Home

TheSinner.net

Re-applying for hall

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Re-applying for hall

Postby theonlyone on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Anyone have any idea the best way to convince the warden that he should let you back in to hall, apparently he wants a letter with my reasons for re-applying in it!!!
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Das Feuer liebt mich on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:48 pm

Well....I've been told that to have a good chance of getting back into hall you need to be a highly sociable person who everyone loves and you need to be in the committee or at least participate in hall activities in some shape or form. Alternatively you could just be REALLY nice to the warden…….
Quoting theonlyone from 23:12, 16th Jan 2007
Anyone have any idea the best way to convince the warden that he should let you back in to hall, apparently he wants a letter with my reasons for re-applying in it!!!
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.
Das Feuer liebt mich

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:33 am

Don't be a cock?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376
Exclusive to The Sinnner, and all other forums.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby pea on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 am

You're kidding, they're actually asking for a letter with your reasons? Taking it a bit to extremes this year are they not???

[hr]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

pea

Re:

Postby Adam Fellows on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 am

I had to do it last year, though that might have been for potential residents who had not lived in the hall before. That was the best ass-kissing letter I ever wrote.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100367
Adam Fellows

Re:

Postby Telinar on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:27 am

I theoretically had to see Jennifer Franz (previous warden) last year since I didn't actually live here but never did see her on account of twisting my ankle and being immobile at the time, and I got in for whatever reason. But it's probably better to do what they say, even if it proves to be a total waste of time, else they could reject your application on tenuous grounds.

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:46 pm

any tips for writtin a kiss ass letter? i need to get back into hall this year, other wise im gonna be homeless....
theonlyone

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:58 pm

also, should i mention in my letter how i want an easy life, ie i dont want to pay bills and cook? im not entierly sure what the hell im supposed to be saying!!! im a scientists for crying out loud, i dont do writing!!
theonlyone

Re:

Postby Adam Fellows on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting theonlyone from 20:58, 17th Jan 2007
also, should i mention in my letter how i want an easy life, ie i dont want to pay bills and cook? im not entierly sure what the hell im supposed to be saying!!! im a scientists for crying out loud, i dont do writing!!

I don't know what year you are in, but I applied as a third year coming into fourth year and stated that the amount of work and extra-curricular stuff that I do had previously led me to neglect my health by not eating properly / at all, and sometimes the pressures of flatmates meant there seemed to be no quiet place I could go to when I needed time alone. It seemed to work.

[hr]

Adam Fellows

Re:

Postby theonlyone on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 am

thanks, im a 3rd year going into 4th yr, so cant be arsed trying to live with people in a flat...
theonlyone

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:54 am

Mention how you'd like to be involved in hall, perhaps being on the committee/sub committees or something, and what you think you'd bring to hall.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby skip on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:57 am

pretty easy to do if you're not a first year i reckon, say something about wanting to be in Hall for your final year to allow you to be sociable and be catered for while writing your dissertation. if you know anyone else living here next year i'd mention that as well

on another note, about 99% sure I've got a flat sorted for next year, but is it worth reapplying just in case of the 1%? or is it a bit of a waste, especially since i'll be going for my room again (one of the best ones, my opinion anyway)
skip

Re:

Postby October on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting skip from 00:57, 18th Jan 2007
i'll be going for my room again (one of the best ones, my opinion anyway)

Is that the onne you were in last year, or the one your in now?

And when do the froms need to be filled in by?

[hr]

I never thought I be so grateful that my best friend from college went on to become the director of the CIA.
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 am

Forms generally don't need to be submitted til end of Feb I believe, they're just giving you all the information early as all the flatlists seems to be out uber early this year.
Sean, I wouldn't bother reapplying for hall, it'll be a waste of your time really.

[hr]

pea

Re:

Postby Craicman on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:18 am

ok the university accomodation system works like this, having lived in on average 1 hall for each year iv been in st andrews.

firstly you apply, for sallies, regs and here, and possibly uni hall now, you have to write them a letter to say why you want to live in that hall. this is largely a formality. then what happens is that you should also pop your head in to see the warden to say you wish to return/move into that hall. this actually increases your chances considerably in what is a lucky dip, as the wardens choose randomly from the list of those who apply.

there is a weighting system, so places are more readily available to the senior years, with 4th years returning for a 5th year whose friends all graduate this year (like me) getting preferential treatment, followed by returning 3rd years etc.

But don't worry about not having a place to live. if you don't get your first choice hall then you'll probably be offered to apply for andrew melville or DRA, and will get in. andrew melville isn't actually that bad, the food is easily the best for a hall in town. and having lived in both places id say that DRA is a [not very nice place] to live in.

and if you are really desperate and cant get a hall position the university WILL help you to find somewhere to live so that you wont be homeless.

[hr]

~~DarkDepth~~
Craicman

Re:

Postby sartorius on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:48 am

The Forms have to be returned by 12th febuary this year. Thats probably a bit earlier than in other years, they've been avaliable since last wednesday.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/resbus/studacc_Applic.shtml

Quoting pea from 02:19, 18th Jan 2007
Forms generally don't need to be submitted til end of Feb I believe, they're just giving you all the information early as all the flatlists seems to be out uber early this year.
Sean, I wouldn't bother reapplying for hall, it'll be a waste of your time really.

[hr]

sartorius

Re:

Postby Adam Fellows on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting Craicman from 09:18, 18th Jan 2007
then what happens is that you should also pop your head in to see the warden to say you wish to return/move into that hall. this actually increases your chances considerably in what is a lucky dip, as the wardens choose randomly from the list of those who apply.

This is a really good idea, as it gives your potential warden a chance to meet you and get to know you instead of just going off a letter.

there is a weighting system, so places are more readily available to the senior years, with 4th years returning for a 5th year whose friends all graduate this year (like me) getting preferential treatment, followed by returning 3rd years etc.

I don't think this is true anymore, which is a shame for all the oldies. The only people to whom weighted consideration is given to are disabled students. Everyone else is based on a mix of students (the only weighting is entrant v returning, not the different years of returning students). Everyone seemingly has an equal chance of getting in, just prove to the warden that you can be a good hall resident.

[hr]

Adam Fellows

Re:

Postby Count Dracula on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:40 am

Am I missing something? I filled in the application form for living in hall again next year and I know nothing about having to write a letter to the warden......

[hr]

Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Count Dracula

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)