Home

TheSinner.net

train bombings and the new spanish government

For discussion in IR. Principally for students in IR1005 to discuss lectures and related topics. Please register an account with the same username as your uni email to reduce confusion.

train bombings and the new spanish government

Postby dan greenberg on Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:40 am

Well, as horrible as this tragedy is, it obviously has relevance to our current module in foreign policy analysis. What will the new Spanish government do? Were the votes, the war in Iraq, or the mishandling of the bombing at home the source of the domestic repercussions that ousted Spain's foreign policy? Is it a conintuous problem of democracy that with a change in government comes a change in policy? Can Spain maintain 'cordial' relations with the U.S. while leaving the war?

These are all serious questions, and there are many more waiting to be asked. ... So please, go on and discuss.

Edit: Apologies
dan greenberg

Re:

Postby The IR man on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:29 am

"And, in the interest of academia, please refrain from calling the Spaniards lily-livered cowards or any other kind of derogatory remark, which, though it may be true, is insensitive, and come on, at least they're not French!"

Dear Mr Greenberg. I try to not make quick judgements about the Americans, I really do. But if you continue to spout this gung-ho, jingoistic nonsense you aren't really doing yourself any favours. "In the interest of academia"? Which particular academic discipline are you thinking of that encourages such blatantly racist views as you express? Talking of insensitive, how sensitive is it to blight your post on a truly tragic subject with these awful comments? I think it would be wise if you actually took time to think before writing this utter rubbish. Anyway, we thank you for taking time out of your day to write to us and I hope you have a lovely day and don't meet any spaniards or (even worse) french, as they are all "lily-livered cowards".
The IR man

Re:

Postby dan greenberg on Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:37 am

I find myself duly chastised. Forgive me, I was simply wondering if anyone had actually been reading this board, and decided that the easiest way to find out would be to try to anger someone enough to respond. Perhaps that's worse, taking advantage of this tragic event for my personal curiosity. I was just desperate to know if this board was actually making a difference, actually affecting what people thought. And at least I know it does so for one person, thank you.

On another note, a more relevant one, I would like to say that I would not blame Spain for pulling out, America did it in Somalia after seeing its wounded, but I do wonder what it would do to the state of world affairs. When I was growing up in Saudi, and my friends' military base [OPM-SANG] was bombed in 1995, America didn't pull out of its commitments abroad despite the deaths of some people close to me. I'm trying to realise the difference between these two, and what it comes down to I think is that Spain has no interest in the Middle East, with the big contracts going to US, and some UK, firms; just as the US had no interest besides humanitarian intervention in Somalia, whereas they did in the Middle East. What do you think about that? And again, I am sorry. I'll delete the offending section of the original post, but your post is your own to edit, and perhaps my comment should stay there. It was just an attempt to make someone respond.

Dan
dan greenberg

Re:

Postby LC on Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:59 pm

Are you like, a lecturer?
LC

N. Africa

Postby moksa on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:55 am

Forget Iraq, who were the people who carried out the bombings?
Mostly from N.Africa. Perhaps this is something more to come. After all Spain is still officially part of Dar al-Islam and there are many Islamists that seek to restore this former Islamic state.
moksa

Return to International Relations