Home

TheSinner.net

Happy???

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

Happy???

Postby Emma on Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:24 pm

So, I've been waiting for my accommodation letter to come for what seems like years, getting excited each morning when the post comes (sad, I know) only to get home this evening to find an email waiting for me. A lady (who unfortunately I'm not a big fan of anymore though through no fault of her own) tells me that not only have I not got into one of the nice old central residences which I'd had my fingers crossed for, I've not even been given catered. No one's fault but I'm feeling a little low about being in DRA so can anyone help me out - what do people who've lived here before like about DRA??? Ta
Emma

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:13 pm

I felt exactly the same when I got told the (bad) news. I wanted to be in the middle of town, in a proper hall community.

But alas, what a blessing in disguise getting DRA for my first year was. Ok, so there may not be the same hall spirit as say Regs, but home comforts are aplenty...underfloor heating, ensuite awesome showers, double beds, nice kitchens, free internet. Trust me, self catering is a wonderful thing compared to set meal times in halls, and not great food at that.

There might be a bit of a walk into town (but there is a bus) but 20 mins is hardly a lot compared to most universities. Enjoy the luxuries in fresher year, then get a flat second year!

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Anna on Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:25 pm

I just discovered exactly same thing today, and in fact I think I may have actually met said lady yesterday when I visited St Andrews. Anyway, I'll also be moving into DRA in September and although I can't tell you from experience, I imagine it'll actually be not bad at all. All the residences have their pros and cons and whilst the older ones in the centre of town are petty, the stardard of living isn't as modern etc and living apartment-style sounds like a bit of a riot. I'm just hoping that there's a budding Nigella Lawson in my flat...
Are you a fresher?
Anna

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:50 pm

I spent my first year in DRA and loved it. The parties are legendary.

If you want hall spirit then get the (K)night Bus back from the Union on a Friday night - there's even a DRA song!

There's a good committee this year too. I know I'll be heading over to crash the Freshers' week events.

I loved the ensuite, my gorgeous double bed, my lovely flatmates and friends, the closeness to the sports centre and the North Haugh (science buildings), the bar, our cute little kitchen...everything really!

If you really desperately don't want to cook for yourself then you can get meals at the Bistro. You can just get them as a one off or buy a meal ticket for 10 meals or for the whole semester. But I agree with Grigsy - not having fixed meal times for me was a blessing.

You get used to the walk :)
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 pm

Quoting Griggsy from 19:13, 1st Sep 2007
Guff

[hr]

You forgot to mention that you met me. No.1 event.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby turnblad on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:37 pm

I was a first year last year.

And I kept my fingers crossed for ANYTHING but DRA - It looked too isolated and overpriced for halls.

But it is great. And it has its own bar.
The purpose of life is to die. So everyone should eat pie.
turnblad

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 pm

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 15:54, 3rd Sep 2007
Quoting Griggsy from 19:13, 1st Sep 2007
Guff

[hr]

You forgot to mention that you met me. No.1 event.

Ah yes, you have to watch out for the goblins that come out the cooker when you first go in the kitchen

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby jo-jo on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 pm

hy

can you tell me something about DRA? Is it so bad? how are the other halls? i´m going to find, where to stay for 10 weeks.

please help me
jo-jo

Re:

Postby Emma on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks! Does anyone know vauely how much the bus costs and how late into the night they run?

A Nigella Lawson sounds like exactly what I need to! I can cook a couple of veggie meals, so meat-eaters are likely to get food poisoning [img]littleicons/blush.gif[/img] , and other than that, cakes are all I can cook. Diabetes and weight gain here I come!

Yep, I'm a fresher. What about you Anna???
Emma

Re:

Postby Rosie on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Im moving into DRA soon too, can anyone who has lived there before tell me what essentials I really need to take 'cos I know I'll forget something.
Rosie

Re:

Postby turnblad on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting Rosie from 14:40, 9th Sep 2007
Im moving into DRA soon too, can anyone who has lived there before tell me what essentials I really need to take 'cos I know I'll forget something.

The usual - pillowcases, quilts, towels, plates, cups, forks (and other cutlery), food, drink, toiletries.

No pans needed though.
turnblad

Re:

Postby fluffy on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm

no - definitely do need pans. the bottoms fell out of the ones we got when in DRA, and whenever we asked for something replacing because it was broken, we had to wait weeks for it. We asked for keys to our kitchen cupboards so many times, only to be told they were on order. At the end of the year they had the cheek to ask us for them back - but we'd never been given them!!

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby jo-jo on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 pm

is it right that i have to bring my own quilt to DRA? i´m from germany and it will be impossible to carry the quilt in the plaine.
jo-jo

Re:

Postby turnblad on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting fluffy from 14:11, 12th Sep 2007
no - definitely do need pans. the bottoms fell out of the ones we got when in DRA, and whenever we asked for something replacing because it was broken, we had to wait weeks for it. We asked for keys to our kitchen cupboards so many times, only to be told they were on order. At the end of the year they had the cheek to ask us for them back - but we'd never been given them!!

[hr]

Really?

Wow, I must've been lucky last year as every pan we had worked fine and we were given keys on day 1.
turnblad

Re:

Postby fluffy on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:02 pm

no they will give you a quilt but you will need bedding. you can buy pretty much everything once you get to st and so don't panic!!
yeah. and our heating didn;t work. our fridge broke twice. our oven exploded. we never got kitchen cupboard keys. in the first week one of the bedroom doors didn't shut, one room was without electric the first day, two rooms only had one curtain, nobody was too bothered about it all either, which made it worse. but there's a nice porter called ian who will help you out if you're stuck, so make friends with him... :)

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby g on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:32 pm

the bus costs 85p i think. and dra is awesome, the best halls for parties by an absolute mile.
g

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting fluffy from 21:02, 13th Sep 2007
no they will give you a quilt but you will need bedding. you can buy pretty much everything once you get to st and so don't panic!!
yeah. and our heating didn;t work. our fridge broke twice. our oven exploded. we never got kitchen cupboard keys. in the first week one of the bedroom doors didn't shut, one room was without electric the first day, two rooms only had one curtain, nobody was too bothered about it all either, which made it worse. but there's a nice porter called ian who will help you out if you're stuck, so make friends with him... :)

[hr]

You must have been in either Eden, Hamilton or Dover last year then? They were only handed over from the builders to the university something like the day you freshers all moved in last year. There were a few problems, but they were just usual building "snagging" issues, and not reflective of the rest of the complex which has been trouble free in terms of furnishings and build quality.

[hr]

[s]http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440&pwstdfy=c9c14f50e63e4951ba5a9abb7ffcdc6e[/s]
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Anonymous/b on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting jo-jo from 19:27, 12th Sep 2007
is it right that i have to bring my own quilt to DRA? i´m from germany and it will be impossible to carry the quilt in the plaine.

nope - the quilt is provided - but they're quite thin so might b a gud idea 2 bring an extra blanket for teh deep dark st-a's winter

all our stuff in dra works fine - though all covered in nasty burnt food tho (flat full of rubbish coocks :( )
Anonymous/b

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 22:51, 9th Oct 2007
Quoting fluffy from 21:02, 13th Sep 2007

[hr]

You must have been in either Eden, Hamilton or Dover last year then? They were only handed over from the builders to the university something like the day you freshers all moved in last year. There were a few problems, but they were just usual building "snagging" issues, and not reflective of the rest of the complex which has been trouble free in terms of furnishings and build quality.

[hr]

Or Lang 1,4,7 or 10 - they were flooded the summer before and the kitchen cupboard key issue was still not sorted by the beginning of this semester.
I would recommend making friends with Davie.

Next

Return to David Russell Apartments