Home

TheSinner.net

semi-formal attire?

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

semi-formal attire?

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:19 am

I've noticed many references to balls and the need to have ballgowns/formal dresses, but there is little to indicate that there are occasions for which semi-formal attire is required. Is this the case, or is there the emphasis on balls simply because one might not expect them?

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:07 pm

It'd be best to bring some. Suits are useful mainly for church,certain society functions, Job interviews, and so on. You can probably get away with not having one depending on what you do with yourself thoughout the year.

Oh, and if you intend to join Tayforth UOTC its a definite yes if you intend to use the mess. Thats basically the only time I ever use mine.

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:36 pm

I attended a healthy amount of balls this year and got away with having just a single suit and a number of shirts.

The dress code might read 'black tie' but if you show up in a pinstriped suit and a red shirt with a tie featuring cricket bats, nobody'll say anything! :P

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:25 am

Oops, sorry. perhaps there is a language difference here - by semi-formal I mean semi-formal eveningwear (short dresses, etc).

Return to New Students! First Years!