Home

TheSinner.net

Piano

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Piano

Postby October on Mon May 08, 2006 2:22 pm

Would it be wrong of me to ask that the piano be banned for the exam time?
Just that it is really hard to work when someone is playing the damn thing and then there is who ever it is that thumps their damn feet while at it.

If it is to much to ask, can at lest the people who play it, have some respect for those who are above and below it, as we have to put up with it all the time, by playing it not as loud and stop banging your feet.

Thanks.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon May 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Technically, as we're under 24 hour quiet time, the piano is banned 24/7 for the remainder of the exam period. I had a couple of problems last exam period with people playing. Just go up and ask them politely to stop and they will. Failing that, ask the warden to shut them up!

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby October on Mon May 08, 2006 2:55 pm

Quoting Jono from 15:32, 8th May 2006
Technically, as we're under 24 hour quiet time, the piano is banned 24/7 for the remainder of the exam period. I had a couple of problems last exam period with people playing. Just go up and ask them politely to stop and they will. Failing that, ask the warden to shut them up!

[hr]

When have you ever knowen me to ask "politely"?
I'm asking for a well knowen ban, So I won't need to rip peoples heads off.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby lts2 on Tue May 09, 2006 3:23 pm

You guys make me laugh,

1: Andrew, stop being so moany and either go ask them to stop, or go study somewhere else

2: You live 2 doors down from Jon, do you have to have this conversation over the sinner!
lts2

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue May 09, 2006 3:28 pm

Quoting Jono from 15:32, 8th May 2006
Failing that, ask the warden to shut them up!

And failing that, a sledgehammer will mean about 2 minutes of unbearable noise, but the peace for the rest of the study time [img]littleicons/laugh.gif[/img]

[hr]

I wanna be an anarchist, get pissed, destroy
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue May 09, 2006 4:42 pm

you think that'd work with the pool table too?

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue May 09, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting Jono from 17:42, 9th May 2006

[hr]

Nah, just hide the balls. Or alternatively steal the cues. Then that way, you have a weapon too :)

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Wed May 10, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting angel_kohaku from 18:12, 9th May 2006
Quoting Jono from 17:42, 9th May 2006

[hr]

Nah, just hide the balls. Or alternatively steal the cues. Then that way, you have a weapon too :)

[hr]

Oii!! No one touches the pool table (in a negative way)

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby October on Wed May 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Quoting lts2 from 16:23, 9th May 2006
Andrew, stop being so moany and either go ask them to stop, or go study somewhere else

that's kinda rich, comeing from the one who never went up and asked the guy above her to stop banging on the floor.
And as you your-self has said,
one should have the right to study in their own room.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
October

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed May 10, 2006 6:14 pm

October

Have you, in fact, told people playing pool and playing the piano that the noise bothers you in your room?

if you have and they continue to be disruptive then you have the right to speak to the wardens to ask for their intervention.

If you have not taken it upon yourself to ask the people above you to keep quiet then you have no right to complain about their noise, having failed to take initial action to cease it.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby October on Wed May 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Have I done both?

yes. yes I have.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
October

Re:

Postby lts2 on Wed May 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Of course you have the right to study in your room, but instead of complaining about it on the sinner why not just go and sort it out, thats what the rest of us do when we have noise problems.
lts2

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed May 10, 2006 11:25 pm

because if no one complained here, the sinner would be devoid of interesting reading material.

I'm no longer bothered by the pool table and piano-rappers. The real distraction in my room would have to be my computer... and the internet.... and the sinner.... and facebook.... and generally everything!

Solution: Use the green room/library instead.

In any case, its not like you've got the worst room in hall Oct. I can hear everyone's balls dropping from my hovel. But those poor lasses in that alcove backing onto the common room got Teh-Sh1t when rooms were allocated last year. One of them decided it was better to leave and commute from Glasgow every day rather than put up with the constant noise, the piano, the drunken yahs thundering past her room at all hours. Not to mention people climbing out of the windows below and smoking/playing loud music right below her window. Wardens didn't do a damn thing about it!

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Thu May 11, 2006 9:46 am

Ooooooo the piano is playing right now! Heads up! Watch the artist be destroyed.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby October on Thu May 11, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting Ellkie from 10:46, 11th May 2006
Ooooooo the piano is playing right now! Heads up! Watch the artist be destroyed.

[hr]

It's all GEEK

Damn, and I miss it by being at the shops.
next time.

And I know I don't have the worst room in hall. And Yes Jono, I can hear the pool balls also. I am also next to a fire door that goes "Bleep, Bleep...BLeep" every so often. But that all said I do not mind liveing under the common room. All that I was asking was that, in the Exam time, the time when we are under quiet hours 24/7, that the piano not be played.
It is not like a single room above were it is only one or two people that are there. A good few people use it, and it would be near impossible for me, or the RM's to have told everyone to be quiet. There will always be one who does not get the message, maybe because, like today when they were playing I wasn't in my room.
I was just asking on the sinner because I didn't feel that I have a right to force my opinion on others, So before I took the idea to the RM's/wardens, I just wanted other peoples thoughts.

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
October

Re:

Postby liliputian on Thu May 11, 2006 11:07 am

If you speak to the RMs they'll send out an email saying no one can play the piano during exam time, and lock it so that even those who choose to ignore the email can't play anyways.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Jess on Thu May 11, 2006 6:22 pm

There are much worse noises than the piano...believe me! It's a shame the rooms aren't soundproof...I can hear the piano from my room too, being directly above it, but it's kind of nice, unless they choose to play the same thing over and over again....In the "real" world, all the sound is not going to stop every time you have to do a piece of work, so I would treat this as good practice, assuming you all make it...

[hr]

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105926
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105926
Jess

Re:

Postby little headache on Thu May 11, 2006 10:51 pm

The thing that bothers me about people playing piano is the lack of common sense. *Of course* it's exam time, *of course* they're going to love my re-enactment of the movie Ray!

If we have a problem, yeah, we should ask them to stop-- but I really think people should know better than to play the damn thing during quiet time in the first place.
little headache

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)