Home

TheSinner.net

Graeme Hamilton - Nominated for Association Director of Events and Services

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Graeme Hamilton - Nominated for Association Director of Events and Services

Postby g on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:08 am

Just like everyone else, I'll answer your questions and explain my policies after the Candidates' Meeting on Friday. I'm looking forward to hearing from and responding to as many of you as possible!

Graeme Hamilton
Nominated for Association Director of Events and Services
g

Re:

Postby flossy on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:53 pm

My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby g on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting flossy from 19:53, 11th Mar 2006
My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

Hello,

If I don't win, I'm going to finish filling out the application form for a telecommunications software engineering company that I started completing before I decided to run in this election. Then I'll send it off, along with a few more applications, and see if I can get myself into an IT graduate programme in Scotland.

Thanks for your question!

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby Sid on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:16 pm

I feel that this is all a bit pointless since you are uncontested. And I have to admit that I think it's terrible that three of the Sab positions are uncontested. Great for the people running, but terrible for student politics, it really has come to the stage where very few care.

However, it is to my understanding that you have been 'chosen' by Chris Marks to run as he was very keen on having an ents member as the future DoES. Chris Marks has had a very successful term, and clearly you will want to continue this, but what can you do that is different and not just a continuation, because people will get bored after a while.

Also, I feel that Saturday nights in the union are depressing, what can you do to bring the crowd in on a Saturday? I feel that the Students Association has the potential to motivate a student body that has a more community feel. Do you also see this and how do you plan to 'get the students' together so to speak, without always relying on the bop.

And finally, I sometimes feel that the Students union is not far off a glorified youth group hall. How do you plan to modernise the building with your limit resources and also give the place a more professional feel?

Sinead I Drysdale
Sid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:03 am

My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?

(PS I ask as a constitutional pedant, former hack, and impartial outsider now.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby g on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:19 am

Quoting Sid from 21:16, 11th Mar 2006
I feel that this is all a bit pointless since you are uncontested. And I have to admit that I think it's terrible that three of the Sab positions are uncontested. Great for the people running, but terrible for student politics, it really has come to the stage where very few care.

I must admit that I'm very surprised to be running unopposed. My nomination went in first thing on Monday morning and I fully expected others to follow soon after. However, I don't believe that a lack of opposition candidates necessarily indicates apathy amongst the electorate, rather that they are happy with what's been done this year and see no reason to step up and say "I could do much better than that!". People do care about this election, as can be seen from the numerous questions already asked on this board.
However, it is to my understanding that you have been 'chosen' by Chris Marks to run as he was very keen on having an ents member as the future DoES. Chris Marks has had a very successful term, and clearly you will want to continue this, but what can you do that is different and not just a continuation, because people will get bored after a while.

Chris has been very helpful in answering my questions regarding the DoES remit and the Union in general, but he certainly has not shown any special favour towards me. Anything he told me in response to one of my questions is exactly what he would have told any of the other potential candidates, had they asked the same.

You're right about his term though, he has done very well and I want to maintain his level of success next year. Some degree of continuity is no bad thing and I fully intend to continue running "I'm with the band", but will seek to enhance it by collaborating with my colleagues in other universities to bring their student bands here as part of an exchange programme, as well as providing touring opportunities for our own local talent.
Also, I feel that Saturday nights in the union are depressing, what can you do to bring the crowd in on a Saturday? I feel that the Students Association has the potential to motivate a student body that has a more community feel. Do you also see this and how do you plan to 'get the students' together so to speak, without always relying on the bop.

I would suggest that Saturday nights are often far from depressing! Take tonight for example, my flatmates have just returned from King Creosote and say that it was an excellent gig, drawing a large and enthusiastic crowd. Yes, band nights aren't the only thing we can do on a Saturday though, which is why I plan to introduce regular comedy and movie nights.

Getting the students together is something I'm very much in favour of, although it falls more under the remit of the DoSDA than the DoES. However, I would work closely with him to organise and facilitate such events.
And finally, I sometimes feel that the Students union is not far off a glorified youth group hall. How do you plan to modernise the building with your limit resources and also give the place a more professional feel?

As I am sure you are aware, Venue 1 is a multi-purpose venue, used for all sorts of events. If we were to alter it to make it more suited to one particular type of event, the usefulness of the venue for other purposes would be lessened. That is not to say though that I would not look for ways to improve it without affecting its usage. In fact, over the last couple of years, the Ents Crew in collaboration with the Building Supervisor have had some pretty clever ideas. Maybe we'll see some of them realised this year?

Elsewhere in the building, I'd like to install improved interior and exterior signage and also better lighting in the foyer to give it a brighter and more welcoming feel.

Graeme Hamilton

[s]Edited to add full name and position[/s]
g

Re:

Postby g on Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 03:03, 12th Mar 2006
My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

I'm not concerned, but I am certainly surprised. During nomination week, I heard of several people who were considering running for the position. I would prefer to consider myself an active member of the Association, rather than an 'insider', which seems to imply my activities are rather mysterious. To the contrary, I believe that my roles as DJ, member of Ents Crew, pub quiz host, etc, are fairly well known.
Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

I would like to have seen more publicity going out earlier in the semester for this election. It's true that many of the people I spoke to when I was considering whether to run didn't even know that the elections were coming up. However, there was no difficulty in obtaining information about the role of the DoES, since the remit is clearly defined in the Association Laws, which are available from the General Office. Chris Marks was also very helpful in answering my questions. To sum up, the posts have been explained well, the students aren't on the whole apathetic towards the Association, but more could have been done to make the election known to them.
Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?

I intend to work with the other sabs, the HoMMD and the elections committee when elections come round again, to ensure that student awareness and participation is as widespread as possible.

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:55 pm

Being in the union on Friday night, I pointed out a group of high-ranking hacks who had just come from the Rectorial dinner to a friend of mine, commenting "Those guys more or less run the union."
"Really?" my friend asked, elbowing his way through the crowd at the main bar's entrance. "You need to tell them to get a bigger union."

He's got a point. The main bar becomes increasingly intolerably crowded at the end of every night by virtue of the union's late licence. What solutions that would make the union a more hospitable place do you think you could (at least start to) implement in your term as DOES?

[hr]

It has been brought to my attention that certain people refer to me as a legend. Should you meet one of these people, maintain a safe distance and telephone the police. Under no circumstances attempt to deal with them by yourself.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby g on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 19:55, 12th Mar 2006
He's got a point. The main bar becomes increasingly intolerably crowded at the end of every night by virtue of the union's late licence. What solutions that would make the union a more hospitable place do you think you could (at least start to) implement in your term as DOES?

Thanks for your question.

I don't think for a minute that anybody would wish to see the end of the Union's late license, so ways must be found to cope with the increased number of people it brings into the building.

Obviously, increasing the physical space of the Main Bar is improbable, but finding ways of improving efficiency and making better use of the available space is certainly possible. One of my election policies is to introduce bottle bars in the area adjacent to Beaton's, thereby encouraging people to move away from the bar.

On the busiest nights, it's not uncommon for both the Main Bar and Venue 1 to be filled to capacity. That leaves the top floor as the sole remaining space. Venue 2 is used by societies throughout the week, but I'd certainly look into ways of improving the top floor corridor so that people can use it as an alternative seating area to the Main Bar. In the past, the corridor has been equipped with a PA system and lighting rig and I don't see why this can't happen again.

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:08 pm

Many moons ago there was an Express Bar in the Union. If your proposed "bottle bars" are based on a similar principle, they'll probably work well.

However, do you really think people would sit in the top floor corridor when the only bars are downstairs?
Al

Re:

Postby g on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Al from 23:08, 13th Mar 2006
Many moons ago there was an Express Bar in the Union. If your proposed "bottle bars" are based on a similar principle, they'll probably work well.

However, do you really think people would sit in the top floor corridor when the only bars are downstairs?

It may have been before my time, since I don't recognise the name or remember seeing such a thing, but the idea sounds the same as what I'm planning. These bars would serve only bottled drinks, as these can be sold very quickly, possibly requiring exact change. I'd also like to make water more readily available without the need to queue for a long time.

In its current form, the upstairs corridor isn't the most appealing of places, I agree. However, the facilities are already in place for a DJ to play music there and with some creative lighting I'm sure it could be made to look quite nice. Venue 2 has the closest bar, but this would only be available if the room wasn't in use. However, there's no reason why a bottle bar couldn't be placed up there.

I'll definitely continue to investigate the possibilities for the top corridor though, since it could prove to be quite a useful bit of extra space.

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:52 am

That sounds like an excellent idea for me, but, and this is what I'm usually afraid of, is it just a bright idea conceived whilst packed to the elbows in the Main Bar or do you genuinely want to implement such a plan?

In all honesty, do you genuinely see students using the whole Union on Boozedays?

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:02 am

"It may have been before my time, since I don't recognise the name or remember seeing such a thing"

Undoubtedly it was. It was almost before my time, and that is a long time ago.
Al

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting Al from 09:02, 14th Mar 2006
"It may have been before my time, since I don't recognise the name or remember seeing such a thing"

Undoubtedly it was. It was almost before my time, and that is a long time ago.

The last bottle bar to appear in the union, that I am aware of, was on the last day of Freshers Week 2002. The very same freshers week that both g and I were freshers.

So, Mr Hamilton, my question to you. What on earth were you doing in your freshers week to miss the bottle bars and what do you propose to do to ensure that the events hosted by the union in the up coming freshers week don't make the new freshers as boring and apathetic towards union events run that week, and indeed throughout the year, as this years lot were?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby g on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:57 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:52, 14th Mar 2006
That sounds like an excellent idea for me, but, and this is what I'm usually afraid of, is it just a bright idea conceived whilst packed to the elbows in the Main Bar or do you genuinely want to implement such a plan?

In all honesty, do you genuinely see students using the whole Union on Boozedays?

No, I honestly want to see this happen! Everything we need is currently in the Union, or readily available elsewhere.

I do see students using the whole Union, although this is more likely to occur on Friday nights rather than Tuesdays, and only after people have had time to get used to the idea. The top floor corridor could become a "chill out" area, with laid-back music and a subdued mood, similar to many other clubs.

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby g on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 10:22, 14th Mar 2006
The last bottle bar to appear in the union, that I am aware of, was on the last day of Freshers Week 2002. The very same freshers week that both g and I were freshers.

So, Mr Hamilton, my question to you. What on earth were you doing in your freshers week to miss the bottle bars and what do you propose to do to ensure that the events hosted by the union in the up coming freshers week don't make the new freshers as boring and apathetic towards union events run that week, and indeed throughout the year, as this years lot were?

Exactly. We haven't had them for a long time and I want to bring them back permanently.

As for Orientation, I know it's a very difficult job to organise, as I worked with Chris on it this year. Therefore, I know what was successful and what needs to be improved. For example, Sara Cox was a huge success, which I hope to emulate again this coming September.

To increase student involvement in the week, I will work with the DoSDA to ensure that all volunteers are fully informed well ahead of time, so that they may be better equipped to invoke enthusiasm amongst the student body as a whole.

Graeme Hamilton
g

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting g from 15:57, 14th Mar 2006
Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:52, 14th Mar 2006

No, I honestly want to see this happen! Everything we need is currently in the Union, or readily available elsewhere.

I do see students using the whole Union, although this is more likely to occur on Friday nights rather than Tuesdays, and only after people have had time to get used to the idea. The top floor corridor could become a "chill out" area, with laid-back music and a subdued mood, similar to many other clubs.

Yeah - this is a sweet idea you have. We already use that corridor when rocksoc is on it'd be nice to get some music out there too its actually a good place to have a quiet chat.

If you believe you can implement both bottle bars and an upstairs chillout area in an acceptable fashion you have my vote. Well that is of course unless RON comes up with some better policies :P

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Do you not think it slightly risky to be seen to be favouring one candidate for the Association Presidency over the other candidates?
Al

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:59 pm

Hmm - i can't see anything about it on this thread, perhaps it is on another. Who is he favouring and in which way? Perhaps it is risky but surely in a democratic election he has as much right to hold opinions and the right to vote as anyone else?

P.S. Sorry for stealing your thread graeme :P

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:16 pm

Of course, he has the right to vote any way he wishes. However, it is perhaps not wise to so publically back one candidate over another. I am not saying he is favouring anyone. However, on another thread, someone is alleging that the three "Directorial" candidates are in agreement with him in a dispute with one of the other presidential candidates.
Al

Next

Return to Elections 2006