Home

TheSinner.net

New Committe

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

New Committe

Postby smile on Fri May 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Have the election results been announced yet?
smile

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Fri May 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Yeah, they have...

Devon McIlwaine- Senior student
Ali Fraser- Deputy Senior Student
Geoff Maguire- Social Convenor
Phill Nelson- Treasurer
Jo Pemberton- Secretary
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri May 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Who are ye, who are ye?

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Fri May 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Well, if you had come to the hecklings and supported the candidates you would know who they were....
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri May 12, 2006 9:03 pm

I support my legs cause my legs support me ;)

[hr]

papercutheart

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting papercutheart from 22:03, 12th May 2006
I support my legs cause my legs support me ;)

[hr]

OLOZ
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Lid on Sat May 13, 2006 3:49 am

The whole debate about hecklings is one I'm torn between.

For my election to SRC, there were about 30 people at the hecklings. I saw this as a pretty poor show, and was quite annoyed more did not show.

In contrast, people should still know about the candidates. The unwillingness of some candidates to submit a 100-words to the elections officer shows contempt for their position, and opportunism, regardless of their standing.

The hecklings were announced in an email the day before, the email subject not even relating to the event that was to take place. Although some students may not turn up whatever the case, combining it with some other social event would increase turnout, reduce apathy, and all-in-all stop moaning. I couldn't attend at such short notice, as did everyone-minus-6 of DRA, but I would have attended if I had had more notice.

Surely by the fact they have been elected to the position needs an open declaration of results (apart from The Sinner), and no criticism from the committee (outgoing), as these are people put in place by the electorate, and thus responsible to the electorate, we are entitled to know about our elected representatives.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Sun May 14, 2006 12:18 am

There's clearly some annoyance about attendance at the hecklings. But I think there's some pretty simple explanations for the poor turn out....

- It wasn't well publicised at all
- It's exam time and few people have a spare 5 minutes for anything but eating
- A lot of people are leaving DRA next year and therefore next years committee means nothing to them
- And people who are staying for next year don't really care.......

Rightly or wrongly, the committee seems to have gathered some bad press this year and there seems to be some disappointment surrounding hall events. DRA is always going to pose problems when it comes to social events and thier success but I think next years committee will be able to learn from previous mistakes and make more improvements!
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Quoting Lid from 04:49, 13th May 2006
For my election to SRC, there were about 30 people at the hecklings. I saw this as a pretty poor show, and was quite annoyed more did not show.

Reasons;

1. SRC - I couldn't think of a more boring way to spend an evening if I tried.

2. Even the most pro-democracy folks don't care particularly who represents them at SRC or on the DRA committee. It's really not a big deal. Sure, if there's a big general election then I'll find out who the candidates are and what they stand for, but with SRC or DRA I'm willing to vote for anyone who's willing to put in the effort required to stand, especially if they're uncontested. You'd have to be a bastard to vote RON unless the person standing was particularly controversial.

3. Oh yeah - and the third reason I didn't go to the SRC hecklings is, well, because you were there, Royceston. Need I say more?

Re:

Postby grapes on Sun May 14, 2006 7:12 pm

You obviously have time to go on the sinner, therefore you have time to check your emails, and you got plenty of those telling you where and when, because I sure as hell got them.

So now im trying to cast my mind back to where you have said, 'dissapointment surrounding the events this year', oh let me refresh your memory;
1.The barbeques in freshers week where fun was had by all.
2.The pub crawls.
3.The halloween party.
4.The xmas party
5.The Easter party

Also, there have been pub quizzes every single week and if I can remeber, there was also an easter egg hunt where lots of people turned up.

Maybe youre the unsociable one here, becuase these events have had time and thought put in to them, where lots of people came and enjoyed.

May I also refer back to the part where you say 'people dont have time because of exams'.
If you dont have half an hour to spare, then I suggest the next time you have exams, you might want to start revision a little earlier. Obviously youre running out of time and you are cramming, so you should really start earlier.

'People who are staying here next year dont care anyway'
If you are staying here next year, I suggest you go and talk to the comitee FACE TO FACE instead of slagging them on here, so that you can better enjoy next year.
If you are not staying here next year, then thankgod, because, I for one, would not want somebody who has these negative feelings to be with us all next year.

These are my opinions, and well done to everybody who turned up and voted, and well done to the successful ones who are now on the comitee, next year will be fabulous.
grapes

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun May 14, 2006 7:33 pm

grapes

Your post is very silly.

No one has criticised the activities of the committee on this thread. Two people have mentioned that the general air is the that they weren't great but they did not criticise the committee personally.

Knee-jerk reactions usually provoke il-thoughts, but in this case your knee-jerk reaction is not only very harsh but also unfounded and will undoubtedly create an air of animosity.

P.S. I personally think your committee was quite good this year - so please - save me the same level of abusive comeback.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Sun May 14, 2006 9:16 pm

oh my! touchy touchy!

i agree with munchingfoo.....the "unregistered user"'s post seems ever so slightly unnecessary. it's makes it sound as if i was making a personal attack at someone....and i clearly was not.

the sinner is for mature discussion and that's what i was doing.....sharing my opinion.

anyway i voted in the elections and im sure anyone who wanted to did so theres no problem.

looking forward to seeing a brand spanking new committee next year and look forward to future hall events!
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby grapes on Sun May 14, 2006 11:53 pm

'Munchingfoo' my thread was not actually aimed as a kneww-jerk reaction.

It was aimed at the person (s) that were being extremely negative towards the comittee, when I know for a fact that they dont even turn up for social events (and go home at weekends).

Thankyou, as I said before, everybody is allowed an opinion.
grapes

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon May 15, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting from 10:56, 13th May 2006
You'd have to be a bastard to vote RON unless the person standing was particularly controversial.

I will openly admit to voting to re-open nominations against those who didn't submit a 100 word statement. I couldn't attend the hecklings, given the short notice, having prior commitments.

A 100-word statement serves as a summary of what they stand for, and what they wish to bring to the job. As one was not submitted, I can only guess that these people do not stand for anything, and do not wish to bring anything to the job.

Thus to re-open nominations in this matter, I see as perfectly acceptable.

3. Oh yeah - and the third reason I didn't go to the SRC hecklings is, well, because you were there, Royceston. Need I say more?

Now now, anonymity is no cloak to hide behind, speak forth, who are you?

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Mon May 15, 2006 12:22 am

The new committee should be a good one....make sure if you have any queries or ideas to forward them to the committee so you can improve your hall to suit you guys!

It has been a fun year!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon May 15, 2006 12:23 am

i thought they were gonna stop the whole unregistered user thing to stop this kind of catty drivel that noone cares about.....these "knee jerk" reactions (or rather "full body spasm fits") to clearly non offensive posts is rather bizarre

i dunno.....maybe you should reread my original post- i made no negative comments towards the old committee. i actually meant it in a postive way for the new committee. and was just suggesting a few explanations for the poor turn out at hecklings.

so let's not make this into a bitchfest about me going home at weekends (oh my gawd the shame!) and move on.....
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby barbiedoll on Mon May 15, 2006 12:57 am

There is obviously an air of negativity about DRA and the committee. I believe that the committee, or rather the majority of the committe tried their hardest this year to amke DRA a success. However lets face it with such a big hall, and such a general lack of community spirit it has been pretty impossible to arrange hugely successful events, with the exception of the ball. It is really petty to dig at people because they have gone home for the weekend and not attended the events. I have only attended two events this year hosted by DRA but that was because I have had to work, so do I get bitchy comments too? Someone is obviously too defensive and has turned a simple observation into a bitch fest. and, finally, I did not attend the hecklings or vote in the elections because I am not coming back to DRA next year and I have no interest at all in who the committe are, and I would have voted RON for them all, because I wouldnt have found it fair to vote. Good luck to next years committee and hopefully you can help DRA to be more of a success next year.
barbiedoll

Re:

Postby Crouch on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:59 am

The unwillingness of some candidates to submit a 100-words to the elections officer shows ... opportunism, regardless of their standing.

How does not providing a 100 word blurb show opportunism? To me, it just shows laziness.
Crouch

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Crouch from 01:25, 9th Jun 2006
How does not providing a 100 word blurb show opportunism? To me, it just shows laziness.

Quite simple. The 100 word statement is an outline of someone's policies, previous standing, and ability to do the job. Thus, I would feel perfectly within my rights to consider someone of no standing, with no policies, and no ability to fulfil their role, had they not submitted said statement.

I'd call that pretty opportunist.

Furthermore, I do believe that in Association elections, it's grounds for disqualification, for this very reason.

[hr]

Lid

Return to David Russell Apartments