Home

TheSinner.net

Quiet Residences

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Quiet Residences

Postby Irish on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Which of the standard, catered residences is quieter and more conducive to study but also is fairly social.

Also, what are the washrooms/showers like in the standard residences?
Irish

Re:

Postby Ellkie on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:32 pm

It's hard to distinguish between which is quieter, but McIntosh has two study areas which can be helpful if you are easily distracted. But if thats the case then you should go to the libraries anyway. Personally I like a bit of background noise and get thoroughly bored in the library so a coffee shop is ideal.

Showers in McIntosh are comunual but you get your own sink in your room. Shower cubicals are tiny so as soon as you get to your hall you should go looking for the bigger bathrooms with a toilet and shower and enough space to actually get dressed. If indeed they exist in the Hall which you are granted.
Good Luck and congrats on your uni entry.

[hr]

It's all GEEK
It's all GEEK
Ellkie

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:11 pm

C floor in Sallies is quiet and social but beware of B-floor (indoor cricket at midnight)!
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby Lyeta on Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:08 pm

It depends on the balance you want - I found New Hall great in first year (despite what people say about it being antisocial) and it is quiet enough generally. I wouldn't like to be self-catered in New Hall in first year but if you are catered you will meet plenty of people in the dining hall.
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:40 pm

How do they choose which residence you get? On my application I just check off the style I want and then what happens from there?

Also, how do they decide who gets the single rooms and who gets the doubles. I'm going to be in third year so I'd prefer a single room.

Re:

Postby macster110 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:05 am

Everyone knows that John Burnet is the hall most conducive to study.

Ask to be put in the cottage- thats the epicentre of St Andrew's work ethic.
macster110

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 am

JBH is so much better than it used to be. Most of the crazies have left :-(

P.S. by better I mean more studious, I do not personally find this "better"

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:03 pm

Going by my first year, Regs seemed quite up to scratch with your 'requests'.

Fair enough it's not exactly 'quiet', but you've plenty of options for being left alone, finding somewhere quiet etc. It's fairly small, so it's quite easy to be sociable as you'll likely end up knowing quite alot of people from the experience. It can be rowdy at times, but not to the extent that you couldn't study should you wish to.

Rooms are a decent size[except 3-4 IIRC, which are quite tiny], meals are apparently some of the better ones for catered, 'decent' facilities [lots of showers and things, not in the best of order, but they cater for your needs], a nice library, a big TV room, a decent sized games room. It's also perfectly situated almost slap-bang in the middle of town. [Well, just down a street from South Street]

For regs, the washrooms were communal, but I never had any problems. They locked, they worked, they always seemed to be clean; can't ask for much more IMO.

I heartily recommend Regs. Lots of fun.

Frank

PS Regs is St Regulus Halls

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting Lyeta from 19:08, 18th Apr 2006
I found New Hall great in first year (despite what people say about it being antisocial) and it is quiet enough generally.

Yeah, New Hall generally is pretty quiet (Which is bloody surprising seeing as there's reputedly c.600 people living here). There's an upstairs study room with computers and a printer if you don't have your own PC (which I do), but usually I find my own room is quiet enough and away from any noise that may arise.

And don't do self catered New Hall - I'm catered, but I still know how disgusting the corridor kitchens can be. I usually see complaint notices from the cleaners/RA/Housekeeping on about 4 or 5 of the kitchen doors at any one time.

Most rooms in New Hall are single.

One year in New Hall was enough for me, however. I haven't liked the place really, for a number of reasons which I won't bore you with just now, so I'm off to Regs next year.

[hr]
Malcolm

Re:

Postby John on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:25 pm

I am in Regs this year and it has been amazing! You can work if you want to, as i thought I would, but i sit here just now with an essay due tomorrow and only 200 words on paper it is not always the case.
I live in the annexe and have had a great time and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone!!!!
John

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:01 pm

Uni hall is the best of the lot...most people are jeolous of our social scene
we pay £50 hall subs and have had free vodka bars about twice a semester, hall ball, we have a garden party coming up, celebrated st andrews day. there have been so many more events but too many to list.

but at the same time you can still study, majority of rooms are single but i am sharing, however my room is under the dining room.

we have 3 librarys in hall so there is always somewhere to study!
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby emerald_lady on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Hey man,
Uni hall is full of loud and quiet people. It is such a flexible place with so many beautiful old rooms to study in, and a really good computer suite. The rooms are charming and it's great to have your own space.
The food isnt that bad and it's great to be surrounded by your friends, however there are quite a number of quiet and reserved people here who hang out in some of the fabulous areas where you can read, and the grassy quad outside is perfect for sitting outside to read a book and study in the sun, and to have snowball fights in winter. ;)

Most of the shower rooms have been refurbished and there are no queues! which is great! And the kitchens are spangly clean and new. The social scene here is great and there is an immense pride in hall spirit with sports competitions and debating and the such and days out ice-skating etc and our new games room which has been set up, pool table, tv and playstation games, board games etc

It's really a great place to spend your first year. I am so glad I came here.
ALl the best
Lindsey
x
emerald_lady

Return to New Students! First Years!