Home

TheSinner.net

Lee Kane - Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development & Activities

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Lee Kane - Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development & Activities

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:26 pm

Hey guys

as with everyone else on here already, if you have any questions at all, regarding me, my experience, my policies, etc, please feel free to post (or just send me an e mail if you prefer!) and I'll be happy to answer after the candidates meeting on Friday evening. Thanks!

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director of Student Development and Activities
LK Today

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Recently the current DoSDA, and indeed the position itself, has come under some fire 'round these parts for being "a waste of time and money". Do you feel you're able to redefine the role? How will you do it?

I might add that this is a viewpoint I do not share, however with respect to those who do, and to those people who live their lives here completely ignorant of student politics, will you aim to be more of a presence in the community at large? What would you, for lack of a better word, preach?

I look forward to your response after the meeting.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Darth Fanboy on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 am

'Ere's a couple for you: As at least part of the DOSDA's job involves making it easier for societies to improve and/or host events, what new policies are you planing to put in place to assist them (me) in this?

What areas do you concider the previous DOSDA and/or his policies to be weak in which you will be improving on?

What areas do you concider the previous DOSDA and/or his policies to be strong in which you will be continuing/emulating?

And will you get me a copy of the GameSoc constitution? I'll vote for anyone who promises me one. Ben Nicholson has been singularly unhelpful in this, and nobody in the society's seen it since 2001.

[hr]

EVIL IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NEITHER A MEANS NOR AN END. IT IS AN ATTITUDE AND A LIFESTYLE. Make no excuses. Support no ideology. Never explain. You're EVIL. Just do it.

Hold on to your asses, ass holders.
Nobody wants to read about a single mom trying to raise a kid and keep a job. People want to read about explosions, monsters, and exploding monsters.

http://Nelson40000.bebo.com
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102260
Darth Fanboy

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Hi Alex

Thanks for your question! Let’s take it in two parts.

Quoting DrAlex from 13:00, 9th Mar 2006
Recently the current DoSDA, and indeed the position itself, has come under some fire 'round these parts for being "a waste of time and money". Do you feel you're able to redefine the role? How will you do it?

I don’t think it is a case of ‘redefining’ the role, rather a case of further definition of the position. What many people forget is that this is a new position in it’s first year of existence. The job of defining a post like this is a huge one, and a challenge which I look forward to taking up. This is a case of further defining of what the role of DoSDA is, and indeed, can be. I will do this primarily by increasing the presence of the DoSDA, making sure that ALL students know who they are and who they need to talk to concerning different issues. I will have an open door policy, ensuring that students know they can come to see me whenever they need to, or indeed, want to. And as for the role being a ‘waste of time and money’, I couldn’t disagree more. Activities are what St Andrews is all about, and the more support we can offer them the better.

I might add that this is a viewpoint I do not share, however with respect to those who do, and to those people who live their lives here completely ignorant of student politics, will you aim to be more of a presence in the community at large? What would you, for lack of a better word, preach?

I look forward to your response after the meeting.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343

Like I said before, presence is key. After all, the Sabs, the SRC and the SSC are elected by students, and are accountable only to them. Therefore, there is a responsibility on them to ensure that the students are kept up to date with what’s going on in the Association. I will work to ensure that students know what I am doing as DoSDA, that they have the opportunity to express their views on what I am doing and that I represent them to the best of my ability in this position. As for preaching, that never works. It is one thing to tell people what you’re doing, but it is a different thing to make them listen. In one way this is a problem, however, even making sure that students know who their elected representatives are, and where they can find them, if needed, would be a first step.

I hope that answers your questions, though, if not, please do feel free to post again and I'll have another go!

Thanks

Lee Kane
LK Today

Re:

Postby flossy on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:50 pm

My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:13 pm

woops...

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director of Student Director of Development and Activities
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi Darth Fanboy
Thanks for your questions. Let's split it into 4 parts.

Quoting Darth Fanboy from 01:28, 11th Mar 2006
'Ere's a couple for you: As at least part of the DOSDA's job involves making it easier for societies to improve and/or host events, what new policies are you planing to put in place to assist them (me) in this?

Firstly I want control of the booking for the whole top floor of the Union to be transferred to the DoSDA, with the exception of Venue 2, which is to be joint with the DoES, being a part-time commercial venue. However, there is not unlimited space in the Union, therefore I will be looking at sourcing space from outside the building. For the past year the Buchanan has been open for student use twice a week, however, the booking process for this has been very complicated and therefore underused. I will also encourage the university to make more varied space available for student activities, such as the Schools in the Quad and the Old Union Diner.

In terms of the other factors in planning events, I intend to use my experience in event planning to support and assist you and people like you who are organising societies events. For example, posters and publicity. I will work with the DMO and the Design Team to make better use of this other new facility. Refreshments and catering. I will liaise with the DoES to ensure that you get the best deal possible. One of the key elements to ensuring events go well is to treat every one individually, and to support each one and it's peculiar requirements.

What areas do you concider the previous DOSDA and/or his policies to be weak in which you will be improving on?

With all due respect to the current DoSDA, I’ll try to pick holes in his performance. One thing which I would hope to improve on is accessibility, communication and presence. While many people know where the DoSDA office is, very few manage to get further along the middle floor than the General Office. By increasing presence and communicating the role to the students I would hope to encourage more into the DoSDA office, allowing the process to be more streamlined.

What areas do you concider the previous DOSDA and/or his policies to be strong in which you will be continuing/emulating?

Administration and knowledge of the proceedings and workings of the Association. The current DoSDA is excellent in these areas, and I would hope to be able to bring these qualities to the position also. A lot of the support the DoSDA can offer societies is in administration, for example writing reports, doing research and drawing up official documents, such as the Showcase contract for Mermaids which the current DoSDA did this year. As the main point of contact with the Association for societies and user groups, it is important that the DoSDA knows the regulations connected to activities both inside and outwith the Union building, and communicates these regulations to them.

And will you get me a copy of the GameSoc constitution? I'll vote for anyone who promises me one. Ben Nicholson has been singularly unhelpful in this, and nobody in the society's seen it since 2001.

[hr]

EVIL IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY. IT IS NEITHER A MEANS NOR AN END. IT IS AN ATTITUDE AND A LIFESTYLE. Make no excuses. Support no ideology. Never explain. You're EVIL. Just do it.

Hold on to your asses, ass holders.

As for the GameSoc constitution, I promise to do my best! If I cannot find it, I will help you create a new one. I promise!

Lee Kane
LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi Flossy

Yes, I think I have seen that question somewhere before!

I don't have any sure plans for next year. I did apply to do a PGCE however, but decided to withdraw my application as I don't think it is what I want to do. At least not yet anyhow. If RON wins I will probably go to Mongolia! Not as dramatic as it might sound - I spent two summers there doing aid work and will return some day soon. Probably do more aid work or teach English.

Lee Kane

Quoting flossy from 19:50, 11th Mar 2006
My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
LK Today

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:49 pm

What should the DoSDA do?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Sid on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Why are you even bothering? You're uncontested.
Sid

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:44 am

Hi Cain

Like my surname, only spelled differently! Anyhow...

i could go into the exact remit of the DoSDA, however, that would be too lengthy, and I would be up all night. If you want a copy, just pop into the General Office and they can help you in there.

On a personal note however, while I intend to fulfil the remit in it's entirety, there are a number of areas which I will single out for you now.

Firstly, room bookings and management of Association resources. The DoSDA, along with the staff in the General Office, will administer the room bookings for the student user groups rooms on the top floor of the Union. As I discussed above, these are not enough, so I will fight for the DoSDA to administer the extra rooms now being provided by the university, instead of Estates and Buildings, who currently carry out this job.

Secondly, be available to all societies and subcommittees as a support for their workings. The DoSDA should be able to help these committees in a number of different ways, including administration, planning events and pretty much any way they can.

Thirdly, and finally for now, the DoSDA should represent the needs of student activities to the SSC and the SRC, and, indeed, to the DoES. Student activities and development should be at the hear of their every interaction.

Sorry if that is a little short Cain. Feel free to post again if you want more. Or have a look on the webdite - it should be up by Monday.

Lee Kane

Quoting Cain from 21:49, 11th Mar 2006
What should the DoSDA do?

[hr]

LK Today

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:48 am

Hey Sinead

Why am I bothering? Yeah, I'm uncontested, but that doesn't make the position, or indeed the election, any less meaningful. I don't know why it has happened this way, but that is not important. What is important that I set out for everyone what I hope to achieve in the upcoming year as DoSDA, and then to achieve it. I am not running for this position because it is unopposed. I really do believe that I am the person for the job, and I really do believe that I can do a good job. If I don't, tell me, and I'll try to improve.

Lee Kane

Quoting Sid from 21:54, 11th Mar 2006
Why are you even bothering? You're uncontested.
LK Today

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:03 am

My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?

(PS I ask as a constitutional pedant, former hack, and impartial outsider now.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby LK Today on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 am

Thanks for your question exnihilo

It's is an odd year, isn't it! I only recall one uncontested sab candidate since I came to St Andews (Hannah in 2002- I think) but to have three in the same year really is something!

Am I concerned about it? In one way I am, but in another I am not. I am worried as it gives off a public image of apathy towards the union, which, to be honest, is partly true. However, a large proportion of the student population do have some knowledge of the SRC, the SSC and the position of sabbaticals. I am not concerned as I think the three candidates for the Director positions (Graeme, Laura and myself) will do a great job. We are all experienced in our own areas, and have very high hopes for the year. And as for each of us being loosely termed a Union insider, I am very glad you added the word loosely to that phrase. I will leave Graeme and Laura to comment on their insidership of the Union themselves. As for me, I suppose I could be termed as such, but from a number of different angles. I have sat on the SRC for a year. I have been on Board and Exec since the October carve-ups. I have been on the Mermaids committee for almost a year. However, I directed my first show in Venue 1 almost three and a half years ago.

I think that being an insider (if you want to call me such) isn't exactly a bad thing. I have the experience in these areas, and know the workings of the Association, therefore am able to bring this experience to the position.

A complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Not sure on that one. I think that most people will know what the DoR does (more so than the President in fact) however, the split of DoS to DoES and DoSDA is something which I have already said I will seek to further define next year. You;re right, it does need more communicating with the student body, however, sometimes people just don't care! Like I've said before, you can get the information out there, but you cannot make people listen. That is sad, but so long as the people in the positions keep doing their jobs, and have the information there for the students when they need it, then I don't see that big of a problem.

Let me make this more clear.

Most students can go happily through their university career without ever taking notice of what the Directors, SRC and SSC are doing, even if the information is posted everywhere.

If they do encounter a problem, then the way of communicating that problem to the Directors, SRC and SSC must be readily available, and steps be taken as quickly as possible to rectify the problem.

People within the Union (the insiders as some like to call them!!) know that things don't just happen. Every student expects there to be a bop on a Friday night, but we know the work that it takes. Ents crew spend hours preparing the venue. Staffing ensures that there are members of staff on to cover the door and the bars, people to sell bop bands and a member of Exec on duty. Most people never know the planing and work that goes into it, until there is a problem with it.

Ok, that's my ramblings over. If I've not answered this post again and I'll have another go.

Night night

Lee Kane

Quoting exnihilo from 03:03, 12th Mar 2006
My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?

(PS I ask as a constitutional pedant, former hack, and impartial outsider now.)
LK Today

Re:

Postby Sid on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:18 am

I have a presentation to do tomorrow and because procrastination is my middle name I've not done it. My question to you is, would you like to come round to my house right now and do the work for me? If so I'll vote for you!
Sid

Re:

Postby LK Today on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:51 pm

Sorry Sinead, just got this post!!

I would have loved to come round to your house and written your presentation (if you had provided tea and biscuits of course!!) but I don't think you would have done very well. I only ever went to three Art History lectures, and that was only when I was avoiding the rain in first year. If you want to give my social anthropology dissertation a go you're more than welcome. Think you probably could do better than me at that!!

Lee Kane

Quoting Sid from 03:18, 13th Mar 2006
I have a presentation to do tomorrow and because procrastination is my middle name I've not done it. My question to you is, would you like to come round to my house right now and do the work for me? If so I'll vote for you!
LK Today

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Do you not think it slightly risky to be seen to be favouring one candidate for the Association Presidency over the other candidates?
Al

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:05 am

As with everyone I am entitled to have my own preference as to who I would like to be the Association President, (or DoEC as I would have it!) however, while I am not hiding who I am supporting, I am not campaigning for any candidate in this race. Since deciding to run, I have been suppoting Graeme Hamilton for DoES and would have continued to do so had he been opposed. However, as for the position of Association President, I do have my preferences, however, I am prepared to work with a number of the candidates.

Lee Kane
Nominated fo Association Director of Student Development and Activities

Quoting Al from 17:22, 14th Mar 2006
Do you not think it slightly risky to be seen to be favouring one candidate for the Association Presidency over the other candidates?
LK Today

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:06 am

I was talking more of Mr Bryne's suggestion that you were supporting him. However, he's deleted the post where he made the suggestion.
Al

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting LK Today from 00:44, 12th Mar 2006
Firstly, room bookings and management of Association resources.

Secondly, be available to all societies and subcommittees as a support for their workings.

Thirdly, and finally for now, the DoSDA should represent the needs of student activities to the SSC and the SRC, and, indeed, to the DoES.

so, we have the DoSDA as an Administrative post, the DoSDA as a Societies Officer and the DoSDA replicating the work of the DoES.

Something that my friends had been struggling to work out, remit wise (as the previous DoSDA has been allowed to cherrypick his own remit as he sees fit) - where does the role of the DoSDA end and that of the DoSDA start?

What defines an activity or an event?

[hr]

Cain

Next

Return to Elections 2006