Home

TheSinner.net

Curious fresher

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Curious fresher

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:25 pm

Hey, just got my accommodation through and im in this hall, room D16a. Just wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to what the D and a stand for? T'would be much appreciated! x.

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:31 pm

The D means you are on D floor.

The a part means you are sharing with someone.

I cant remember what D16 is like.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/star.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby ariel on Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:13 pm

awwwwwww your in D16? I was in D17-but much of my time was spent in D16!!!You have crazy shutters aswell-its a great room. The only problem is its right next to the common room, which can be a little noisy (noisy double doors which bang through the night-much like the freshers)
I'l be in D6 next year which is just by your room, so expect a few visits from me!
I Say Who, i Say When, I SAY WHO!!!!
ariel

Re:

Postby ariel on Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:19 pm

Mcintosh is the best hall ever by the way-you're gonna really enjoy it!
ariel

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:36 pm

You sound enthusiastic ariel, if I didn't know better I'd think you were Cathy Philips.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby The Dude on Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:37 pm

Quoting Slash wannabe from 23:31, 8th Jul 2005

More importantly it means that you are on the ground floor with some of the best rooms in hall. The funny thing about McIntosh is that A floor is at the top while the basement is E floor.
The Dude

Re:

Postby mary on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:25 pm

Hey Im a fresher too! im in D3a! anyone know what its like?
mary

Re:

Postby mary on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:28 pm

Quoting the dude from 17:37, 9th Jul 2005
Quoting Slash wannabe from 23:31, 8th Jul 2005

Anyone know what D3 is like? thats where i am! So is thr ground floor on the ground, or when you look out there is a bit of a drop?

[mod note]
Mary because you are an unregistered user your posts have to be moderated. Any post you make won't appear straight away.
mary

Re:

Postby little headache on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:22 am

Quoting mary from 17:43, 9th Jul 2005
Anyone know what D3 is like? thats where i am! So is thr ground floor on the ground, or when you look out there is a bit of a drop?

No idea what D3 is like, but when you look out your window we're above these weird coal shed things, so you're looking down into some kind of corridor. It's hard to explain, but just know that you can't get in through your windows. I'm in D4 next year, so feel free to stop in and say hello; ariel and I will probably be drinking early on! Well, according to my plans at least...
little headache

Re:

Postby mary on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:16 am

Thanks, that was what I was wondering!! so no scenic views then? lol!
mary

Re:

Postby ariel on Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Little Headache...have i ever said no to alcohmohol? Even before my Arabic exam...
Is D3 Amy Millers old room? The one opposite my old room (D17) coz if it is, ive spent alot of my time in there aswell!!!!You'l notice me pretty much straight away-i'l be sat on a deckchair outside D6 (next to common room) with a bottle of Archers and most probably chips and cheese, as will Little Headache i hope...
10 weeks to go!
ariel

Re:

Postby liliputian on Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:40 am

ariel - I can't believe you're counting down already! I don't want the summer to end because then that means honours classes and less gin :( Oh the woe of a third year!

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby little headache on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting liliputian from 14:40, 11th Jul 2005
less gin[/i]

Not if I've got anything to do with it! Don't worry, we'll get you pissed often enough...
little headache

Re:

Postby ~watermelon~ on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:44 pm

how about room B47?

[mod edit]
Please give a name next time you post. It makes it easier for you to be identified.
~watermelon~

Re:

Postby Spongey on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:37 pm

My accommodation just came through too :) I'm in C, but I've been allocated a single room due to really bad insomnia and now I'm stressed that I'll be the only Fresher who isn't sharing. Is it going to be a problem? - Seems like everyone's bests buds are the people they shared with in 1st year.
Spongey

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:47 pm

I wouldnt worry at all.

Some people get along with their room mates and become best buddies. Obviously some dont.

You don't have to deal with this problem.

On the first night you get taken on a pub crawl in a group with an older student. Usually you end up being friends with people in this group but of course there are always exceptions. Even if you don't drink or are "too tired" you should go on the crawl because it is the perfect chance to meet people. No one should sit alone in their room by themselves on the first night.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/alice.png
I could set you free, rather hear the sound of your body breaking as I take you down
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby little headache on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:55 pm

Quoting Slash wannabe from 23:47, 11th Jul 2005

Some people get along with their room mates and become best buddies. Obviously some dont.

You can say that again.

Go on a pub crawl, and try not to be sick on anyone.
little headache

Re:

Postby ariel on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am

And don't mistake D4 for the toilets.
ariel

Re:

Postby little headache on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Quoting ariel from 13:55, 13th Jul 2005
And don't mistake D4 for the toilets.

Yeah please, at least not this year.
little headache

Re:

Postby physicist on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:50 pm

My guesses on the rooms are as follows:

[l]
[li]D3 A south facing room on the ground floor looking out over the street. It does not have as much depth as other rooms (but is longer to compensate). It is directly opposite the goods lift and D16.
[li]D16 A squarish room facing north, allowing you to see out over North Street. Has cornices on the ceiling, and of course, is next to the lift. Like D3, it is a reasonably nice room.
[li]B47 Unlike most other rooms in hall, this is an exception to the numbering rule (if you follow this rule you would end up in the Subwardens flat). Is is also known as Room B34A. It was a utility room. But it is of decent size with a view out to the north looking over the links (golf courses).
[/l]

The standard hall numbering system is follow from East to West on the South Side of the building (e.g. B3-B26), then follow back on the North side of the building from West to East (e.g. B28-B45). E-floor is slightly more complicated.

The rooms looking into the gutter are E1-E9, E25 and E26 (at a guess). D-floor is about 3-4 feet above street level.

There are a number of first years in single rooms because
[nl]
[li] not all single rooms are allocated to returning students.
[li] not all the returning students offered rooms take them up (e.g. they move into flats or cease their studies), and the waiting lists ceases to exist from session 2001/2002.
[li] first years have highest priority for places.
[/nl]
physicist

Next

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)