Home

TheSinner.net

Is it worth buying an orientation pass?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Is it worth buying an orientation pass?

Postby mary on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:00 pm

HI just seen that the passes are £30. Is there any point in getting one? There seems to be so much on with the halls, are they really worth the cost? thanks.
mary

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:36 am

Well, if you intend to go to every union priced activity during freshers week, then yes, financially it is worth it.

However...

If you go to every union priced activity during freshers week I'd probably believe there was something wrong with you. The line up this year is terrible (IMO) Each year since I arrived it appears to have gotten progressively worse. We could do so much better.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:59 am

No offence to the Union (no more than usual anyway :P) but really, these passes have never been worth the money and probably never will be.

I'd be more open minded if I'd heard anyone say "I bought an orientation pass and it was the best £30 I ever spent" or whatever the relevant price and name has been in previous years. Sadly in my time at Uni, no one ever said that... and as foo says, hardly a knock out lineup.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:16 am

don't get one...they're shite
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:24 am

I second that dobber chops...and put it into perspective..thats 30 drinks at the vic on a tuesday!!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 10:36, 15th Sep 2005
The line up this year is terrible (IMO) Each year since I arrived it appears to have gotten progressively worse. We could do so much better.

Munchingfoo - if you have any suggestions on how to improve the events at the union (specifically Orientation), please feel free to drop into the union at any time and offer your help. If you have any contacts in the entertainments world, or could volunteer your experience in order to help better the Union, we would be very pleased to meet you and talk to you.
Oli

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:45 pm

For the original poster, if you think that you're likely to go the union every night and take advantage of all the events, then the pass is well worthwhile (Saving you over £8).

However if you don't think you'll be out every night, you could choose to buy tickets to the events individually.

The choice is entirely up to you.
Oli

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:41 am

I dunno but ... what do you know about what's happening in halls? I can't find anything apart from that flyer with the evening entertainment on.

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:37 am

Quoting oli from 18:41, 15th Sep 2005
Quoting munchingfoo from 10:36, 15th Sep 2005
The line up this year is terrible (IMO) Each year since I arrived it appears to have gotten progressively worse. We could do so much better.

Munchingfoo - if you have any suggestions on how to improve the events at the union (specifically Orientation), please feel free to drop into the union at any time and offer your help. If you have any contacts in the entertainments world, or could volunteer your experience in order to help better the Union, we would be very pleased to meet you and talk to you.

Oli, I sent an e-mail to Chris specifically telling him about a popular group of DJ's , who have played with many famous names, that I could get on the cheap and he didn't even reply to me.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Oli on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:02 pm

That surprises me actually - Chris has been replying to all the emails he received. If you'd like to email again, please include your phone number, and he'll call you back.

Hope you enjoy Orientation - maybe see you in the union tomorrow night?
Oli

Return to New Students! First Years!