Home

TheSinner.net

How is DRA?

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

How is DRA?

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:58 pm

I am planning to study in st-andrews.Now I am getting troubled about the accommodation.
DRA is too far from the town and it's very expensive.However I love to have a private shower and toilet.
Could you give me some advice?

Re:

Postby Garnet on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:13 pm

I really like DRA, it is a very comfortable place to live and I have been in accommodation where i had to share a bathroom with lots of people, which was such a hassle. DRA isn't too far away from town if you have a bike and there is a regular bus that stops off here.

[hr]

WHEN THE GOING GETS WEIRD
THE WEIRD TURN PRO.
-RAOUL DUKE

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:11 am

In comparison to other universities, I'd say it's bloody close. I have friends that travel 30 minutes on a bus to get to their departments, or roughly 2 hours walk. Hardly far in perspective, but our town is small, quaint etc.

DRA's facilities are second to none. There's a kitchen between 5 too, which is better than say New Hall self catered, where each corridor shares one.

It is expensive, but this is St Andrews, most things are. I would love it to be cheaper, but I don't think it's going to happen.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 pm

For your first year, DRA is sweet. Ensuite, underfloor heating, 24/7 internet. You can sit back and enjoy freshers without having to rush for computers/showers.

And in first year, it doesnt matter being 30 mins walk from town in the morning, just don't bother getting up, there's no need.

But move out in second year, then you'll have had enough of being out of town and most your mates will haved moved into town anyway

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:28 pm

I know I walk fast but surely it isnt just me that can get into town in 15 mins?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:06 am

It's badly designed, everything keeps breaking and falling apart, various things stop working... For the money you're paying it's a pretty raw deal.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby Zenon on Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:47 pm

9am fire alarm test every Tuesday morning. Whippee

My heart rate shoots up and leaves me shivering for 10-15 minutes. Surely they change the time of the drill when they have paying guests/visitors during the summer months?
Zenon

Re:

Postby hoopy froodette on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Zenon from 15:47, 11th Mar 2006
9am fire alarm test every Tuesday morning. Whippee

My heart rate shoots up and leaves me shivering for 10-15 minutes. Surely they change the time of the drill when they have paying guests/visitors during the summer months?

Nope.

[hr]

Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
Nothing succeeds like a toothless budgie.
hoopy froodette

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:32 pm

There are buses that run every 20 mins so getting to class is no problem if you don't want to walk, but the buses stop at 6 and don't run at all on sundays, so bear that in mind. You get used to the walk pretty quickly, I now have leg muscles I didn't know were there! Also, unless you're really outgoing, halls are probably easier to make friends in, as in DRA I found it quite hard to make friends with people other than my flatmates. But you do have a flat-family, which makes the beginning much easier. It has its good and bad points, but having ensuite and broadband is really good, and our rooms are huge compared to some of the in-town halls.

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 am

Don't expect to be able to actually get clean under the showers. Or even wet, for that matter. That water goes in every direction except down.

[hr]

The Yettoner

Re:

Postby smile on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting The Yettoner from 09:35, 23rd Mar 2006
Don't expect to be able to actually get clean under the showers. Or even wet, for that matter. That water goes in every direction except down.

[hr]

I agree - everytime that company Clearwater or whatever they are called come and clean the shower heads (why must I ask...another waste of money) the water goes out to the sides, it is really crap!
smile

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:20 pm

Lol that is very true. If you're small you've got no chance under DRA showers

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Thank you all. I will consider all your advices. Can't wait to see you this fall.

Return to David Russell Apartments