Home

TheSinner.net

Naming?

The Townsend Society has been created to provide a community for those not living in halls of residence

Re: Naming?

Postby Al on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 am

I apologise for the "from scratch" bit. I obviously mistook your meaning. As for the rest, I really don't see why the point is so difficult to grasp. The Crichton-Montrose Society is/was the society for those students who live outside the residence system. I accept that many students have not heard of it. I do not accept that people involved in the Union have not heard of it. If they haven't, they should have. Renaming it "Townsend" is either a result of the endless and pointless rebranding so beloved nowadays, or, as I said, an attempt to make it appear more was done than actually was done.

And if the name really doesn't matter, why was it changed?
Al

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Al wrote:I apologise for the "from scratch" bit. I obviously mistook your meaning.

Thanks!

As for the rest, I really don't see why the point is so difficult to grasp. The Crichton-Montrose Society is/was the society for those students who live outside the residence system. I accept that many students have not heard of it. I do not accept that people involved in the Union have not heard of it. If they haven't, they should have.

I have indeed heard of CM and know a fair amount about what it did/stood for. I think many of those in Union circles certainly have. It's a shame it rather fell by the wayside.

Renaming it "Townsend" is either a result of the endless and pointless rebranding so beloved nowadays, or, as I said, an attempt to make it appear more was done than actually was done.

And if the name really doesn't matter, why was it changed?

Every year something gets rebranded at the Union - be it a sabbatical decision or a management decision. The Bop has been through various iterations (be it with or without the !, even as far as renaming it as 'Ignite' and now we have Multicolour Tuesdays instead of Cheeky) and let's not forget the decree of last year's SSC to rename the Salad Bowl as the Dover Suite (fortunately a decision that has since been reversed). I guess the only thing I can say to you is that at least the name was changed of something that had become unused and was maybe now associated with doing nothing as opposed to being proactive or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against this name change - and nor do I know the thought behind the name, nor really care (despite my long posts on this thread.... I'm procrastinating). All I can do is try and offer (slightly rambling) thoughts on why we have what we have.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Jono on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 pm

[quote="RandomMusings]
Every year something gets rebranded at the Union - be it a sabbatical decision or a management decision. The Bop has been through various iterations (be it with or without the !, even as far as renaming it as 'Ignite' and now we have Multicolour Tuesdays instead of Cheeky) and let's not forget the decree of last year's SSC to rename the Salad Bowl as the Dover Suite (fortunately a decision that has since been reversed). I guess the only thing I can say to you is that at least the name was changed of something that had become unused and was maybe now associated with doing nothing as opposed to being proactive or whatever.
[/quote]

Decree? 'Legal Vote' I think you'll find; or are we re-branding the SSC desicion-making process now?

Al, what you see as a few years, I see as a whole batch of students come and gone, never meeting between them. That's our difference of opinion, and probably generation too.

I think the main points here are two-fold:

1. Association Management are entitled to do whatever they jolly well feel like within the law (and sometimes even a bit more than the law technically allows!)

however:

2. in St Andrews, you will always be called on your shit, and must account for it!

Point one has legitimately led to point two. Questioning the name change is fine. Questioning it on here is pointless. No Sab has dared use this forum properly in over two years. That might have something to do with the burning hostility which is routinely directed at incumbent office-holders on here; I don't know. What I do know is that Philippa Dunn doesn't (Dunnsn't?) use this board, and certainly doesn't take complaints from it.

Speaking as one of the few people who has actually brought this issue up with our present DOSDA; I would suggest that anyone who cares about Townsend/CM to shun arguing on this board, stop bothering with polls, and bring up the issue directly! the email is dosda@st-andrews.ac.uk . I wish you all the best of luck!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Jono wrote: Dunnsn't

Shocking..... let's keep the puns out of all this shall we? This thread is PUNishing enough to read as it is......
Last edited by RandomMusings on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby starsandsparkles on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:37 pm

Kegrad wrote:So on a more important note, what work has been done and what is planned for townsend?

This.
starsandsparkles

Postby Delts on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:40 pm

RandomMusings wrote:
Jono wrote: Dunnsn't

Shocking..... let's keep the puns out of all this shall we? This thread is PUNishing enough to read as it is......

I get the feeling I've read this post on another forum recently... :P
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Previous

Return to The Townsend Society - For those not in halls