Home

TheSinner.net

have any psy books to sell?

With so many students studying psychology, we now have our own forum rather than clogging up the main sinner forum!

have any psy books to sell?

Postby davis on Tue May 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Particularly the ones that are meant to be read before entry into honors. Please email at db259
davis

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri May 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Take the summer off - enjoy being free of psychology while you can ;-)

The only lecturer this year who assumed we had read anything already was Byrne, but you have to read his book for second year anyway.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby davis on Mon May 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for the advice! :) There are some books that I would like to read anyway ;)
davis

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon May 21, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting Thalia from 22:15, 18th May 2007
The only lecturer this year who assumed we had read anything already was Byrne, but you have to read his book for second year anyway.

Rather, you're EXPECTED to have read his book for second year anyway. [cough, guilty look]

In response to the original topic, though: the reading list thing can pretty much be ignored, most of the reading you'll do in Junior Honours is research papers (many, many research papers - if you don't own a printer, either buy one or buy printer credits!). There are one or two textbooks but they're not really what you'd call light reading and probably make more sense when you've attended a lecture about it.

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby davis on Fri May 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks Amorphous! :)

That's the thing. I feel that I've been a bit idleing away during the first 2 years and that before plunging into research paper reading only it would be helpful to read smthg general on the psy topics. Research papers are quite specific and lacking general knowledge might be a bit of a problem, no? :)
davis

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Fri May 25, 2007 7:11 pm

I worry now that I may accidentally have induced someone into the Ways of Skiving. ;)

If you want to be really keen, read Eysenck and Keane's 'Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook'. It turns up in PS3007 (second semester) and features heavily - I didn't keep up with the reading, and suspect (I don't know yet!) that I suffered for it when it came to exams because there were some things I THOUGHT I understood but really didn't. Bear in mind that the textbook can get quite involved and also that Dr Quinn will slag the book off quite a lot, as it's certainly not perfect.

You're correct that research papers can be very specific - but the lectures should give you enough information to make sense of them, and then they in turn supplement the lectures by clarifying or developing on some points.

If you really want I can send you any reading lists I acquired over the year for the various modules, but reading in advance really isn't necessary and in some cases might just confuse matters!

[hr]

Amorphous

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri May 25, 2007 9:50 pm

Yeah, you could read that book - i am thinking of burning it in a sacrificial cleansing ceremony after all the boredom and suffering it caused me :-P

I would say it's fairly likely Gerry'll teach next year and if he does he'll recommend it.

But the good thing about articles is that the introduction does give you quite a bit of the background to the experiment, which means textbooks aren't really needed to understand. Unless it's from Mike Oram's class, in which case you'll still feel lost and confused but so will everyone else so it's fine ;-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby davis on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:01 am

Thank you both for posting. I really am not too crazy about reading stuff beforehand though might have given such impression :) I am just interested in most of the stuff that's on the pre-honors reading list.

Mike Oram can be confusing indeed :) Don't know anything about Dr. Quinn yet.

Enjoy the summer!
davis

Return to Psychology