Home

TheSinner.net

pre honours reading

With so many students studying psychology, we now have our own forum rather than clogging up the main sinner forum!

pre honours reading

Postby nighteyes on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 pm

so expensive to get all the books, for those that have already read them. which ones are worth getting and which are kinda pointless.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:50 pm

That pre-honours reading list is old (if you mean the one on the uni site). Though i'm assuming that doesn't make the lists irrelevant, it does make it a bit less important. There's a lot more of a focus in third year on reading articles, so if you wanna read any of the books, i'd suggest going for the ones relating to the subject you think will be hardest for you.

The only book i remember that i actually got told out of those to read in class last year was the cognitive neuropsychology of schizophrenia by frith, which, providing Brain and Behaviour's course hasn't changed, is fairly relevant, although not something that Phil Winn assumed any of us had already read.

And, again, unless the course has changed from last year, we don't cover anything to do with evolutionary psychology or language until second semester. But nobody from the department's gotten in touch with me for a while so i've no idea if it has or not.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:59 pm

it would be really handy if they could either put up a new and improved list - maybe one that tells you what oyou need fro each semester without having to sit down and try to figure out which lecturers you are going to get a semester. it would also be handy if they could put up the new honours handbook so you can see what the lecture structure is this year - i like to be preped well in advance of whats going on.

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm

I've given up on the uni having things prepared for us before we start - i know that if i'm lost on the first day then no doubt everyone else is too ;-)

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Im strugling with the Meme stuff - i dont know but for some reason when ever i start reading i instantly feel like i want to go to sleep.

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Hex on Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:49 pm

I didn't do any pre honours reading, and although I haven't done the social 3000 level modules yet due to doing joint honours the modules I have done certainly didn't look as if they'd be helped by it much.

A lot of the material is highly specific and you just have to read up on the actual research, and have very little background knowledge to be able to understand things.

Perhaps the only thing I can think of as being helpful would be to make sure you have a vaguely working knowledge of neuroanatomy, so that when various structures are mentioned you have a way to think about what's going on, and not just fell like you're remembering a meaningless name.
Hex

Return to Psychology