Home

TheSinner.net

RON for Accommodation Officer

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

RON for Accommodation Officer

Postby mhuzzell on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:41 am

Nothing against the two remaining candidates, but James Pollard was disqualified for leaning out a window. In the interest of free and fair elections, vote R.O.N.

[hr]

I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Just to be clear; James Pollard was disqualified on the grounds that he is currently pending disciplinary action for (as you say) leaning out of a Venue2 window to hang a banner on the Union building, for which he did not have permission. This is a fairly serious violation of the association's Health and Safety policy.

He was cautioned at the time and asked to stop. When he refused to comply the Students' Association Executive became obliged to undertake disciplinary action in line with its own laws. I must stress that this was an SAEC (Students' Association Executive Committee) decision, not one made by the EOC.

Neither of the other candidates has violated any Students' Association law, and are therefore both eligible to stand.

David Haines, SSC Senior Officer, SAEC, SAB etc etc yadayadayada

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Spike on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Also, under Rule 1, subsection D of the election rules:
You may run for election provided that:....You are not currently banned from the Student's Association for any disciplinary offence.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103556
From Rock to Opera
Spike

I was wrong on the internet!

Postby Jono on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Also, under Rule 1, subsection D of the election rules:
You may run for election provided that:....You are not currently banned from the Student's Association for any disciplinary offence.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103556
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:19 pm

The banner in question was unrelated to the election. And, honestly, have you looked at the windows in Venue 2? You'd have to really try to fall out of one.

[hr]

mhuzzell

Re:

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Jono, you obviously are not in full possession of the facts. Firstly, the banner was completely unrelated to elections -- it was related to the fight for cheaper housing, and it was being hung from the Venue 2 windows in order to solicit & encourage people to come to the Union AGM to make their views on the subject known. As James was (and still is) on the education subcommittee of the SRC, I believe he was entirely right to do this his only problem was that he had not asked permission from exec to persue such a foolhardly course of action. In fact, the exec (many of whom are on EOC) saw this as challenging their authority and decided to discipline him for it -- in fact he was not the only person helping to hang the banner, there was at least one other person helping to hang said banner. Said person is also running for elections, and said person has not received anything in the way of a discipline or warning. Exec decided to make an example of James, and did so.

To think it would be *possible* to fall from the Venue 2 windows is absurd unless, of course, one was pushed. Given the atmosphere in the SRC as of late, it would not at all suprise me had that been the case.

Daniel
Daniel

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm

What exactly has it do with the SAEC? If it is a disciplinary matter then it should have gone to the Disciplinary Committee. If it is a question of someone breaking election rules then it should have gone to the EOC. And members of the SAEC who are officers of the SRC rather than the Association should have absolutely no input into purely Union-related matters.

That said, doing something so stupid is not the sort of thing that leads to confidence in his judgement as a potential executive officer of the SRC.
Al

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting Daniel from 19:04, 10th Mar 2008
...in fact he was not the only person helping to hang the banner, there was at least one other person helping to hang said banner. Said person is also running for elections, and said person has not received anything in the way of a discipline or warning. Exec decided to make an example of James, and did so.

Who is this person? Do you really think that advertising the fact that James had an accomplice is a good idea?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:37 am

Quoting Al from 20:56, 10th Mar 2008
What exactly has it do with the SAEC?

SAEC make up the majority of trustees of the Association - the report commissioned by Court on November lies the liability (in which is an unlimited liability partnership) squarely at the trustees. In the absence of a full Board, it was decided we convene (incidentally, a unanimous decision of the exec is always binding at Board, as you'll well know).

And to bring in Daniel, Mr Pollard was most vehement in his disregard for both Association Policy, replying 'no' when asked not to do something clearly in contravention. As trustees, (and althought I can't comment on discussion, I can comment on outcomes), it was decided to mandate the witnesses (both trustees) to file an incident report ASAP, to enable it to be heard at the next discipline committee meeting, with relevant notice.

Replying to mhuzzell, the connection of the banner to the elections would have only made the matter an EOC one. The huge contravention of health and safety law has nothing to do with elections, it was just bad timing on his behalf that he became in bad standing at such a time.

I agree with David on everything he's said.
Royce Hunt, SSC Primary Nominee to the SAEC / SAB.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:05 am

Fair enough.
Al

Re:

Postby LK Today on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:11 pm

Quoting Lid from 01:37, 11th Mar 2008
Quoting Al from 20:56, 10th Mar 2008
What exactly has it do with the SAEC?

[...]

And to bring in Daniel, Mr Pollard was most vehement in his disregard for both Association Policy, replying 'no' when asked not to do something clearly in contravention. As trustees, (and althought I can't comment on discussion, I can comment on outcomes), it was decided to mandate the witnesses (both trustees) to file an incident report ASAP, to enable it to be heard at the next discipline committee meeting, with relevant notice.

Replying to mhuzzell, the connection of the banner to the elections would have only made the matter an EOC one. The huge contravention of health and safety law has nothing to do with elections, it was just bad timing on his behalf that he became in bad standing at such a time.

Royce Hunt, SSC Primary Nominee to the SAEC / SAB.

[hr]

Extremely well said Royce. It still amazes me how some people think they don't need to worry about H&S regulations, and indeed the law, when it comes to elections, or even in the normal activities of the Union. It is clearly people who aren't the ones who will get in very serious trouble, should something go wrong.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102636
LK Today

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Quoting Lid from 01:37, 11th Mar 2008

This is the second time this has happened in less than a year. At this rate people will start agreeing with me in the real world too!

[hr]

Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 13:09, 11th Mar 2008
At this rate people will start agreeing with me in the real world too!

I agree.

[hr]

Lid

Return to Elections 2008