be better

My flatmate is organising the ball-even though she int the ball convener,,,because what dus the ball convener do eh ehe eh?????

AND WE ARE ALL ALLOWED OUR OPINIONS, WITHOUT GETTING PETTY.

I still wanna know
WHERE IS ALL THE LEFTOVER MONEY,,,,,AND WE NEVER DRANK ALL THE ALCOHOL FROK THE BBQS---WHERE IS IT HAS IT GONE
B!TCH

Re:

Postby paw paw on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Okay although i agree that more could be done i think the committee does try its hardest...you do have to remember that they have degrees to get aswell so can only do so much before it starts to interfer with their workload however the real point should be why on earth is the DRA bar and bistro closed or on reduced hours!?! im sick of paying for this building if we dont get to use it...and i for one can say that my friends and i do use it for the nisbet room, the bistro and the bar. Im not grudging paying for it but please just let us in it!
paw paw

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:23 pm

Fair point Paw Paw, the committe can only do so much before it starts to interfere, so why not get a bigger, more powerful committee? Surely if there were more people on board, for example more ordinary or alternate memebers who only help with the arrangements and have no real position except to help the other memebers. I know the logistical problems with that, ie. its harder to make decisions, however maybe it would make it easier on the existing members.

And yeah why is the dra bar etc shut?? This is the time we would be using it most!!
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:02 am

i think we all need to move
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby Thalia on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:02 pm

The bistro goes on reduced hours when not enough people are coming in to buy food there i.e. it was only open till half 3 last friday because so few people had been in on the other evenings that they just weren't making enough money to make it worth their while to open.

Half the students aren't in st andrews right now, why do you think it would be profitable for the bistro to be open for the whole day for the sake of just a handful of people?

I'm assuming the thinking behind the bar is the same.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 pm

I think it's really unfair to say that DRA is anti-social and especially to say that there have only been two events organised and that we're getting "royally screwed".

In Freshers' Week, we had a pub crawl, 3 BBQs with mucho free alcohol, the we've had the Hallowe'en party, the Christmas Party, there was an attempt at a party for Children in Need, but no one turned up, there have been numerous pub quizes (with prizes usually worth £80), and I'm sure there's more events coming. Admittedly, not all of these events have a huge cost (ie, the pub crawl and quizes), but it definitely takes an effort. The people on the Committee spend hours each week organising stuff for us to do and really don't get any benefits from it - and rarely do we thank them. Just because it's not your typ of thing, it doesn't mean there is nothing going on.

It's really a poor show when we live here, pay hall subs, expect social events, don't attend any of them and then complain. The onus is completely on each of the residents when it comes to making DRA a social place and the Committee can't force us to go to events.

And to say we don't get our money's worth? If we didn't live in DRA and paid seperately for all the events we get, that's £1 for each pub quiz (probably about 8 in a year), two £5 tickets for the Christmas party, two £15 tickets for the Ball. There are newspapers in the Bistro and Sky in the Bar and Nisbet Room - both of which the Committee pay for. Let's add that up... I make that £48 plus the newspapers and Sky which we can't really break down into a per-person cost. Other than the Ball, I'm sure there will be more events in the next semester and people still say that we don't get our money's worth.

I know I'm sort of on a rant, but this isn't my first year in DRA and this probably isn't my last. You can't say it's "boring" and has lost it's "atmosphere" when you walk past blocks at 2am and there are groups of people outside most nights of the week. Maybe you guys are just living in the wrong blocks....?

Basically, to have a better time in DRA, go to the events spend more time meeting people in DRA (there are more than 700 people, no one person knows everyone) and make it a sociable place! It's up to you to do it, I know I'm doing my part!

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Toffee, what does onus mean?
Seems like a different person wrote that, what is the point?
snidey

Re:

Postby Boxers on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:08 pm

B!TCH instead of slating all of us on the committee and moaning about how much work you're flatmate does when she does triple honours, perhaps you should maybe join the committee next year and help out! You seem to be pretty vocal about how little the committee does! The other thing is, you and whoever else rant at us, coz apparently we do nothing, but if this is true (which it isn't) at least we ran for positions and are trying to help out run DRA. When the elections took place, most positions only had one candidate! Does that not say something...you're prepared to sit and rant about us, but in actual fact you couldn't be arsed yourself to get up off your backside to help anyway!

To barbiedoll...the reason you have never been charged for a pub quiz is because we decided it would be better for you, already having paid your hall subs, not to have to pay for that as well.

Also, I've said this before to other people, people don't seem to have any comprehension of how much it costs to run/create events. It takes a hell of alot of money to do the ball and xmas party etc. As well as paying for the place, dj etc, food and drink, we have to pay for transport there, insurance etc. Which is a hell of alot when there's 1400 people going!

This is the thing that really irritates me. You get people moaning about how little we on the committee do, which is completely unsubtanciated. They say we're screwing them out of their hall subs, when they actually have no idea whatsoever as to how much it costs to setup and run events. If you want to raise these problems with the committee rather than just moaning about it on the sinner, speak to your year reps. The committee isn't just there to put events on, we're there to help with problems and issues residents in the hall have, so come and talk to us. We'd be happy to raise it at meetings.
Boxers

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:11 pm

"To barbiedoll...the reason you have never been charged for a pub quiz is because we decided it would be better for you, already having paid your hall subs, not to have to pay for that as well. "

I mean outside of DRA. i have been to quite a few pub quizzes (my parents like them) and never do we get charged, the organisers make enough money out of the bar!

"Also, I've said this before to other people, people don't seem to have any comprehension of how much it costs to run/create events."

And i do know how much it costs to organise events, having been a member of other commitees at school where we orgainsed the ball!! I know it costs alot but other halls have them as well!!! and heaps of other things too!!

And finally the reason I am not on the committee is because I know i would clash with certain members that were already elected! And that wouldnt be productive!

edited for my crap punctuation
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby Boxers on Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:29 pm

Barbiedoll...the bit about people not knowing how much it cost to run events, was not directed at you in. It was just a general comment about what I'd observed about alot of people.

Your point about the pub quiz, proved my point. We know people normally don't get charged for pub quizes, but we don't have the benfit of making profit through the bar, that goes to the student association. So we decide not to charge you, like a normal pub quiz and because you have already paid hall-subs. Also if we had say, an £80 first prize, a £50 second prize and then a £30 third rpzie for example, thats £160. There's usually 5,6 or 7 pub quizzes a year, thats almost a grand in pub quiz prizes alone! It's just not feasible if we want to have a ball, xmas party and other events too. Our budget isn't as expansive as everyone seems to think!
Boxers

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:07 am

[b]Quoting Boxers from 17:29, Our budget isn't as expansive as everyone seems to think!

700+ PEOPLE, 50 quid a head....
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:58 pm

Do the DRA committee still publish accounts?
Rennie

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:22 pm

If requested they have do don't they? Since they come under the umbrella of the students union which is a registered charity.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:41 pm

To be honest Rennie they proably dont, so much money goes 'unaccounted' for, there have been a lot of rumours, that some people who actually buy things for dra also tend to buy things for themselves.
So no, they probably dont

Re:

Postby Rennie on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 am

To be honest, I'm pretty sure people on the committee don't take money themselves.

However, something I've never really understood about hall committees, espeically big ones like DRA and New Hall is that they get a massive amount of money from the subs, and it's not fully accounted for legally or otherwise. I'm sure the committee themselves would like this to be done for them, as it measn people can't accuse them of stealing money etc...

New Hall and DRA between them get around £70k a year to play about with, in my book that's a lot. They should have someone who takes overall charge of it outside the committee, and who approves what is bought with it, should the amount be high - maybe a university employee?
Rennie

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Hm Rennie, you have no idea ta all

People DO take the money and they ARE on the commitee, I wouldnt have put it otherwise

And also, yeah a main person should take charge, a staff member, and not sme little boy who thinks he can buy alcohol for his flat on the hall subs

PreviousNext

Return to David Russell Apartments