Home

TheSinner.net

Goodbye Ian Hall

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

Goodbye Ian Hall

Postby Griggsy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:27 pm

Worst thing to happen to the IR department for ages...Ian Hall gave his last lecture today. At least I can say I was there.

[hr]

'I run wild in the shadowy jungle of erotic adventures.'
Griggsy

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:01 pm

Great lecturer - there should be more as good as he is. I look forward with anticipation to the release of his new book, which if I am correct, comes out sometime next year.

I wish him and his future endeavours the best of luck.

p.s. I was also there.

p.p.s. anyone know the title of said book?

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:46 pm

Don't know the name of it, but did hear that it was causing quite a lot of controversy in the school itself for being a challenging and provocative book. Is this any reason to do with his departure?

Who are you anyway Grandpa?

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

My name's Euan. Who are you??

I didn't know his book was controversial (sp?)...are you talking about the same one? The larest - I heard it wouldn't be out till next yr?

[hr]

[s]Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur, facias ipse quod faciamus suades - pax vobiscum.[/s]
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby Griggsy on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:45 am

i'm griggsy! no my name's Sam. to be honest I'm not really sure about the book but if it's half as good as his lectures I'll be buying it

[hr]

Griggsy

Re:

Postby joug on Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:33 pm

So who is going to take my 3rd year Politics of war course??? Imber mentioned he was having trouble finding people to run courses actually, this must be one of them... I'm gutted, I really enjoyed his lectures. Hope we get someone good...
joug

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:36 pm

Oh no! I had no idea he's leaving. Why, where?

Re:

Any word who will be taking over his courses for next semester?

Re:

Where is he going to? The Guy IS GOD.

Re:

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:36 pm

I'm sure St Augustine would be so pleased to see he'd be quoted in the Sinner.

Thanks for saying goodbye...and for puffing my book (out in September 2006, with luck, a mere £45 from Palgrave...) Don't recommend it myself - not nearly as exciting as you make it sound, nor as controversial.
Ian

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting Ian from 15:23, 14th Dec 2005
I'm sure St Augustine would be so pleased to see he'd be quoted in the Sinner.

Thanks for saying goodbye...and for puffing my book (out in September 2006, with luck, a mere £45 from Palgrave...) Don't recommend it myself - not nearly as exciting as you make it sound, nor as controversial.

Well, Dr. Hall, if you say so. But then I think you should register yourself on this here website (and get ready for the new version - in debug process as we type) and give us a rundown of it here if you think it is not as exciting - but then, you're modest I'm sure.

Seriously, a run down in here would be great - I think you'd spark a trend...go on, give it a try.

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:55 am

Found it, it's:

The International Thought of Martin Wight (New York: Palgrave, forthcoming 2006).

But interestingly enough I found a book also by an 'Ian P. Hall' called 'Pharmacogenetics' that is out in May this year.

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting grandpa from 05:55, 26th Jan 2006
Found it, it's:

The International Thought of Martin Wight (New York: Palgrave, forthcoming 2006).

And from http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1468-2346.00225 I have found the following

Faith, history and Martin Wight:
the role of religion in the historical sociology of the English school of International Relations

Scott M. Thomas

Martin Wight is responsible for one of the English school's most distinctive features: the historical sociology of different international systems demonstrating the importance of world history for the study of International Relations. Because of Wight's influence, the English school was, from the beginning, concerned with the role of religion, culture and civilization in international society. This emphasis, particularly with regard to the role of religion, has been marginalized in the English school's current research programme. This is unfortunate because, despite a renewed interest in the English school, the kind of questions Wight asked about religion, culture and identity have become some of the most important in the study of IR. This article examines the role of religion in Wight's international theory, which cannot be separated from the fact that he was a devout Anglican throughout his life. There was a relationship between his personal faith and his understanding of religion's role in international relations that previous scholars have not examined. When these two aspects of Wight's faith and life are brought together, there is both a better sense of continuity between his early life as a Christian pacifist and his later years as a teacher and scholar of IR, and a better recognition of what his distinctive approach to religion brought to the study of International Relations.

But interestingly enough I found a book also by an 'Ian P. Hall' called 'Pharmacogenetics' that is out in May this year.

Directly unrelated, but interestingly linked to part of Dr. Hall's last lecture!
[hr]

[hr]

Grandpa

Re:

Postby Bigiddy up the Hall-meister on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:07 pm

It says on the IR website that he is quite clearly on sabbatical leave.

That means that the (stupid) rumour I'd heard that he was asked politely to take his employ elsewhere IS ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL UTTER RUBBISH.

Thank God for that - I for one am glad that it seems he'll be bringing some life back into IR lectures after May this year.

Not long folks...St Augustine would be proud!
Bigiddy up the Hall-meister

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:26 pm

Erm..........I think you'll find that he wrote on the main board that he was DEFINITELY not coming back. Go search for it.

Sorry to shatter your illusions.

Return to International Relations