Home

TheSinner.net

freshers ball 2005?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

freshers ball 2005?

Postby party girl on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:13 am

hey everyone,

Does anyone know any details about a freshers ball, and if there is one? Do we need to buy tickets pretty soon incase it sells out..(have heard that one ball last year did, only not entirely sure that it was the same thing.)

Should I have had details in the post buy now about freshers week lineup? Only had one orientation page and its not really in depth.
Anyone have any advice?
party girl

Re:

Postby paw paw on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:43 pm

Dont panic! The ball is called the opening ball and its usually held in october and last year was £16, you wont hear about it for a while so just keep an eye out for them selling tickets outside the union etc. As for the orientation you will get a freshers pack when you arrive at your hall to collect your key and that will have all the info you need. Plus there will be students walking about the town to help you with any questions you might have - they should be wearing red t-shirts. Best of luck
paw paw

Re:

Postby Duffman on Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:11 pm

actually tickets are on sale now, ball is on the 8th of october, tickets £27. See http://www.charityopeningball.com/ for more info and ticket booking

[hr]

"Can't get enough of that wonderful Duff"
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Read the terms!!!

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:40 am

Anyone read the terms I know they have to cover themselves but this is a little extream is it not:

"The Kate Kennedy Club, nor any of its contactors, suppliers or employees can be held responsible for any accident, injury, death or other unforeseen circumstance."

People don't normaly DIE at these things do they...

Re:

Postby Adrian on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Hi,

As the writer of those terms and conditions, i can understand how it may seem a little 'extreem' but we have to state them as part of our contractual obligation with the suppliers of the services that will be provided on the night.

Sorry if it has offended any of you.

On another note, I have been working exceptionally hard over the summer to make sure this ball is a success. Please check out the web site to buy tickets - http://www.charityopeningball.com

It does sell out each year so I would advise buying soon. If you have any questions feel free to contact me on adrian@katekennedyclub.org.uk

Hope to see many of you there...

Adrian
Adrian

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:29 pm

Yes, my question is why do you KK boys always choose to put those annoying sound loops on your websites? My mute key is suffering wear.

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby ribbon girl on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm

looks cool. just got my ticket.
does it really sell out though?
ribbon girl

Re:

Postby Durrr? on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Is it just me or did neither of them spell extreme correctly?

Unreg. User: extream
Adrian: extreem
Durrr?

Re:

Postby Mod on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:57 pm

Quoting Durrr? from 18:46, 12th Sep 2005

Adrian was taking the mick.

Quoting ribbon girl from 18:18, 12th Sep 2005

In my first year it did - didn't stop it being a bit naff. Last year it didn't sell out and, if I've been informed accurately, half the people left early because of the general naffness of the event.
Mod

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:59 pm

Speaking as a humble second year, I thought naffness was all part of the fun. How else can one explain the Bop?

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Quoting Mod from 18:57, 12th Sep 2005
Quoting Durrr? from 18:46, 12th Sep 2005

Adrian was taking the mick.

[quote][b]

I'm dyslexic, so if Adrian was taking the mick shame on him

Re:

Postby Poppy on Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:56 pm

It is important to remember that the main reason behind the Opening Ball in October is to raise money for charity. Fair enough it may not be everyones cup of tea, but even if you don't enjoy it, or you don't agree with the KK Club just remember that the money is going to a worthwhile cause.

The KK boys get a lot of stick for their associations with the club but their fundraising efforts should be applauded.

Go to the ball and have a good time; and even if you don't it's not the end of the world and some of your dosh will be going to somewhere/one who needs it.
Poppy

Re:

Postby matty_c on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Just want to clean a few things up, especially as a keen supporter of kk events.

I went in my first year and it was one of my best nights. last year i couldn't get a ticket as it did sell out. unless they were lying to me, i believe it did. the may ball also sold out that year.

tickets were £26 not £16.

last year i heard no criticism...how can a party be naff? if it says cheesy dj, what do you expect? most of my friends went last year and i can certainly verify that half of the people didn't leave early.

also who cares how you spell extreme. why don't we all relax and enjoy life. i can say for sure that i will be attending the ball this year and i hope you do too.

matt
matty_c

Re:

Postby linz on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Quoting ribbon girl from 18:18, 12th Sep 2005

Can you buy tickets online at the moment because there is no link on the website? I'm confused :s
linz

tux

Postby tuxless on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:01 pm

Are there hire shops in St Andrews or do you need to bring a tux, ball gown or whatever?
tuxless

Re:

Postby Pedant on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:24 am

You won't be allowed in if you wear a tux. Please don't make that mistake!

But don't worry, a carefully chosen dinner jacket ought to do the trick.

How much of the proceeds/profits from the ball(s) actually go to charity? It would be interesting to see the KK's books (if they are indeed a registered charity). We never seem to hear of them giving any money to worthy causes (correct me if I'm wrong). But perhaps this may change this year with Adrian organising it?
Pedant

Re:

Postby Boxers on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:43 am

What do you mean they won't let you in if you wear a tux?! Is this some sort of opening ball thing? I wore one to the Mayball as did hundreds of other people and they didn't get turned away!
Boxers

Re:

Postby womble chris on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:37 am

i think the opening balls have been alright. last year was much better with that crepe van, spent a fortune on those.

this year ill try not to lose a grand on internet roulette like i did last year after the ball.
womble chris

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:05 pm

Who uses the word naff????

Daaaaaawwwbuurrrss!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby streakeye on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:07 pm

is there a limit to the number of guests you can take that don't go to st.andrews because i would love to bring my mates?
streakeye

Next

Return to New Students! First Years!