Home

TheSinner.net

What to bring?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Interesting question. I would take some Assam, some Ceylon, a good Darjeeling, a couple of green teas and some Roobios.
That should see you through Freshers Week until you find the tea shop on Greyfriars Gardens.

Actually, bring alcohol and cups. On your first night invite everyone you've seen so far to come around and get plastered, and you'll get lots of friends before you know it.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby terry towelling on Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:34 am

If there are picture rails, then why not buy a really big sheet of wood, and hang that from the rail, thus providing an excellent place for displaying posters!
terry towelling

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 am

Do I need a duvet cover?

Re:

Postby bramble on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Quoting from 21:39, 31st Aug 2005
Do I need a duvet cover?

You get linen provided for you so no, its better to maybe bring a fleece blanket or throw to put over the top if you want your room to look pretty/be warmer at night

[hr]

And i still hold your hand in mine when im asleep
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Helen on Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:59 am

You can take your own bed covers if you like though, I will be to personalise my room that bit more.
Helen

Re:

Postby paw paw on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:12 pm

Make sure you have gloves and a scarf as it can be quite cold if your walking home from lectures/labs/tutorials after 5pm, escpecially in November.
paw paw

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:43 pm

and how the HELL would you know?

she means walking back from the pub at half 2 in the morning!
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Quoting Helen from 11:52, 2nd Sep 2005
You can take your own bed covers if you like though, I will be to personalise my room that bit more.

If you take your own duvet cover, sheets etc then you have to wash them yourself too. Although personally I preferred to do this as I could use my own washing powder, and it made them smell nicer. Bramble's idea of a blanket or throw is good though - extra warmth is always a good idea! Bring a hot water bottle too!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Poridge on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 pm

If you live outside the UK bring as many cigs as possible over with you coz they cost £4.50 to £5 ($9) for twenty over here. Either smoke them yourself or trade them with others.
Poridge

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 pm

What is provided in the kitchens? What utensils do I need to bring?

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:26 pm

In catered halls there is usually a toaster, a microwave, a fridge and a hob. It's handy to have a few plates, mugs, some cutlery and a tea towel. And a pan too if u plan to cook at weekends. I'd recommend keeping these things in your room as I had a couple of things taken.
Nobody ever seems to bring enough coat hangers. Anything which adds to warmth- fleeces, jumpers, mittens(can be worn while typing/writing) and scarves are important. It's not tooo bad most of the time but now and again it gets really cold- specially in the older halls with single glazing.
Remember washing powder too. :-)
Marie55

Re:

Postby Miss on Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:07 am

Hi, Im a first year starting soon. I was just wondering what sort of dress is appropriate for the ball, as there are no photos anywhere...
Miss

Re:

Postby Half Ten on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:21 am

Don't bring any STDs with you

[hr]

"Give me 'sex on the beach' with a 'white russian' please"
"Give me 'sex on the beach' with a 'white russian' please"
Half Ten

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:35 am

Do I need a duvet cover?

In theory, no, unless you don't mind sleeping next to other people's dried in blood, semen, vomit, urine and god knows what...

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby physicist on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:49 pm

Quoting Miss from 10:52, 8th Sep 2005
Hi, Im a first year starting soon. I was just wondering what sort of dress is appropriate for the ball, as there are no photos anywhere...

Try http://images.google.co.uk and type in site:www.st-andrews.ac.uk Ball Photo, and take your pick of the images that are found.
physicist

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 11:35, 10th Sep 2005
Do I need a duvet cover?

In theory, no, unless you don't mind sleeping next to other people's dried in blood, semen, vomit, urine and god knows what...

Nice ... I thought we paid to have them washed.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Will i have to bring my own iron and ironing board? (I'll Be in New Hall)

Re:

Postby alastair05 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Quoting from 12:09, 26th Aug 2005
halloween costume if you have one. finding/buying one up here is a nightmare

I'm just finding some old glasses, putting on my usual clothes and going as 'Clark Kent'. lol
alastair05

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Now I have a question - can girls appear in a tux? I mean, would you let me in or throw bricks at me? *lol*

Re:

Postby emzn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:22 pm

>Ironing board Q: no you won't have to bring anything like that - it's provided (cuboard in kitchen)

>Duvet: buy it once you get here....I would however invest in some decent pillows - the ones in halls are as flat as a pancake!

>Waterproof boots and coat...trust me fashion won't bother you when you encounter the horizontal sleet.

>Collapsible laundry basket

>hangers

>photos of friends and family to put up in your room

>a vase....you'll end up buying flowers to lighten up your room

>clothes drying rack...prob easier to buy it from Mica (store on S. Street) once you get here

>ear plugs

>white soled trainers for the sports centre

>alarm clock!

>some fancy-dress costumes ie. pirate, fairy, cowboy etc... it's a right pain to traipse over to Dundee every time you need a plastic sword. But if indoubt just bring sticky-back-plasic and sellotape!

From a person who actually broke the suspension of my parents car hauling loads of stuff to uni....if you can buy it here - do so.
emzn

PreviousNext

Return to New Students! First Years!