Home

TheSinner.net

Candidate List for Election

For discussions of elections only please.

Candidates must use a Sinner account which features their full name. No unregistered posts will be allowed.

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:32 pm

The 'good of democracy'???

Sounds distinctly like your democratic model is that only those 'in the know' should be consulted when it comes to elections. Surely the central point on this thread is that Union politics has failed because instead of representing 7000 students it represents only the close-knit community of hacks and groupies.

Finally, how do you, cain, know who is and who is not interested in association elections?

If you're playing devil's advocate then you've succeeded in stirring debate, but if this is genuinely your opinion I'm extremely thankful that the vast majority of others disagree with you.

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:41 pm

BA, if you ever meet Cain, you will realise he likes to take the mickey! That wasn't a serious post from him!
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:09 pm

Curse you and your all-pervasive knowledge, loony!

[hr]

http://www.race2paris.co.uk
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting puzzled from 15:45, 13th Mar 2006
The number of posts need to be cut - perhaps to 12, with 2 reps per year and the 4 sabbs.

Reps per year will not work, as there are lots of students who do-not fit into those patters (direct entry 2nd year, five year courses, evening degrees, post-grads, etc. ). It would surely be a much better idea to have people based on the areas that the SRC operates in? I mean, have people for education, Environment & Ethics, etc.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:38 pm

Good lord, portfolios? Didn't we have those?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:01 pm

Indeed. But I hear that the current system is more "representative".
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Harry Giles on Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Quoting Ben Reilly from 18:01, 18th Mar 2006
Indeed. But I hear that the current system is more "representative".

Who's for an overhaul!
Harry Giles

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Bonnie on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:16 pm

STOP TRYING TO REJIG THE SRC AND START DOING YOUR BLOODY JOB!!!!

That's not an attack on anyone in particular. I just think that if anyone gets het up over the SRC's structure more than they are concerned over their remits, I think I might go apeshit.
It really pisses me off when SRC people talk about restructuring when there's bloody education, welfare and equal opportunitites, environment and ethics, accommodation, etc to talk about. These are SO MUCH MORE important. No wonder Collegegae doesn't listen to a word SRC says-- can you blame them when we look like a bunch of children in an unruly playpen instead of mature adults resarching our areas of interest and putting together rational arguments for our cases?

Get to work on your job and stop fluffing about.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Bonnie, I am not going to open up that can of worms again, but is the SRC not failing in its job at a far more fundamental level if it is not capable of representing the views of the student body?

By your argument, we could just join the NUS and focus on local issues, as that is far more important than esoteric arguments about representation.
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:07 pm

I'm not on the SRC, haven't been in some time, and was in a non-voting capacity last time I was. But I do understand what the important issues are, and I don't think it is a waste of time to talk about the structure. We've tinkered with it on and off since the formation of the Association, and still it's not right. It's only been really and completely overhauled once in that time period, the rest has been fiddling. Perhaps it really is time for a major restructuring - but that shouldn't and needn't get in the way of the actual work of the SRC. It's something that can be considered quietly by the constitution geeks and then presented as a finished motion for voting. What you should not do, as has happened in the past, is try to rewrite the Constitution at SRC, it's not workable,
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:11 pm

This restructuring should happen in the dead of night, with the President's Hit Squads boting down the doors of SRC members and abducting them in the middle of the night.

Only then can the Association's revolution begin!

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:53 pm

So is that the dead of the middle of the night? Or the middle of the dead of the night? Or the middle of the night of the dead?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting Cain from 20:11, 19th Mar 2006
This restructuring should happen in the dead of night, with the President's Hit Squads boting down the doors of SRC members and abducting them in the middle of the night.

Only then can the Association's revolution begin!

Maybe we can combine said revolution with the Assassins game recently suggested!

[hr]

"Listen to DrAlex."-Polli
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 21:53, 19th Mar 2006
So is that the dead of the middle of the night? Or the middle of the dead of the night? Or the middle of the night of the dead?

quite. and don't ask me how you're meant to bote a door down.

[hr]

Cain

Previous

Return to Elections 2006