Home

TheSinner.net

Cupar

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Cupar

Postby little em on Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 am

Hi people I am coming to st andrews in august. I have applied for a job at stratheden hospital in Cupar for extra cash. I have been told it's about 11 miles away and a local bus runs to it. is it a total nightmare to get to, or will it be fairly easy to get there? I don't drive by the way.
Many thanks if you can help
xxxx
little em

Re:

Postby The Yettoner on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:21 am

By my reckoning you won't have a massive amount of time for a job, let alone in Cupar. Or perhaps I just work too hard.

[hr]

"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
The Yettoner

Re:

Postby eb on Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:36 pm

hi

firstly, well done for getting a a job! they are difficult to find in st a!

cupar is not that far and buses will run regularly - pick up a timetable from the bus station (in centre of town) when you arrive

( i even think the bus may go directly to the hospital - checkout the stagecoach website or something like that- that should give you a bit of an idea on times , prices etc)

Quoting little em from 10:03, 19th Jul 2005
Hi people I am coming to st andrews in august. I have applied for a job at stratheden hospital in Cupar for extra cash. I have been told it's about 11 miles away and a local bus runs to it. is it a total nightmare to get to, or will it be fairly easy to get there? I don't drive by the way.
Many thanks if you can help
xxxx
eb

Re:

Postby Caroline on Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:15 pm

People in st a's seem to have a wide range of impressions of the local employment market! In my experience jobs are relatively easy to come by and a few hours a week does NOT ( as much as people try and kid themselves) affect studies if your time is managed properly. I don't think that I could be here if I didn't have a job, and my grades have never suffered. I only work on a Saturday during the semester (more during holidays) and I seriously doubt that those without a job spend all of there free time with their head in a book. And guess what...I still have a life.

As far as Cupar goes, there is a regular bus service and I'm pretty sure that there is a direct service to the hospital so well done for being proactive and getting sorted!
Caroline

Re:

Postby little em xxx on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:56 pm

thanks people i have checked out the bus timetables and stuff online and it looks fairly promising.
xxxx
cheers guys
little em xxx

Consider something less demanding

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

The buses are regular to cupar but the hospital where you will be working is not exactly in cupar centre where the buses run. Also I hate to be mean but unless you have a heart of steal and are not easily offended I would recommend a job in a cafe or shop while a student in St.Andrews. Although it is a small town, if you are organised, which you sound, there are plenty of jobs.I once went on a voluntary trip to Stratheden to speak to patients and there are many people there who have MAJOR mental health problems. It was altogether way too much for me to handle and was rather depressing. However, if you are one of these miracle people who can handle this, well, good luck!

all set (thanks guys)

Postby little em xxx on Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:03 pm

thanks for the concern, but I am a fully qualified psychy nurse with good experience in some difficult places.

I am sorry you had a bad experience I hope it doesn't deter you from speaking to my poorly folks again they are just people and definately better to work with than the folks from the cafe.

I am all set up now guys thanks very much for all of your support and I can't believe I am saying this finally but SEE YOU TOMORROW!!!! OOOH IT'S SO EXCITING!
xxx
little em xxx

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:11 pm

hey unregisterd user little!!!
Are you working in Stratheden Hospital over the Summer as I am too??? Which ward are you in???

Return to New Students! First Years!