Home

TheSinner.net

slang, missing stuff, and booze

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Re:

Postby Altheia on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting novium from 19:06, 11th Aug 2006
hey, I object to that. If your standard of "worthwhile" are places in the states that are more expensive than st andrews (which by my count clocks in at about 30,000 dollars)...well, you've ruled out MOST of them, including places like UC Berkeley. Hell, I'm fairly sure stanford is not more expensive than st andrews.

But as to groovy's comment, there are many americans who go to st andrews only by means of massive loans. So actually, they are more broke than most people.
Quoting unregistered user from 09:23, 8th Aug 2006
Quoting groovy from 00:51, 8th Aug 2006
I'm sorry, but if you're an american coming to study HERE of all places, then you can afford to drink here.

'nuff said.

Actually, for many of us, studying at st. andrews is less expensive than anywhere worthwhile in the states. And not all of us are filthy rich, we live on budgets as well.

That's really only for those of you from California. For Americans from anywhere besides California, UC Berkley is hugely expensive, as is Stanford, as are most other universities in California. If I wanted a cheap(er) education I would have had to stay in state, and in my state there's nowhere that compares to St. Andrews for what I wanted to study.

As it is, the university that I would have gone to is still more expensive than St. Andrews, even with $23,000 worth of scholarships.

[hr]

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain
Altheia

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 am

Its absolutely true St. Andrews can be cheaper than American Universities... The average reputable private college costas over $40,000 per year to attend. Also, Im willing to bet that many Americans attending St. Andrews, like me, are being helped financially by their parents... however, at least for me, this is only on tuition and room and board, nothing else.

Also, I would just like to point out that in Boston, you can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka for only about $12. Sure, its shit, but i doubt you can find anything so cheap in scotland.

Re:

Postby Holly on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 am

Actually, Stanford is about ten grand more per year than St. Andrews is (I know because my sister just graduated from there). UC Berkeley is cheapest for California residents, though I admit I don't know what out-of-state students pay.

I wouldn't say there are no good schools in the US that cost about the same or less than going to St. Andrews. I just wasn't interested in them—they were not worthwile to me personally. I suspect that that's what "unregistered user" meant, as well.
Holly

Re:

Postby Holly on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:05 am

Actually, Stanford is about ten grand more per year than St. Andrews is (I know because my sister just graduated from there). UC Berkeley is cheapest for California residents, though I admit I don't know what out-of-state students pay.

I wouldn't say there are no good schools in the US that cost about the same or less than going to St. Andrews. I just wasn't interested in them—they were not worthwile to me personally. I suspect that that's what "unregistered user" meant, as well.
Holly

Re:

Postby Jaspar on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 am

hey, I object to that. If your standard of "worthwhile" are places in the states that are more expensive than st andrews (which by my count clocks in at about 30,000 dollars)...well, you've ruled out MOST of them, including places like UC Berkeley. Hell, I'm fairly sure stanford is not more expensive than st andrews.

But as to groovy's comment, there are many americans who go to st andrews only by means of massive loans. So actually, they are more broke than most people.
I'm sorry, but if you're an american coming to study HERE of all places, then you can afford to drink here.

'nuff said.

Actually, for many of us, studying at st. andrews is less expensive than anywhere worthwhile in the states. And not all of us are filthy rich, we live on budgets as well.

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

Rachel's right. The only places that were cheaper for me were American and Case Western (both due to scholarships). They're not bad schools, but places on the level of St. Andrews would set you back about $45,000.
Jaspar

Re:

Postby unregistered user on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 am

'nuff said.

I was accepted to Stanford and basic tuition begins at 45000 for out of state, then add living expenses. Just so you know, of the choices of good schools for americans, this truly is a good deal.
unregistered user

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 am

That's only the UC system for California residents. Most state school systems aren't that good, and would cost me personally $19,000 a year for in-state tuition (compared to the $20-25,000 for St Andrews). They do give out more scholarships, but still, we don't all have the option of schools like those in the UC system.

'nuff said.

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:04 am

Out of state tuition at the UCs (many of which are better than berkeley for undergrad work, just because at the others, you are more likely to get quality time with the professors) is about 17,000-20,000 dollars, well on par with st andrews.

I only bring up the UCs because I am a californian who just graduated from UCSC...so I am most familiar with them. However, there are some great public universities in other states. The US has one of the best higher education systems in the world. ask the Economist.

So you know, no need to look down your nose at them. Many of those same public universities are even better than st andrews in many aspects.

Don't get me wrong. I love st andrews. But the original statement was frankly ridiculous and insulting.
Quoting Holly from 00:55, 12th Aug 2006

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:08 am

19,000 for in-state tuition? At the UCs? it was only about 6,000 to 8,000 a year...
Quoting from 23:06, 12th Aug 2006
That's only the UC system for California residents. Most state school systems aren't that good, and would cost me personally $19,000 a year for in-state tuition (compared to the $20-25,000 for St Andrews). They do give out more scholarships, but still, we don't all have the option of schools like those in the UC system.

[quote]Quoting groovy from 00:51, 8th Aug 2006

'nuff said.

[hr]

[/quote]

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:25 pm

I was saying the UC system is the exception for how cheap it is and the high quality. Penn State would cost me, as an state resident, about $19,000/year, and Penn State is probably one of the best schools in the PA college system.
Quoting novium from 03:08, 19th Aug 2006
19,000 for in-state tuition? At the UCs? it was only about 6,000 to 8,000 a year...

[quote]Quoting unregistered user from 09:23, 8th Aug 2006

'nuff said.

[hr]

[/quote]

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.[/quote]

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:48 pm

for tuition, or in total? If tuition, that is a bit high, but on par with st andrews. If that includes living in the dorms, then that is much much cheaper than st andrews, and is about the same as the UCs.
Quoting from 19:59, 22nd Aug 2006
I was saying the UC system is the exception for how cheap it is and the high quality. Penn State would cost me, as an state resident, about $19,000/year, and Penn State is probably one of the best schools in the PA college system.
Quoting novium from 03:08, 19th Aug 2006
[quote]Quoting novium from 19:06, 11th Aug 2006

[quote]Quoting unregistered user from 09:23, 8th Aug 2006

'nuff said.

[hr]

[/quote]

[hr]

sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.[/quote][/quote]

[hr]

tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.
novium

Re:

Postby Starla on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting from 16:38, 3rd Aug 2006
1) You'll learn the slang. Pull = hook up with

Yeah, but then you get the additional complicating factor: to me "to pull" means to kiss someone, to other people "to pull" means to slep with.

You don't learn much slang, you and your groups of friends tend to create it :P For example, telling anyone outside of Rocksoc that you "got sconed" last night will get you some really weird looks...
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:37 pm

Tuition, halls & meals at PSU would be $19,564 (and would be a shared room, and expected to spend an additional $1360 on books). Tuition & catered halls at St Andrews for me this year will be about $24,000.

Re:

Postby Tegan on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:36 pm

in the end many of the good schools in my area (i'm from outside Boston) are about the same as St.A's. My parents are helping me and i've got a big loan, so it is not a walk in the park. My family is in no way rich.
Tegan

Previous

Return to New Students! First Years!