Home

TheSinner.net

IR

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

IR

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:52 pm

Is IR actually a real subject? I mean seriously what do you guys actually study?

Re:

Postby bill on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:29 am

IR people don't study. Or use their brain. They spend the first two years of their life learning talking and writing techniques that will allow them to go thru the last two years withouthaving to actually OPEN a book (appat for essays of course where you only look for quotations, so that doesn't really count).

I, for one of them, a proud graduate of this department, can assure you that no work is actually required. However, anyone who got a first in IR has talent. It is possibly one of the hardest subejcts to get a first in, 'cause teachers can disagree with practically everything in your work, from argumentation technique to authors used.
bill

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:52 am

I agree with the guy above. I'm just about to start my 2nd year in it and the workload isnt massive, it just depends whether you're motivated enough to really read behind the subject. Plus i can't imagine how difficult it is to get a first cos as bill says the tutors can disagree on everything, you just have to make sure your argument is backed up by strong evidence and pretty well balanced
'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Answerring the question

Postby Chinchilla33 on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:41 am

O.K. So, to actualy ANSWER the question that "unregistered user" first posted, IR is very much a "real subject", and is increasingly becomming recognised as an important one to study if you want to go on to work in international organisations both at governmental or non-governmental levels.

IR is essentially a subject that studies, (as the name suggests) relations at a global level. Whilst this once meant relationships between states or countries, it now includes also the role of a plethora of other entities such as civil society, interest groups and international organisations.

You might like to think of IR as Politics being studied on a global scale; increasingly important in a world that is is becomming ever closer connected.

I hope that answers your question.

Now, I'd like to pick up Bill on a few points as I wouldn't want people to leave this threat misinformed.

Whilst some people may not choose to use their brain much, this really is up to them and can apply across all subjects at University. The difference between school and Uni is that at Uni if you don't live up to your potential, there isn't going to be someone breathing down your neck telling you so. At University level you really have to develop the discipline and responsibility to try and set your own targets and get the most out of it that you can.

Bill said that if you want to get a 1st you "must be pretty talented". I'd suggest that in part this is true, but also it can't be done without a lot of time studying. This means reading a lot and developing those all important analytical skills.

IR can potentially be a great subject for you to study. If you work hard and pay attention then you should hopefully develop some vital skills that employers are looking for.

I would like to question Bill's suggestion that you just learn "talking and writing techniques" in your first two years. Whilst I agree with him in that it does greatly aid your persuasive and arguementative skills, I personally alongside this also developed my knowledge of modern history, now understand the complexities of forming foreign policy and appreciate a great number of different viewpoints that try to explain poverty, International Political Economy, Political integration and a great deal more.

As I said, one can say that "no work is actually required" for any subject. The simple plain truth of it however is that you get out what you put in. If you do want to work then there is an immense amount that you can get out, similarly if you choose to waste something that many people in the world world give their left foot for, then I guess that really is your bad look out.

Hope this clears the air a bit.
Chinchilla33

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:04 pm

I would have written all that but considering so few people read this board i couldnt really be arsed giving mr.unregistered user my valuable time
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Chinchilla33 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:26 am

Ahhh... I'm touched that you thought I was worth spending your time on.

:-)
Chinchilla33

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:21 pm

I'm just touched you spent your time typing such an eloquent answer to someone who probably doesnt give much of a toss
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:36 pm

well, it helped me. thanks for the time invested :)

Return to International Relations