Home

TheSinner.net

John Burnet Hall

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

John Burnet Hall

Postby Mike on Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi, just found out I'll be staying in John Burnet Hall next year.

I'll be in room 3.15 - does anyone know what it's like?

Also interested peoples general opinion of the hall

Thanks, Mike
Mike

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:50 am

Hi Mike,

I just wrote out this big long post about John Burnet, and then I think I went ahead and deleted it by accident. Whoops. So I'll try again.

First off, congrats on getting put in John Burnet, it's an awesome place to live. I'm coming back for my third year, and I can't wait to get back. It's a small hall, about 130 people, so you'll get to know pretty much everyone. The actual building itself is pretty decent, and it's in a good location, quite close to the town centre and the beach. The food's decent most of the time, and even when it isn't mealtime chat more than makes up for it. There's a library with a bunch of computers, a tv room with a dvd player and video games, a lounge with a pool table and an awesome sweetie shop where you can get snacks.

You'll be living on the 3rd floor, which is a great place to be - the scene of many parties over the years, including a huge bash last year that included a bathtub of Atholl punch. On the flip side though it's far away from the busy parts of hall, so you'll get peace and quiet when you need it. If memory serves me, you've got a pretty standard double room, that's pretty roomy. I think you face east, so you'll get great morning light.

The best thing about Atholl though, by far, is the people who live there. It's a pretty sweet place, with tons of parties and traditions to keep everything banterous. The people are very friendly, and always up for a laugh. Dar Dar the senior student seems to have a pretty sweet fresher's week set up, with all sorts of parties, three legged pub crawls, pub quizes and drinking games (once you've played the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves drinking game, you'll be a changed man). Asides from drunken debauchery though, there's always a lot of stuff going on, like football tournies and pub quizes and such. So yeah, I think you'll like it.

As far as downsides are concerned there's not all that many. There's always a lot of partying going on, which can occasionally get grating when it's like 4 in the morning and you're just trying to get some sleep and people keep on barging into your room dressed in funny costumes singing really loudly - which has happened to me a few times. Get a good pair of headphones and you'll be fine. Also occasionally the place can feel a little calastrophobic, but that's nothing that can't be fixed by hanging out with friends from out of hall every now and again.

I think for new people coming in Atholl can seem a little intimidating at first cause it seems like everyone already knows each other, but don't worry, everyone's actually really decent and really inclusive. I recommend spending a lot of time in Front Hall - it's where everyone hangs out and chats and pretty much wastes days of their life. You'll meet some pretty spectacular people, both those that live in Atholl now and the ex-residents who just can't seem to stay away.

Well, sorry if this is a bit long. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and I'll see you in a few weeks. I'll be the skinny Canadian guy making an ass of himself most of the time. I'll be living in the Cottage (a small part of hall) with a tall, loud and incredibly banterous American guy named Tab. Feel free to come up and say hi. The first drink's on me.

Cheers,
Andrew
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Big X on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:45 am

you could not get a better person to tell you whats what in JBH than canandrew, than man knows his shit. Another word of advice Mike, a real hazard to avoid during fresers week is fire hazards, and one of these is a man called Munro, people are forever chanting "MUNRO, MUNRO, MUNRO IS ON FIRE". if you hear this being chanted then there is a 100% chance that there is a big drunk scotsman in the vicinity, and an 80% chance that his sidekick, Polish Alex, will be egging him on in an attempt to allow Munro to extinguish himself before he comes back to the flat.

Big X

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby physicist on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Canandrew from 07:50, 31st Aug 2005

You'll be living on the 3rd floor.

Depends if you use the Bristish or American definition of third floor: 3.15 in on the second floor (British) or third floor (American).
physicist

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:22 am

Mike,

First off: congrats on getting put in John Burnet, it's a great hall. I've lived there the last two years, and liked it enough to come back for a third.

As for your room, 3.15 is a pretty nice room - it's a double, on the third floor, which is a great place to be, there's a ton of awesome guys who'll be living there next year. Third floor's a lot of fun, and had been host to a number of great hall parties - complete with a Bathtub full of special Atholl punch. I think you've got a room with a view overlooking the golf course/sea, but I could be wrong. It might be on the other side...in which case it overlooks the parking lot. Which isn't as nice a view, but will have lovely light in the morning.

As for the hall itself, the place is awesome. The building itself is alright, in a good location near the town centre and the beach. The food is pretty eatable, and can be downright decent on some nights. There's a library with some decent computers, a tv room with DVD player and video games, and a lounge with a pool table and a really ghetto ping-pong table. There's even a sweeties shop where you can get sweets and crisps and such after meals. So as far as amenities are concerned, it's not bad.

The best thing about Atholl (that's John Burnet's nick name - back in the day it was the Atholl Hotel) though, without a doubt is the people. There's an incredible sense of community in the place, with an awesome social life. You'll meet tons of people in hall and even more people who used to live there and just can't stop coming back. Although at first this can feel a little intimidating, don't worry about it - everyone's actually pretty decent.

There's pretty much an organised party every week or so. I've just hear from Dar Dar, our senior student, and there's a pretty decent Fresher's week shaping up, full of things like a Three Legged Pub Crawl, themed parties of some sort with cheap bevvy, and more relaxed stuff like football tournies, pub quizes and the likes. Plus there's the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves drinking game, which is a life altering experience, believe you me.

Sorry if this is a bit long, but hey, I love Atholl. Anyhow, I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks. I'll be the skinny Canadian guy making an ass of himself, so feel free to say hi. First pint's on me.

Cheers
Andrew

Re:

Postby Dardar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:06 pm

I can't even begin to imagine how long you spent typing all of that. Twice. Total dedication.

The hall itself is great. It is made out of cardboard, so be very careful with the walls. Sometimes they turn the heating on, but this is usually only in the darkest months of winter, and usually then only for a few hours, because the old boiler only runs on coal and they can't afford the miners anymore - so make sure you bring a jumper. The electricity supply is fairly steady. All of this provides the perfect environment for the best thing about the hall - that is, the people! It is funny how the survival instinct really pulls them all together.

Seriously though, congratulations on getting in - it's the best Hall of Residence by far, and the only one which turns up to the interhall sports events in Top Gun dress.
Dardar

Re:

Postby Dardar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:07 pm

More information can be found by watching this advert:

http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=23527
Dardar

Re:

Postby Chaos on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:31 pm

The Atholl is a great place to be. Some people can be a bit loud at times (especially in the middle of the night), but are always ready to help. You can always ask someone in the hall committee if you're stuck.
Chaos

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 pm

Hey, I didn't delete it afterall! I just accidentally posted without logging in. Sweet.
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Your Mom on Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:06 pm

Cuntalicous, glad to have you aboard.

[hr]

Never be haughty to the humble. Never be humble to the haughty.
-Jefferson Davis
There was no point in turning back, fuck no thank you kindly.
-Raoul Duke
Your Mom

oh the lime young first year

Postby gingerben on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:48 pm

So, you've been put in the atholl. Awesome. My friend you could not have come to a better place. My tips are to look out for a man named tab who has problems controlling his bowels. Also in john burnet, the word cottage does not have the usual homosexual connotations but is something you will come to love and respect.
It is a great place to live. The best in fact. You'll learn to drink, dance, fall in love etc. Do you play the guitar? Or like cheap cider? So many questions.
If none of this makes sense, then sorry. It will thouigh. It will. Also i apologise for mr bainum's language in the previous post. he has trouble taming his vocal delivrey as well as his bowels.
See you freshers week,
Ginger Ben
Atholl foreign correspondant
gingerben

La LA La

Postby God Help Us on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:09 am

Hey Micheal

All I can say about hall is that it is the Balls and you're going to have a shit-kickin' good time. Look forward to meeting you! Bring brooze.
Danko
God Help Us

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:03 pm

My room from 1st year. A good room with a great view. I'm sure your'll have fun in Atholl.
And Canandrew see you next week I hope -I have some hilarious stories about Edinbugh to tell you.

I Love You and other guys sorry lies will be awesome in Freshers Week.

Seth

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Too far.
Midget

Re:

Postby Your Mom on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:56 pm

Quoting Midget from 18:03, 1st Sep 2005

I Love You and other guys sorry lies will be awesome in Freshers Week.

Seth

[hr]

A good question:
How far up the bum is too far?

[hr]

-Jefferson Davis
There was no point in turning back, fuck no thank you kindly.
-Raoul Duke
Your Mom

Re:

Postby Cara on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi! I just found out that I'm going to be in John Burnet this year (room 2.22 I think) and I was wondering how strict they are about putting stuff up on the walls? I'd heard about some of the other halls that it wasn't allowed, so didn't want to bring a heap of stuff just to send it back home. Thanks!
Cara
Cara

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:17 am

Cara,

Well...officially you're not supposed to put stuff up on the walls, because apparently having things on your wall is a fire hazard. Which is ridiculous, but they're kind of anal about fire hazards for some reason. That being said, pretty much everyone I know does it. If the Hall staff people ever see it they'll tell you to take it down, and they do occasionally do room checks to make sure everything's in working order. I think pretty much rule of thumb is what they don't know can't hurt them.

-Andrew
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Quoting Your Mom from 22:56, 1st Sep 2005
A good question:
How far up the bum is too far?

[hr]

-Jefferson Davis

Well I couldn't stick anything up your bum because your head's taking up all the room.

[hr]

Midget

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:29 pm

^^^^^^^

Snap.
Canandrew

Re:

Postby formeroccupant on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 am

As a former occupant of room 315 (last year), I can say it is a good one. I would say that it has the second best view in the hall, surpassed only by room 317 next door. Atholl has great spirit and if you are anything but the most hardened of antisocial individuals you will have a great time.
formeroccupant

Re:

Postby formeroccupant on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:00 am

As a former occupant of room 315 (last year), I can say it is a good one. I would say that it has the second best view in the hall, surpassed only by room 317 next door. Atholl has great spirit and if you are anything but the most hardened of antisocial individuals you will have a great time.
formeroccupant

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!