Home

TheSinner.net

Vote of no confidence

Please feel free to discuss any matters surrounding Fife Park. If you have any problems please e-mail the moderator of this board.

Vote of no confidence

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:14 am

I am of the feeling that the fife park committee hasn't really been active enough this year.

I appreciate that there may not have been hall subs collected this year in great numbers but I feel this is a logisitical problem more than anything else.

Fife park is finding it's self with a greater and greater number of first years every year. As such change will not be immediate but after four years could be completely accepted.

I suggest that the committee respond explaining exactly what they have done, how much money they have collected as well as brief description of the fife park accounts.

I would like a committee in fife park and please don't take this as an insult. All I ask is that if you have been doing things that no-one is aware of can we please be made aware?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby White Knight on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:56 pm

In all fairness, the job of collecting hall subs in places like Fife park is not just a logistical problem.

Having experince of doing this in Albany, some people are really rude, abusive and just down right mean. Although some people are really nice and invite you in for tea the majority arent. I suggest you read this thread for examples: http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=11788

Most hall subs collections usually go down this road. It lowers hall morale and people get shitty.

Although this should change next year, now the university is collecting them from the rent and paying it directly to the committee's bank accounts.

I do support your view completely thou. Find out your committee's actions and remember voting comes around again soon!

But most of all get involved yourself, join as an ordinary member you obviously want to know more dont just rely on others. Help change the problems yourself.
White Knight

Re:

Postby Kirstin on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm

Well, I’m on the committee so I guess I’ll post. The lack of social events is probably more my fault than anyone else’s, as I am social convenor. I became social convenor by default, I was an ordinary member I suggested staging social events in Freshers week and social convenor I became.

How much money have we collected, well this year nothing, the committee decided not to take hall subs, there's a thread about that somewhere. In terms of accounts you’ll have to ask the treasurer. This year I think so far we’ve held three social events on a budget of about 30 pounds total. This included a pub quiz, a pub crawl and a pancake and punch party where I ended up making around 150 pancakes by hand. There’s only so far you can stretch a nonexistent budget when you have no venue.

If you would like to be in a fife park committee that would be fabulous, we’ve tried to get other people to join in the past but as far as I’m aware response has been non existent. As a result our committee has 4 members while DRA (just as a comparison as I have their committee list here) has 17. It’s a lot easier to divide up tasks when you’ve got 4 times as many members. There’ll have to be an election soon as three quarters of our committee graduates this year. If people want to stand that would be great, otherwise the committee will cease to exist and social events will be nonexistent. In the future the conference center may provide a venue but at the moment we can hold things outside in early autumn and spring but winter is a bit of a no go.

I’m really sorry you’re unhappy about the way things are, if you have any suggestions feel free to come around and see me or the others, I don’t know if they’re here but I’m in house 15.

Kirstin
I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent.
Kirstin

Re:

Postby penfold on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:26 pm

It helps if you actually have an election
penfold

Re:

Postby Rob Hearn on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:48 pm

Yes, you're completely right. We don't do anything, or collect subs, or organise many events. I can't speak for either of the two Alexes, but for my part it's because I don't care. I wasn't ever elected onto the committee, really, since I was a founding member, and one of the three people to vote in the initial elections. People can get uppity at us, I suppose, but remember that it was us who started it all up. Would you have, anybody? Before us there was nothing. We haven't brought many things about, but there would have been less if we hadn't been uncharacteristically and temporarily motivated two years ago. There would have been no microwaves in the kitchens, and the disgusting rubber mattresses would still be here. And the few events we have hosted would not have occurred. Since the beginning, nobody has shown any interest in taking our places, so we've just let things lie, because none of us are the types who want there to be a big, ball-hosting, sub-charging committee. That's why we live in Fife Park.

Believe me, if anybody has a burning desire to be deputy senior student, they're welcome to the role. At the moment it's basically like the screwed up kit-kat wrapper on my desk that I'm too lazy to throw in the bin. Nobody objects, nobody else wants it; it asks nothing of me, and I ask nothing of it. If somebody were to bin it for me or put it on their own desk, I wouldn't notice that it had gone. If that annoys anybody, I really don't know why.

I'm not paying subs though.
"I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of. And the things I am proud of, are disgusting."
Rob Hearn

Return to Fife Park