Home

TheSinner.net

St Regulus Hall - any good?

This is for people to chat about Regs, to people in Regs, or for residents to chat amongst themselves.

St Regulus Hall - any good?

Postby milkshake on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:40 pm

What do people think are the best and worst features of our magnificent hall?

And how would you describe it to someone from a far-off exotic uni?
milkshake

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:50 pm

[s]milkshake wrote on 23:40, 23rd Feb 2004:
What do people think are the best and worst features of our magnificent hall?

And how would you describe it to someone from a far-off exotic uni?

Best-the accomodation itself in the annexe is okay

Worst-food. by far.
Manic23

Re:

Postby Campbell on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 pm

nice one,

right, i would say it all depends completely on who you are, where in halls you are (annexe/main hall) who you share with, how much you like eating manure etc etc. two people in the same halls could have completely different experiences

that's quite obvious actually, so i'll stop trying to sound intelligent and answer the question -

best thing - big rooms

worst thing - i think i may be alone in this one, but i don't really like the food all that much
Campbell

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:03 am

well... i really think the food isn't that bad!! it's not amazing but it certainly isn't bad for you and it usually tastes nice.

best: big rooms, always warm, friendly staff, good atmosphere - small hall but most are very sociable!

worst: nothing significant.
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Jonny_G on Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:26 am

Best: The Hall (as i like to refer to it) is very friendly and fosters great friendships/relationships among it's residents. It is warm in winter, the staff are helpful and friendly. Take a look at the current inter-hall sports competition. Regs, the smallest hall (excluding post-grad residences) is siting second in the men's comp and third in the women's. New Hall, the largest, is languishing near the bottom. The food, despite what you may think, is considerably better than many halls, again due in part to it's small size.

Worst: You will always get a scummy element. I have noticed increasing vandalism and theft in this hall which quite frankly is a disgrace. The people that do this are the scum of the earth, unfortuanately they exist in every hall. I have become increasingly disconsolate at the lack of respect shown for the possessions of others. But i remain pleased with my choice to live here in my final year.
Jonny_G

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 am

[s]andrewdalgleish wrote on 00:03, 24th Feb 2004:
well... i really think the food isn't that bad!! it's not amazing but it certainly isn't bad for you and it usually tastes nice.

would that be a wee bit biassed?!

Was just wondering Andrew, can the chefs take requests through you? Put in a good word so we get turkey dinosaurs minimum 3 days a week!

Would a petition on the sinner help? I know im not alone in the turkey dinosaur and smily faces appreciation
Manic23

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:58 am

[s]Jonny_G wrote on 00:26, 24th Feb 2004:

Worst: You will always get a scummy element. I have noticed increasing vandalism and theft in this hall which quite frankly is a disgrace. The people that do this are the scum of the earth, unfortuanately they exist in every hall. I have become increasingly disconsolate at the lack of respect shown for the possessions of others. But i remain pleased with my choice to live here in my final year.

is there a lot of theft? you never hear about anything going missing, except if the victim of the theft posts a note on the noticeboard. thats the good thing about the annexe, its relatively safe and no-one would really have any qualms about leaving clothes in the drying room.

I had no idea main hall had such a problem
Manic23

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:05 am

And I won't be going there :'( Damn rent increases.

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:48 am

[s]Manic23 wrote on 08:54, 24th Feb 2004:
[s]andrewdalgleish wrote on 00:03, 24th Feb 2004:[i]

Was just wondering Andrew, can the chefs take requests through you? Put in a good word so we get turkey dinosaurs minimum 3 days a week!

Would a petition on the sinner help? I know im not alone in the turkey dinosaur and smily faces appreciation
[/i]

to be perfectly honest its not biased at all. maybe i'm just a crappy cook myself so i think it's not bad :p

i can suggest these to the head chef, i'll see what he says. personally i'm not a big fan of turkey dinosaurs (nice idea, but i just don't like them) but i have to agree with you on the smiley faces! (although it has been noted that a few people won't eat food that smiles back at them!!)
the committee also just decided by vote to try to reintroduce baked potato days for lunches. :D i love them!
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:03 pm

[s]andrewdalgleish wrote on 01:48, 25th Feb 2004:

to be perfectly honest its not biased at all. maybe i'm just a crappy cook myself so i think it's not bad :p

i can suggest these to the head chef, i'll see what he says. personally i'm not a big fan of turkey dinosaurs (nice idea, but i just don't like them) but i have to agree with you on the smiley faces! (although it has been noted that a few people won't eat food that smiles back at them!!)
the committee also just decided by vote to try to reintroduce baked potato days for lunches. :D i love them!

Nooooooo! Please no more baked potato days! they make me want to cry. Or at least baked potatoes with something other than just beans, i could live with that.
Manic23

Re:

Postby Campbell on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:22 pm

or about twelve each with a variety of interesting toppings eg turkey dinosaurs
Campbell

Re:

Postby lapis lazuli on Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:08 pm

Regs is great, it's definitely the best place I've stayed in...

And the 'bonding' that takes place on A-floor, I've never known anything like it...

More baked potatoes would be good... and chicken curry and poppadoms.. and the chips n dips last week were surprisingly nice.

:-D

[hr]
yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes
[i:30c0hhg5]yacketayakking screaming vomiting whispering facts and memories and anecdotes[/i:30c0hhg5]
lapis lazuli

Re:

Postby Lonely_Soul on Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:47 pm

> and chicken curry and poppadoms..

I am not a great fan of the "Chicken Curry"... a bit tasteless and too much pepper, methinks...

*however* the Chicken Korma that they used to have in First Semester was very good. Please, please can we have that again and more often? I havn't seen it for ages...

I don't mind baked potato days, but a freer choice of toppings would be nice - ie. so one can have baked beans *and* cheese! And more than 15 baked beans at a time would be nice =)

One more point whilst ont the subject of food - I would personally appreciate it if one could have some salad as well as the main meal - not a great deal like a whole plateful, just (say) a small amount of lettuce or whatever... if one doesn't fancy the main vegetable, and one only wants a leaf of lettuce with ones main dish, this isn't possible at the moment... Could it be *made* possible, pleaaase!!!

L_S
Lonely_Soul

Re:

Postby amac on Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:55 pm

Glad to see i'm not alone in liking the chicken korma. Its worth it if only for the the naan bread. You can't go wrong with naan bread.

I don't know why they don't do more with rice. Its not like its expensive and you can do a lot with it to keep up the variety.

Anyway in keeping with the thread, good points are the location and size of the halls (rooms are good in the annex, and the hall isn't big and impersonal).
amac

Return to St Regulus Hall (Regs)