Home

TheSinner.net

DRA bar closing?!!

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

DRA bar closing?!!

Postby HEED on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:29 pm

Ive herd a wee rumour goin round the campfire that theyre gonna shut the DRA bar and only open it on the odd occasion?!! can anyone verify this??

Im quite gutted as ive bin quite partial to a cheap pint of tennants recently since they reduced the prices!!! If its because it wasnt popular enough, surely theyd realise that ppl arent prepared to use a cash machine that charges £1.50. As such, they have to walk all the way to town to get cash and could then simply drop by the union, which is cheaper anyway!
ZOMG! it woz da LOLZ0rds
HEED

Re:

Postby ClaireyMoo on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:31 pm

It's true. They've shut it down. According to some of the bar staff.
ClaireyMoo

Re:

Postby tinker on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Hmmm, wasn't the contract we signed on the condition that there was "a bar which sells alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks"? To be honest I know nothing about the legalities of it all, just thought i would point it out!
tinker

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:25 am

Well, you have to admit, between the 1.50 ATM, the completely sterile atmosphere, and (so I’m told) higher prices than the union bar downtown, I’m not surprised they didn’t do so well.
Ragamuffin_artist

Re:

Postby nas25 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting tinker from 17:35, 27th Feb 2006
Hmmm, wasn't the contract we signed on the condition that there was "a bar which sells alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks"? To be honest I know nothing about the legalities of it all, just thought i would point it out!

Well said. It seems they're quite happy to operate such double standards; as we all know they'll charge us for any minor breach on our side of the deal. When we moved in in September it was on the understanding that there was to be a permanent bar in DRA; I know this had an effect on the decision of my flatmates and I not to move out and get a flat in town. It's just getting ridiculous; can anyone give me a good reason why on earth I'm paying so much to live here again? I've forgotten.

As for why it was losing money, that's pretty obvious; it was unwelcoming. But it wouldn't have cost much at all to make it feel less like a hospital waiting room. The point about the cash machine is particularly valid - in fact I'd be willing to bet that it would still be open if that thieving bloody machine had been free of charge to begin with.

I'm not getting at the people who work really hard to try and make DRA a better place - the bar and bistro staff, the student council etc - and all respect to them, they're doing more than I am - it just seems there's a sort of inherent incompetence at the higher levels of management, and that this is just the latest example of that.
nas25

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:07 pm

If they have indeed breached the terms and conditions of your contract then don't just complain about it here. You can seek legal advice, very likely free if you see that stick man sitting on a bench sign outside. The university is no more able to breach the contract than we are.

I particularly like my contract for the way that it clearly states that properties should be cleaned fully at the end of the year and should pass health and safety inspections throughout the year. It says NOTHING about keeping the property up to the impossible standards imposed by the inspectors. As such, the two times I have been threatened with being charged its just been a matter of e-mailling them and saying "No I am not". (P.S. this is for fife park, you'd need to read your contract to see if it was different)

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Darth Fanboy on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:32 am

Not only have they ditched the bar, which I have never used myself, but they've closed off the lounge it's attatched to, which I have been known to sit in for a natter from time to time (and which serves as a backup Galactica viewer is someone's in the Nisbet room and the blasted football isn't in the way again...)

[hr]

EVIL IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NEITHER A MEANS NOR AN END. IT IS AN ATTITUDE AND A LIFESTYLE. Make no excuses. Support no ideology. Never explain. You're EVIL. Just do it.

Hold on to your asses, ass holders.
Nobody wants to read about a single mom trying to raise a kid and keep a job. People want to read about explosions, monsters, and exploding monsters.

http://Nelson40000.bebo.com
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102260
Darth Fanboy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm confused by that - maybe i'm just being silly - but how can they shut off the lounge area when you have to go past it to get to the bistro?

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby paw paw on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:43 pm

They havent closed of the lounge, u can still get to the bistro, maybe the lounge is closed whenthe bistro closes but its open till 7 anyway.
paw paw

Re:

Postby Darth Fanboy on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 pm

The lounge area is not open when I would want to be in it, shall we say, which would be in the evening after the Bistro closes.

[hr]

EVIL IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NEITHER A MEANS NOR AN END. IT IS AN ATTITUDE AND A LIFESTYLE. Make no excuses. Support no ideology. Never explain. You're EVIL. Just do it.

Hold on to your asses, ass holders.
Nobody wants to read about a single mom trying to raise a kid and keep a job. People want to read about explosions, monsters, and exploding monsters.

http://Nelson40000.bebo.com
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102260
Darth Fanboy

Return to David Russell Apartments