Home

TheSinner.net

Rachael Whitbread: nominated for SSC Debates Officer

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Rachael Whitbread: nominated for SSC Debates Officer

Postby toff-toff on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Please post any questions regarding my campaign etc. below, and I'll be sure to answer them once Friday night's meeting has ended.

Best, Rachael

Nominated for SSC Debates Officer
toff-toff

Re:

Postby Louise Hallman on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:56 am

The position of SSC Debates Officer (UDS President) is the most heavily contested position (excluding that of Association President) in this diet of elections. What do you think sets you apart from the rest of the competition? How do you think the UDS will benefit with you as Convenor?

[s]this question will be asked of all candidates[/s]

Louise Hallman
Nominated for SSC Member Societies Grants
Louise Hallman
SSC Member Societies Grants
McIntosh Hall Senior Student
Louise Hallman

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Thanks for your question Louise.

I have been an active member of the UDS for as long as I've been a student here (eighteen months), and since then I've been involved in every aspect of the Society's running: I've spoken several times in Lower Parliament Hall in formal debates, I've helped at the various Schools competitions that we help to run, and I've been an active member of the Inter-'Varsity competetive squad, attending the World and European Championships on behalf of the University and Scotland. My involvement in all of these areas means that I have strong links with all aspects of the Society, and also strong links with other Societies around the country and internationally. As Convenor, I would use these links to ensure the smoothe running of the Society. In addition, elements that I have already brought to the Society as a member of the Board of Ten, for example the amount of sponsorship that I've raised, would also be expanded upon.

Key areas that I have contributed to the UDS in the previous eighteen months are:

1) the creation of an executive sponsorship package, with the opportunity to sponsor individual speakers, teams, judges or even the entire squad.

2) raised £1000 plus of sponsorship for the European Debating Competition this semester alone

3) represented the University at the SSDC Committee(Scottish Students Debating Council)

4) by Easter I will have attended two Euros competitions in addition to the 2006 Worlds Tournament, IVs in Cork, Dublin and all over the UK

5) liased with representatives of other debating unions in order to help arrange a Scotland-wide training day in Glasgow

6) gained Grade 2 international judging status

7) forged links with academic schools and the Bute Medical school, with a view to developing an academic speaking and oratory training programme to directlty benefit the University as a whole and increase access to the UDS

8) liased with other University debating unions with a view to starting a Scotland-wide training scheme for debates, directly benefiting not only St Andrews UDS, but also raising the standard of debating throughout Scotland, which will also have clear benefits for the Society here.

In addition, I also represent Second Year History students on the Student Staff Council, showing that I have experience working within the format of a wider organisation or committee

My contacts within other university debating societies mean that I can call upon some of the world's best debaters to come and lead training programmes or to come and speak in LPH, providing a direct benefit to the UDS. In addition, links that I have within the political world, such as at Westminster, would help to ensure that the UDS benefitted from some high-quality, professional LPH speakers.

I hope this answers the question, if there are any other questions you would like to raise then please do get in touch!

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:14 pm

What, if anything, would you do to maintain or improve communication and relations with alumni?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Thanks for the question exnihilo.

Alumni relations have always been contentious within the UDS, and this situation has not changed. I feel it is time for a change of strategy in terms of links with our Alumni. I would implement a two-pronged strategy in regard to this:

1) Communications:

I have already been tackling the issue of communicating with Alumni of the UDS. The main problem in the past has been simply tracing these individuals' contact details, as the University can not give us these directly. In response to this issue, I have visited the Development Office within the university, and aksed them to forward information to all Alumni related in any way to the UDS, in order to inform them of our current flourishing status, and request that they get in contact with us. Once they have done this, we obviously then have their contact details, and can then look to sending out an Alumni-specific linked email on a monthly basis under the auspicies of the Serjeant-at-Arms.

Alumni would continue to be invited back to attend our annual Parliamentary debate and post-debate dinner, a process facilitated if we actually have these names and contact details, which my links via the Development Office will provide.

2) Relations:

However, as well as addressing our past Alumni, we also need to look at provision for our recent and future Alumni. To this end, and also to address our funding issues, I would introduce the following system. A seperate accout for the UDS would be created, entitled 'Friends of the UDS'. All present students and Alumni would be invited to voluntarily contribute to this account, via a standing-order, a small amount of money annually, in the region of £10. This would not only provide the opportunity for current Alumni to donate to the Society, but also lay the foundations for future Alumni to retain their links with the UDS.

I have already raised this idea with the Devlopment Office, and they are fully in support of the proposal.

The money that these individuals donate directly into the 'Friends of the UDS' account would be used to fund solely LPH debates. These are the events that the entire Society participates in, and the events that provide the main public face of the Society. Alumni could even return to LPH debates to see where they money was being spent!

I hope that answers your question exnihilo, if you have any more issues that you would like to raise please do get in touch!

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby A66 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Same question for all the debates people.

I am not intrested in debating, sorry just isn't me. Why should I vote for you out of the list of names on the ballot?
A66

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 am

Thanks for the question A66.

It is certainly not unusual for students with abslutely no interest in debating to
nevertheless vote in the SSC elections. What is important for these students is that ideally they want to elect a candidate who still offers them something beneficial.

One of the main problems at the moment within the UDS training scheme is that training is focused on competitive debating skills and little else. This is due to two factors, firstly the neglect of the Public Speaking program in recent years, and secondly the lack of student interest in public speaking training events that have been organised.

However, this is changing. As Chief Whip in charge of training, I have been working on developing a new Public Speaking training program that examines public speaking from a far more accessible angle, looking at everything from professional-style oratorical skill to preparing for a tutorial presentation. This program is
almost ready to begin, and would be introduced from the beginning of the academic year 2006-07. The idea is that Public Speaking training would be divided into blocks of two or three weekly sessions. These blocks would follow specific elements of public speaking, for example a block on historical speeches, a block on academic presentations, and a block on oratorical devices and professional speech-writing. Students could attend the blocks that interested them, offering direct benefits to all students at the unversity, and not just those wtih an interest or skill in debating specifically.

You're not interested in debating, however that's why it's particularly important that you choose a candidate that offers something more than the regular run-of-the-mill 'high quality speakers' and 'intersting motions'. For example, if you needed help with an academic presentation, wouldn't you want a society that you could approach for training in specifically academic presentations? Under my proposals, the Debating Society doesn't limit itself solely to debating. A range of public speaking programs would be offered to all students, focusing on things such as academic presentations and general oratory skill. Students would be free to pick and choose the sessions that they wished to attend.

The structure for these sessions is already in place, and there is already a great deal of interest from within the university concerning the proposal. For example, I have already been approached by individuals from the Bute Medical School looking to set up public speaking training sessions specifically aimed at medics and scientists here in St Andrews.

Using my links with and contacts at other universities, these training sessions would be run by not only the best and most experienced speakers here in St Andrews, but I could also call upon highly skilled coaches from other universities to visit and offer sessions. For example, Glasgow University is home to some of the best public speakers in the UK, who are not only incredibly able to run these training sessions, but are also willing to do so.

As you can see, voting for an SSC Debates Officer needn't be just about choosing a candidate solely for debates. Even students with no interest in the society can make their choice based on what a candidate offers all students, regardless of their interest in debating. The UDS is a Student Service, so it is my belief that it should offer services in all types of oratory skill to the entire student population, may their interests be in competetive debating or simply brushing up on general presentation skills.

Any more queries that you have A66, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby little headache on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:40 am

I'm asking this of all SSC Debates candidates:

If you are not elected, will you stand for a position on Board of Ten? If so, which one, why and how will you attempt to implement the improvements you promised in your campaign for President?
little headache

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 pm

As the position of SSC Debates Officer is quite contested, and there were many questions on Tuesday night, I have saved my question for use on here. Of course, same question will be asked of all candidates. Therefore...

As the head of you subcommittee you will be the expert on that area, in your case Debates. However, you will also be charged with representing your subcommittee to the SSC and indeed the SSC to your subcommittee. How do you think you will manage with this dual, or indeed tripple, role?

Lee Kane
Nominated for Association Director Of Student Development and Activities
LK Today

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks for the question 'little headache'.

If I was not elected on Friday, I would like to stand for a position on the Board, as I feel that I have a lot to offer the society and would enjoy maintaining an administrative role within the Board of Ten. As to which position I would stand for, I am as yet undecided, however I think I could work well in both the Chief Whip (my current role) and the Championship Secretary positions.

Any other questions / comments, please do get in touch!

Rachael Whitbread
nominated for SSC Debates Officer
toff-toff

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:17 am

Thanks for the question Lee.

I really see the position of the SSC Debates Officer as having a two-pronged role, between that of President/Convenor of the UDS, and also that of debates representative on the SSC.

1. Role of President / Convenor

One of the key tasks for the President / Convenor is to ensure high-quality speakers in Lower Parliament Hall, a role that I believe my links with politicians and high-quality professional speakers would provide for successfully. A second key area is ensuring high-quality, interesting and popular motions for Lower Parliament Hall that will attract optimum student interest. Again, my policies concerning liasing with other societies and working with them to ensure student support for motions in LPH, combined with my dedication to finding the issues that students really want to hear about, would really provide for this aspect of the Debates Officer's role. Thirdly, it is the duty of the President / Convenor to chair debates in LPH, and to ensure the maintenance of good order. My tough stance to disrupters, and my ability to competently chair debates that I've gleaned from the Schools and IV circuits, has meant that again I feel I can suit this role well.

2. Role of SSC Debates Officer

I currently represent the University of St Andrews on the Scottish Students Debating Council (SSDC), which regulates the whole system of debating in Scotland. I therefore feel I have the specific experience of representing the needs of the St Andrews UDS within the framework of a much larger organisation, and making sure that St Andrews debating needs are represented. I also have the experience of being the second year History representative on the Department Council, which means that I have experience of representing a large number of students, their views and concerns, to a larger committee or organisation. I therefore see myself as well-qualified to represent UDS interests and to represent debates and public speaking as a whole within the SSC.

In terms of representing the SSC to the Board of Ten, I would take the role of chairing Board meetings very seriously, and feel that my experience chairing judging panels and the like has meant that I have the experience neccessary to fulfil this role well. In addition, I am vey much in favour of encouraging an SSC presence within meetings of the Board of Ten, for example inviting officers of the SSC to attend Board meetings. By encouraging these links, the UDS not only boosts its profile on the SSC and within the university as a whole, but it also means that the Board of Ten is seen as taking its role within the SSC, as a Student Service, as a serious one that it is dedicated to uphold.

I hope that answers your question Lee, please do get in touch if there is anything else you'd like to raise!

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby Sally on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:12 pm

If you could hold a debate on anything and invite any 6 speakers (doesn’t have to be realistic, just be realistic to the extent that they’re alive) what would you do?

Realistically, if you are elected, what debates could we expect to see from the Union Debating Society? How would you select motions and what are your ideas about the debates you would put on in LPH? Which speakers would you like to invite? How can LPH appeal to the wider student community?

Would you hold a debate or event on a weekly basis, as this year there have been weeks where nothing has happened. If LPH is unavailable on a Wednesday night when a debate is planned, what would you do as an alternative?
Sally

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the questions Sally! I will try and answer them all!

1. What debate would I have and who would speak in it?

In terms of an unrealistic, and yet potentially thouroughly enjoyable debate, I would love to hold a parliamentary-style debate with the main parties defending their stances on key political issues, such as tuition fees. Ideally this debate would feature guest speakers from each political party, and if I'm allowed to be unrealistic I may as well have the leaders of each party, and Education Ministers and Shadow Ministers. In addition, the heads of the student political bodies from here in St Andrews would also feature in this debate, providing a student political voice as well as a professional one.

On a serious note however, I would like to see motions that fill the house every single week. At the end of the day, it's not what I want, I'm there to represent the students' views, and am totally open to suggestions from societies, academic departments, and from individuals.

In terms of speakers, I have high hopes that we will be able to attract politicians from the Scottish Parliament as well as from Westminster. I genuinely believe we have the ability to attract some of the world's best professional speaking talent. Good preparation will help to ensure that LPH plays host to the most informative, most entertaining speakers possible.

2. What debates would we have in LPH if I were elected?

This issue would obviously have to be discussed with my Board of Ten should I be elected. However, I believe that the university and students at large should have a greater say in how motions are decided in the house. To this end, I would advertise an open meeting of the Board before the summer vacation, in order to decide motions that students really want to hear. Although obviously all meeting of Board are open to anyone wishing to attend, this fact is rarely sufficiently advertised. This meeting regarding motions would be extensively advertised as a forum to discuss the issues that students would like to see, and I would hope that representatives from multiple student societies as well as academic schools, and of course interested individuals, would take this oppportunity to come along and have their say.

3. How would I select my motions?

Via an open forum and by conversing with the Board of Ten (please see above).

4. Which speakers would I like to invite?

One of the key benefits of liasing with departments and societies in deciding motions, is that often these groups have links with experts in the field, ensuring quality debaters would be guaranteed in each LPH debate.

I also have extensive links with political and academic figures, as well as some of the best professional speakers and world-class debaters from around the world.

Finally, I would like to encourage a policy of having one student debater in each LPH debate. These speakers would predominantly be those who had participated in the new training scheme that I would introduce to run alongside IV debates training: this new scheme would focus solely on LPH, formal, oratorical debating, providing these skills for students who wish to gain them. The benefits of having a student in each debate is that it firstly offers a rallying-point for the students in the house, and secondly,
it clearly demonstrates that students are more than able to debate intensive, topical motions alongside professional experts.

5. How can LPH appeal to the wider student community?

Motions and speakers are key ways to attract larger audiences, and the policies outlined above would go a long way towards this.

In addition, increasing advertising for debates, publishing motions and meetings of the house on an updated website, and increasing e-mail links to students would not hurt in increasing the UDS's publicity scheme.

6. Would I hold a debate or event on a weekly basis?

Absolutely. Wherever possible I would actively seek to provide a debate or event evey week. There are of course constraints on this (exams for example). However, during normal term-time there is no reason why an event cannot be held on a regular, weekly basis.

7. If LPH was unavailable, what would I do?

Firstly, there is more than one venue in St Andrews capable of holding debates. If LPH really was completely unavailable, I would seek out a different venue. There is also the possibility of holding our popular pub debates on a termly basis, widening access and presenting the more relaxed face of the society to the university at large.

The most important way of avoiding the situation of no LPH in any particular week, however, is ensuring that LPH is booked well in advance, and liasing with the University to prevent the last-minute booking issues that we hae had this past year.

I hope that answers all your questions Sally, if you have any more please do get in touch!

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the questions Sally! I will try and answer them all!

1. What debate would I have and who would speak in it?

In terms of an unrealistic, and yet potentially thouroughly enjoyable debate, I would love to hold a parliamentary-style debate with the main parties defending their stances on key political issues, such as tuition fees. Ideally this debate would feature guest speakers from each political party, and if I'm allowed to be unrealistic I may as well have the leaders of each party, and Education Ministers and Shadow Ministers. In addition, the heads of the student political bodies from here in St Andrews would also feature in this debate, providing a student political voice as well as a professional one.

On a serious note however, I would like to see motions that fill the house every single week. At the end of the day, it's not what I want, I'm there to represent the students' views, and am totally open to suggestions from societies, academic departments, and from individuals.

In terms of speakers, I have high hopes that we will be able to attract politicians from the Scottish Parliament as well as from Westminster. I genuinely believe we have the ability to attract some of the world's best professional speaking talent. Good preparation will help to ensure that LPH plays host to the most informative, most entertaining speakers possible.

2. What debates would we have in LPH if I were elected?

This issue would obviously have to be discussed with my Board of Ten should I be elected. However, I believe that the university and students at large should have a greater say in how motions are decided in the house. To this end, I would advertise an open meeting of the Board before the summer vacation, in order to decide motions that students really want to hear. Although obviously all meeting of Board are open to anyone wishing to attend, this fact is rarely sufficiently advertised. This meeting regarding motions would be extensively advertised as a forum to discuss the issues that students would like to see, and I would hope that representatives from multiple student societies as well as academic schools, and of course interested individuals, would take this oppportunity to come along and have their say.

3. How would I select my motions?

Via an open forum and by conversing with the Board of Ten (please see above).

4. Which speakers would I like to invite?

One of the key benefits of liasing with departments and societies in deciding motions, is that often these groups have links with experts in the field, ensuring quality debaters would be guaranteed in each LPH debate.

I also have extensive links with political and academic figures, as well as some of the best professional speakers and world-class debaters from around the world.

Finally, I would like to encourage a policy of having one student debater in each LPH debate. These speakers would predominantly be those who had participated in the new training scheme that I would introduce to run alongside IV debates training: this new scheme would focus solely on LPH, formal, oratorical debating, providing these skills for students who wish to gain them. The benefits of having a student in each debate is that it firstly offers a rallying-point for the students in the house, and secondly,
it clearly demonstrates that students are more than able to debate intensive, topical motions alongside professional experts.

5. How can LPH appeal to the wider student community?

Motions and speakers are key ways to attract larger audiences, and the policies outlined above would go a long way towards this.

In addition, increasing advertising for debates, publishing motions and meetings of the house on an updated website, and increasing e-mail links to students would not hurt in increasing the UDS's publicity scheme.

6. Would I hold a debate or event on a weekly basis?

Absolutely. Wherever possible I would actively seek to provide a debate or event evey week. There are of course constraints on this (exams for example). However, during normal term-time there is no reason why an event cannot be held on a regular, weekly basis.

7. If LPH was unavailable, what would I do?

Firstly, there is more than one venue in St Andrews capable of holding debates. If LPH really was completely unavailable, I would seek out a different venue. There is also the possibility of holding our popular pub debates on a termly basis, widening access and presenting the more relaxed face of the society to the university at large.

The most important way of avoiding the situation of no LPH in any particular week, however, is ensuring that LPH is booked well in advance, and liasing with the University to prevent the last-minute booking issues that we hae had this past year.

I hope that answers all your questions Sally, if you have any more please do get in touch!

Rachael Whitbread
toff-toff

Re:

Postby LK Today on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Well done Rachel. I look forward to working with you next year!

Lee Kane
DoSDA Elect

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102636
LK Today

Return to Elections 2006