Home

TheSinner.net

Because this board is basically just a quote log now...

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Because this board is basically just a quote log now...

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:27 am

What's this I hear about no one getting their nominations in on time?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am

... What? No one handed in late nominations.

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:21 am

Huh????

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am

oh well. Who would have thought that the 7PM fire alarm rumor mill was wrong?

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby October on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:35 am

so how many times did the fire alarm go off?
Sinces I was only there for the first one I don't really know what was wrong with it in the first places,
so what was the cause of 'em

[hr]

I'm Telling you.
It was the Ninja Robot Monkeys that did it.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Wooly on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:39 pm

Wooly

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:01 pm

Kind of served to highlight the completely ceremonial approach to fire saftey that we seem to have. Short of the fire service physically kicking down every door in hall to check each and every room, there's no way anyone could possibly have known who's in and out of hall at any given time.

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:25 pm

Jesus christ Jon, do you ever stop complaining about stuff?

[hr]

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:37 pm

Yeh, because it's so fucking 'bad-chat' to comment on something that might just be a severe saftey risk!

Yeh, it was a pain in the arse, I don't care about that, that's not what i'm complaining about.

The fact is that had it been a real fire, without any way of knowing who was inside the building, the Fire crews would have had to search all hall on the offchance someone was passed out in their room, risking their lives, and the life of anyone actually trapped, due to the fact the rescue crews would have to stop off and check every single room!

maybe if you weren't so busy finding fault with everyone else, this obvious flaw in the system wouldn't have escaped you.

I don't give a toss about congregating in the cold in the cabbage patch. But I'd rather be out there for a fire alarm than to plant a memorial tree!

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Jono from 21:01, 2nd Nov 2006
there's no way anyone could possibly have known who's in and out of hall at any given time.

Follow the dulcit tones of my SCREAMS OF BURNING PAIN!

[hr]

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby rtsg on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:46 am

OK, so what do you suggest? There are 2 ways to implement what you are saying Jon, to my mind at least. We sign in and out the building everytime we go out, or we have brand new card readers that actually records your ID. The latter will bung a shedload of money onto our already too expensive hall fees. Unfortunately we just have to make do with the system we have in my mind.
Quoting Jono from 21:37, 2nd Nov 2006
Yeh, because it's so fucking 'bad-chat' to comment on something that might just be a severe saftey risk!

Yeh, it was a pain in the arse, I don't care about that, that's not what i'm complaining about.

The fact is that had it been a real fire, without any way of knowing who was inside the building, the Fire crews would have had to search all hall on the offchance someone was passed out in their room, risking their lives, and the life of anyone actually trapped, due to the fact the rescue crews would have to stop off and check every single room!

maybe if you weren't so busy finding fault with everyone else, this obvious flaw in the system wouldn't have escaped you.

I don't give a toss about congregating in the cold in the cabbage patch. But I'd rather be out there for a fire alarm than to plant a memorial tree!

[hr]

rtsg

Jumps in before it all kicks off...

Postby o_t4ng on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:15 am

Ok...

I get what Jon is *trying* to say. It is an issue which has been brought up many times before, but always met with the response that Riho gave... it is impossible (under the current conditions/constraints) to record exactly who is/isn't in the building at any given time.

However, I did learn that 'if you are on your way out anyway you can just go without registering at the Cabbage Patch'... also they don't care who may or not be in the building (as I found out when I tried to report that Riho was in the Rasin), instead it's just a register of who was in the Cabbage Patch... I find this policy fantastic...

So, yeh, just thought I should interject before this becomes another Jon-vs-The-World thread.

Play nice.

[hr]

o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting rtsg from 01:46, 3rd Nov 2006
OK, so what do you suggest? There are 2 ways to implement what you are saying Jon, to my mind at least. We sign in and out the building everytime we go out, or we have brand new card readers that actually records your ID. The latter will bung a shedload of money onto our already too expensive hall fees. Unfortunately we just have to make do with the system we have in my mind.
Quoting Jono from 21:37, 2nd Nov 2006

[hr]

I'm not so sure we'd need new card readers to be honest with you. The reader is set to only accept specific matric cards from people in hall, so there must be some recorded ID going on anyway. If you could hook it up to a database and a printer that ran off a register in the event of a fire alarm going off, you might be able to do it.

Though I was having this conversation with andrew before hand, he rightly pointed out that it'd only take one person to hold the door for someone and the whole thing'd be buggered.

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Jono from 05:47, 3rd Nov 2006

it'd only take one person to hold the door for someone and the whole thing'd be buggered.

This is why you shouldn't be nice to people... cos then they end up burning to death because they were too lazy to swipe their cards... and you, for the trouble of being polite, get the guilt of having let someone die, on your conscience forever.

[hr]

o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Magus on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 pm

If it's still the same as in the "good old days" you are only required to sign out between the hours of 11pm and 7am. If the fire alarm goes off outside of these times you are not obliged to go to the Cabbage Patch - you can just walk off. The hall has no responsibility to account for your whereabouts, so they cannot hold you... This is especially good for those late evening ones - go to the pub! Hurray!

[hr]

When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby Akasha on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:00 pm

Rightio...

There is no way of knowing -electronically- exactly who is in hall unless we install some sort of cattle-grid system onto the front door that only lets one person through per swipe of their matric card.
Obviously, this is not practical and poses serious problems in terms of access (disabled, emergencies etc).

If the alarm goes off the firemen look at the machine - really, it's not that hard. (the RM's/Wardens usually check which alarm has set the system off anyway) and the firemen will run off and check that area. If there is no fire - no problem.
If there is a fire then anyone who is trapped (here i mean people trapped by flames, not drunken idiots who don't know how to open their doors) is likely to be trapped in that area - therefore it is quite easy to ensure that the rooms which are in danger are empty during the day.
If the fire is small then it will be quickly contained and there is no problem. If some idiot has thrown petrol about then they will, obviously, call for reinforcements asap. However, the same rules apply. The rooms at the opposite end of hall from the fire will be given least priority.

You've got to remember that this is quite a big building. It would take time to catch on fire and the whole place wouldn't just 'light up'.
Akasha

Re:

Postby rtsg on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:20 pm

Furthermore, lets not forget that big flats, towerblocks, and appartments dont have registers to know who's in the building and who isnt. why is this any different to us in hall?

moreover, why is hall responsible for us at night? to be honest, I'm not too fussed about extra fire safety as i know its far safer in hall than in my home back in london. We have two smoke alamrms and but do not feel THAT safe with them. If there is a fire back home and I am trapped upstairs then there is nothing for it but to jump out the window, and then I am trapped in my garden with tall bushess all round. noone stops to check whether the smokealarm is actually going off for a reason. whereas here there are affective measures, escape routes, fire alarms, and the fireservice come direct to us on every alarm.

I feel thats something to be happy about
rtsg

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)