Home

TheSinner.net

The lurkers

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

The lurkers

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:58 pm

Where are le unregistered users that posted so often during the summer?

Mary
Courtney
Chris

...perhaps they died during freshers week.

Registered users strike up a conversation ffs. I know for a fact that most of you check this board every day.

So here is my contribution:

Why oh why is the hall photo being taken behind LCH? Why couldn't it be rescheduled for the cabbage patch?

Voting on http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~chattan/

[hr]

IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/alice.png
I could set you free, rather hear the sound of your body breaking as I take you down
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm

I post. I started the Quote log of 05/06.

Nobody posted though. Cain would've. I wish Cain was here (or should that be "were".... I'm sure there is something about the subjunctive...)

[hr]

"we are the pretty, petty thieves"
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:13 pm

I also post every so often, but since I don't live in Chattan anymore, this probably doesn't help. Haven't even had chance to visit yet this year. I fear the hall may forget me :-(

Shall be around before Raisin though. Mwhahahaha etc. Oh, and can I get the password for the website please? I am curious as to what is on it.
Colin

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:39 pm

Quoting angel_kohaku from 14:03, 27th Oct 2005
I post. I started the Quote log of 05/06.

Nobody posted though. Cain would've. I wish Cain was here

unfortunately, i cannot be summoned by the Rite of Ashkente. at least not by subhonours students.

and yes, it is a bit frustrating for moderators when nothing happens on the boards, especially when you know that people read it.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:57 pm

I agree about it being taken on LCH, I think it's a rubbish idea. Why don't we do the same thing but on the Cabbage Patch, and have it taken from A floor? I know it might not be the best thing for the photographer to hang out a window, but I think the photo should be kept traditional and taken somewhere close to McIntosh.

[hr]

I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:10 pm

What happened to the old death-trap planks that they put up in the cabbage patch? Has the uni gone all health and safety again?
Colin

Re:

Postby Akasha on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:07 pm

The university H&S guy came along a few hours before the photo and declared the "death trap planks" unsafe.
Akasha

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:10 pm

What a spoil sport. There have been no deaths and relatively few life threatenning injuries attributable to those planks.

Just to show them, make sure as many people as possible require hospitalisation in the event that the photo is moved elsewhere.
Colin

Re:

Postby liliputian on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:39 am

it was ridiculous - they rang up just over an hour before the photo, leaving us with no suggestions of alternatives. the university has no intention of replacing the scaffolding, so having it out on the cabbage patch would mean hiring in a commercial photographer. now peter adamson charges £8.50 per photo, and the best commerical rate is about £25 per photo, which i'm sure you'll all agree is far too steep. peter's first suggestion was the steps of the r&a which is where hamilton and jbh have their photos, however, there are too many of us for that, so that possibility was ruled out. his second suggestion was taking the photo from a fire escape on the back of lower college hall downwards of us standing on the lawn. now i've seen these sort of pictures before, but only of small groups, so have no idea what it would look like. now he's instead suggested we use the banking on lower college lawn as a substitute for the scaffolding, giving us the same sort of photo we're used to. again this would be on lower college lawn, which i know a lot of you aren't happy about. following on pea's advice of using the cabbage patch and taking an aerial view from a-floor isn't possible because on the trees and it would be too far away. but this gave me and idea - how about using the garden that we have for garden parties and having the aerial view taken from a bedroom on either d or c floor? no i've not completely looked into this tonight - this only occured to me at about 9 o'clock tonight so haven't had propoer chance to do so. i'm not even sure if a. the rms will let us use the garden or b. the garden is indeed big enough. but enough of you think it's a good idea, i'll put it forward. bear in mind the photo is next tues!

so...

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Colin on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:54 am

Not a bad idea using the back garden, although I wonder if (a) it is big enough, and (b) whether you could get a good angle, as you would have to be quite close to the building. Worth considering though. What about the common room? Recon you can get Peter to stand on the pool table to take a picture over the other half of the room? :-)
Colin

Re:

Postby hopie on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:54 pm

how much to hire some safe scaffolding on its own, if you'd have known you could have nicked that which appears at the start of semester at one bit of hall or another

Bit of a shame to kill off years of tradition just because someone got a bit arsey. When was the last photo not in the cabbage patch?

Also aerial photos do look shit and from a naming point of view i can see it being absolute murder!

[hr]

Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Re:

Postby pea on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:31 pm

Someone else suggested the back garden to me, can't remember who, but I think that would be an odd angle. Actually, if we get permission to use the garden, why don't we use the slopes of it as "scaffolding", face towards the sea and have it taken from the gate area? Then we get McIntosh in the back ground and can still have some form of tier effect of people. I'm not sure of all the exact positioning of people, and if it could work, but it's another suggestion none the less.

[hr]

I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:55 am

ok spoke to the RMs - they wont let us use the backgarden at all. what this means for the garden party remains to be seen... so lower college lawn with the banking as tiering it's going to have to be.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby pali on Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:14 am

ah, so no more aerial view? excellent.
pali

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:11 am

I think we should photomanipulate it. Take last years and superimpose all the heads onto it. I bet it works out cheaper.

[hr]

"we are the pretty, petty thieves"
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Boris on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 pm

This whole plan sounds really stupid... think in 20 years and you bring round your relatives to show them the hall photo and they see all the rest of them in the cabbage patch or outside the front door... we will look like idiots!

Can we not buy a new couple of planks? and just wait for them as the cabbage patch it has to be!
Boris

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:43 pm

and would probably look shit
liliputian

Re:

Postby halmeister on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:06 pm

i suppose it shouldn't surprise me but a H&S guy coming round late on and banning stands that have been used safely in many photos for many halls seems crazy.

the university as a whole never seem to appreciate the efforts of hall committees and the things they do. I guess its also unsurprising that once again permission to do something has not been granted. Could you not do aerial stylee from the cabbage patch side of hall.. or ask the Uni to reconsider..

Hope Estates don't bill you for putting up the stands after all that - think it came quite a bit.

Anyways.. good luck!
halmeister

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:31 pm

here is one of the lurkers!! im registered now!! under a new name!! i'll leave u 2 work out who i am!! lol!
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 pm

No idea.

Never personally lurked during the summer. Didn't know this thing existed to be honest. maybe it'd be a good idea to stick a flier with the URL in the Accomidation packs next year?

The photo wasn't so bad. I might care about the tradition if i'd been here more than 6 weeks or so. Anyone got an ETA on the publishing?
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)