Home

TheSinner.net

Laura Wilson- Nominated for Association Director of Representation

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Laura Wilson- Nominated for Association Director of Representation

Postby Laura on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am

Hello,

My name is Laura Wilson, and I am nominated for the position of Association Director of Representation. I look forward to answering your questions when the campaigning period begins,

Laura

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:44 am

It's obvious from the current incumbent's page (http://www.yourunion.net/main/contact/w ... abbs/dorep) that he is very committed to particular issues concerning students, as well as to the role of DoR in general. What do you consider "your issues" to be?

How do you intend to best use the role of DoR to address student concerns?

--
Harry Giles
Nominated for SRC Environment & Ethics Officer
http://www.yourunion.net/main/represent ... tees/eande
Harry Giles

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:10 pm

Do you think a large number of uncontested positions, especially sabbaticals weakens the Union's mandate for representing the majority of students, and if so, when elected, how would you seek to redress this ballance.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby flossy on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:53 pm

My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

[hr]

Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 am

My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?

(PS I ask as a constitutional pedant, former hack, and impartial outsider now.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:04 am

My question (which I shall ask to all candidates for Directorates):

As a candidate are you concerned that all of the Directors are uncontested and that each is being stood for by what might loosely be termed a Union inisder while six people are standing for President?

Do you think this is indicative of a complete failure on the part of the Association to explain these posts to the student body? Or does it speak of a wider student apathy in respect of the Association?

Whichever you think, what, if anything, do you intend to do about it?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting Harry Giles from 10:44, 11th Mar 2006
It's obvious from the current incumbent's page (http://www.yourunion.net/main/contact/w ... abbs/dorep) that he is very committed to particular issues concerning students, as well as to the role of DoR in general. What do you consider "your issues" to be?

How do you intend to best use the role of DoR to address student concerns?

That page didn't actually take me anywhere (which isn't that surprising for yourunion.net...) but knowing a fair bit about what it is Ben's committed to anyway, I will attempt to answer your question.

The role od DoR covers a number of areas- all of which I am commited to in different ways, and all of which will be my issues-

WELFARE-
Having had more of a welfare background on the SRC than anything else, I would first of all say that getting the Equal Opps and Welfare Committee running decent awareness campaigns on behalf of the SRC and being commited to activity where welfare concerns that really affect students come up is of vital iimportance.

The sabs (and any of the SRC, for that matter) are not there to give advice of a technical nature to students with issues, but we can be a port of call when you're not sure where you're going or you don't feel you're problem was handled sufficiently by those who are qualified. In these situations I would always ensure that students were directed to the right people and that I was able to follow up that students had got the proper advice and information they required- no one should be falling out of the loop if they require help.

The Condom scheme and also the distribution of attack alarms are important to me- this year I have been responsible for trying to ship the diminished stock of alarms out to halls to increase their distribution and make them more widely available, and am currently trying to order more so we can distribute them at events etc- its great that we are able to offer free welfare stuff and would look forward to working witth the EOW committee to organise the schemes and ensure they are efficient.

ACCOMMODATION-
When I decided to stand for this position it was rumoured that the university were gearing up for another set of rent rises that would be way above inflation, and a lot of the publicity I have out there carries this warning. I have however, recently spoken to Derek Watson, the Quaestor and Factor, and as a result of this am no longer sure this is what will happen. There will be rises within inflation, but what student representatives concerned with accommodation will have to begin to look to once we have Derek's written word that there will not be another rent rise fight, is what the university plan for the next hall of residence they will build.

If we want to ensure its not another set of apartments at ridiculous prices that are more geared up for the university to make cash off conferences than to cater for students, then we have to actively get involved in talks regarding what will be built. They're happy to involve us in the process, given that they have made much less money from DRA and New Hall on outside events than they had anticipated and are not unwilling to change focus.

If elected, I'll see what the accommodation committee get particularly excited about, but we'll have a look over the landlord's charter and start making use of internet facilities for advertising private accommodation.

EDUCATION-
This is the area I have had the least involvement in, and am asking the most questions about myself. The most basic thing is enhancement- the bit that we can all understand. It's what our class reps are for, its what the education committee is for, its what TLA is for. If students who want to represent other students are properly trained and communicated with, they will be empowered to do their jobs properly- to critique and suggest new methods, and to comment on new things being done, and to take up direct student concerns about the education experience here.

As regards library stuff, the Member for Library and Learning Resources is the only empty position for this election which the SRC will have to co-opt, but I hope we get someone who actually cares, as it would be nice to have a specific body from the SRC to attend the Library Users group etc- I know the university are very keen at least for suggestions as to what we would like to see happen in that area so they don't fuck it up (which they might just do anyway)

---

As regards using the role to address student concerns, I intend to make sure that the SRC (My real concern as DoR) has its own section in this year's fresher's guide that is comprehensive and lets all students know who we are. I intend to ensure the publicity we have is better and has a more cohesive image, and I hope that through this, people will be aware that they have the opportunity to either get involved or contact us with concerns.

Advertising is only an external thing though, and the SRC will have to work better as a whole to be a working body- candidates have discussed reform, which I could well be up for, and I will be really arsey about people doing nothing. The SRC should not be a place for CV chasers and I will DEMAND that we have functioning and proactive committees and that if people all want to stay on the SRC that they read and understand all the imformation they are given to best represent you, rather than the continuation of ridiculously long meetings because nobody has bothered to work out what is going on. We'll train people, and expect everyone to pull their weight.

Hope that essay touches on what you wanted to hear...

Laura.

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting flossy from 19:53, 11th Mar 2006
My usual question for all potential sabbs: wnat are your plans for next year if you don't win?

Senior Honours English Literature.

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting exnihilo from 03:04, 12th Mar 2006
(PS I ask as a constitutional pedant, former hack, and impartial outsider now.)

'Former'? You do yourself down, old chum. It's a bit like the Mafia. Once in, never out.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 am

Definitely former. Though I did enjoy the applause when I asked a question at the Hecklings a couple of years back. That was nice.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Do you not think it slightly risky for you to be seen to be favouring one candidate for the Association Presidency over the other candidates?
Al

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Al from 17:23, 14th Mar 2006
Do you not think it slightly risky for you to be seen to be favouring one candidate for the Association Presidency over the other candidates?

What? That's absolute nonsense. I'm sorry, but I'm not favouring any one of them and would like to know why you think I am (given that you're not here)

Laura

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 12:10, 11th Mar 2006
Do you think a large number of uncontested positions, especially sabbaticals weakens the Union's mandate for representing the majority of students, and if so, when elected, how would you seek to redress this ballance.

[hr]

I'm not sure how any of us can redress this balance other than doing our jobs correctly and ensuring that officers and members this year will be well trained to do their jobs, are more involved in the process and will thus consider entering the race next year.

I do admit there has been a big problem- the Association hasn't communicated adequately all year, and this is just another instance of the way it seems distanced from students. The people standing are majoritively people who have been around all year to ask what is going on with elections, and so have been somewhat more informed than the student body have. That's not to say that the people aren't able to be very good at the jobs- and I would remind people that RON is always a serious option.

The SRC will seek to communicate better with the students and with the university if I am elected and you don't all decide to RON me.

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:00 am

I said "seen to be favouring" not that you were. However, Mr Byrne has deleted the post in which he suggested you, Lee Kane and Graeme Hamilton were supporting him.

I don't see what the fact that I am not resident in St Andrews has to do with anything. I am still a member of the Students' Association and perfectly entitled to ask questions of those who seek to lead it.
Al

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting Laura from 08:57, 15th Mar 2006
I'm not sure how any of us can redress this balance other than doing our jobs correctly and ensuring that officers and members this year will be well trained to do their jobs, are more involved in the process and will thus consider entering the race next year.

Perhaps the 'problem' of a low number of candidates for these jobs stems from the fact that the previos year's Association body have functioned well and met their targets, had good years etc...

Thus, people are quite content to let the Union go on as it does witohut feeling the need to involve themselves, or to 'make a difference'.

Surely then this low number of candidates is a ringing endorsement of the Association's practice.

After all, there would be more candidates putting themselves forward if there were a perceived problem with how the association is run and people wanted to 'get things done right.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting Al from 09:00, 15th Mar 2006
I said "seen to be favouring" not that you were. However, Mr Byrne has deleted the post in which he suggested you, Lee Kane and Graeme Hamilton were supporting him.

I don't see what the fact that I am not resident in St Andrews has to do with anything. I am still a member of the Students' Association and perfectly entitled to ask questions of those who seek to lead it.

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't comment on issues or question us because you're not here, more that you seemed to know something that I didn't about who I was supporting, which seemed impossible since you weren't here to see it.

I didn't know Preston had made that suggestion on another thread- but it isn't the case. I know all the candidates- Anders came to speak to me about running and we had a chat (quite a while back) I know Brendan well, Seth is one of my favourite people, I helped Preston paint his banner because he was struggling with it, and offered to help Tom do his as well. My main concern is promoting the election, and to be honest- I have no idea what order I will vote for them in. I'm sorry if I seemed a bit confrontational, but I'm certainly not supporting any one candidate.

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby Rose Chambord on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting Laura from 08:57, 15th Mar 2006

I do admit there has been a big problem- the Association hasn't communicated adequately all year, and this is just another instance of the way it seems distanced from students. The people standing are majoritively people who have been around all year to ask what is going on with elections, and so have been somewhat more informed than the student body have. That's not to say that the people aren't able to be very good at the jobs- and I would remind people that RON is always a serious option.

It would seem to me that the people who are running for election are primarily people who have been involved in the union, many or whom have served in elected positions before. Why should anyone believe that the practices of union insiders are going to change simply because you are going to be elected?

Every year people complain the the union doesn't do enough to advertise the src and ssc and how to get involved and elections, and every year the same small group of people know about the election, seek election and continue the cycle of keeping the rest of the student body in the dark.

Why should we believe that you are going to do the job of DOR any differently they the current holder of that position, especially as you have quite a close relationship with him?

One might argue that the union's greatest problem at the moment is nepotism!

[hr]

"because it's dull, you twit, it'll hurt more!"
"because it's dull, you twit, it'll hurt more!"
Rose Chambord

Re:

Postby Laura on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Rose Chambord from 19:11, 15th Mar 2006

It would seem to me that the people who are running for election are primarily people who have been involved in the union, many or whom have served in elected positions before. Why should anyone believe that the practices of union insiders are going to change simply because you are going to be elected?

Yes- many people standing in this election have been involved in the association for sometime, but I would remind you that the amount of people currently sitting on committees is huge, and the people running here are just a small percentage of that. I can't speak for others, but I think I am one of the few who is very active and does actively encourage communication. Not all 'insiders' have contributed to the few things that fail in the union. As I have pledged with this campaign, I will make the SRC communicate better with the student body and the university, and I will ensure that people work hard to do what they have promised to do, and what the remits expect them to do.

Every year people complain the the union doesn't do enough to advertise the src and ssc and how to get involved and elections, and every year the same small group of people know about the election, seek election and continue the cycle of keeping the rest of the student body in the dark.

I am not a member of the Election Officers Committee- they are the people who organise the elections, and people who want to stand for positions, no matter how involved they are in the association, are not permitted to get involved with the running of elections for obvious reasons. Maybe it could be argued that the student body have been kept in the dark- but I wasn't one of the people responsible for that, as I don't sit on the committee that organises this stuff. If I do in the future, I would hope to bring an enhanced level of organisation and communication to it. I also think that everyone gets involved somehow in these things, and although I'm not defending the current situation, I remember actively seeking information in my first year and reading posters and e-mails.

Why should we believe that you are going to do the job of DOR any differently they the current holder of that position, especially as you have quite a close relationship with him?

Sigh. For a start, there have been many things that Ben has done and is able to do that I respect greatly and could only hope to be decent at. Within all of this slagging about the association what has got lost is that quite often things are achieved or things are managed by people extremely well- not all of it is crap, and like most things there is good and there is bad. I think if you spoke to most students who have come across Ben in his official capacity, they will tell you he is often extremely good at what he does.

Having said that, Ben and I are very different people with very different strengths who often have disagreement about what happens on the SRC, and have even had heated arguments in meetings on issues and also on the matter of practice and communication.

If you've ever been in a relationship, I am sure you will realise that you and your significant other do not agree on everything, and as I said- if anyone has ever come across myself and Ben working together they will know we do not always see eye to eye. All of this taken into account, what I do with someone behind closed doors is really not an issue (or shouldn't be) and if you're accusing me of being that easily influenced by the man in my life, then you don't know me at all!

I am to communicate better, and to make things function better. I'm sorry that a newcomer didn't oppose me to give you a better choice- but I can't help that. I wanted to stand to make things better, and if you elect me, I will promise to work hard to do that.

[hr]

Laura

Return to Elections 2006