Home

TheSinner.net

Ancient phil exam

For Philosophy students and those with a love for all things philosophical! Come here to post questions, give answers or hear all the latest news and events from the Philosophy Society.

Ancient phil exam

Postby Help! on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:50 pm

I am wetting myself. There is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much to remember.

Euthyphro
Meno
Phaedo
Plato's Republic - Books 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Aristotle - Physics II, Metaphysics and Nicomachean Ethics
Epicureans
Stoics
Skeptics

PHEW! That's 14 odd TEXTS never mind topics! How are we supposed to know what will come up on the exam?
Help!

Re:

Postby Dark_Soul on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Tell me about it! I think I'm just gonna resort to the fact that I shall fail :(

[hr]

Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Dark_Soul

Re:

Postby fluffy on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 pm

PY2003?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Guys, you can't fail. Just focus on the basics. You can't write on what you wrote your essay on, so scrap that. It's all about interpretation. Interpret your little hearts out.

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby Help! on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Ok so Meno and recollection and Aristotle and nature is out the window. But there's still potentionally a LOT more to interpret!

Also am I the only one who was at an utter loss when Amber Carpenter took over? Her lecturing style is way way too fast and difficult to understand.
Help!

Re:

Postby fluffy on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:17 pm

amber carpenter has always been like that. the tutors tell you its because she's so clever... but... i stopped going to her lectures because i couldn't understand them. and i got a 13 overall. even without her stuff. which is fine cause it's not my degree topic.

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby AThought on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Just looking at the past exam papers for the last 4 years, in section B the hellenistic philosophers, there is always a question on each of the schools (epicureans, stoics, skeptics).

Would it be good practice to learn all about just one of those schools since you only need to answer 1 question from that section anyway?
AThought

Re:

Postby fluffy on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:38 pm

don't count on it. but you can probably get away with missing one out, and of the remaining three only focusing really well on two. but you don't wanna just count on one and then that one have a really hellish question.

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:01 pm

From what I remember of this course, the best possible thing you can do is make sure you understand the Republic. It makes a lot of sense of everything else. The hellenistic philosophers section is quite short so thats quite simple as there isn't as much depth. And Aristotle is evil, and impossible to read without falling asleep. And I'm in 4th year with a pretty high tolerance for 'difficult' philosophy.

It took me until honours to realise that you get so much more out of lectures if, instead of skimming the reading beforehand, you try to understand it properly i.e take notes etc. Then you can understand the lecture, rather than frantically writing everything down. And Amber Carpenter is incredibly fast, the key is to realise that she repeats everything 3 times in 3 different ways! Didn't you get Sarah Broadie too though? She's awesome, I just had Amber.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Exam wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but no breeze though. And yeah Sarah Broadie taught us, she was invaluable.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Dark_Soul on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 pm

I never actually managed to answer any of the questions. I just wrote loads of shit *kinda* relating to it. Meh...hope I get my 5 :S

[hr]

Dark_Soul

Return to Philosophy