Home

TheSinner.net

red robes

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

red robes

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:20 am

So what are the red robes, which i hear so much about, all about??

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting from 05:26, 11th Jun 2006
So what are the red robes, which i hear so much about, all about??

They are the red undergraduate gowns which you are not obliged to buy, however they can be pretty useful if you are into debating, go to chapel or live in one of the more traditional halls (they have formal dinners every few weeks where if you wear a gown you can drink wine with the meal :-D)
In the freshers week the union has a sale of second hand gowns at about £80, although if you want a new one it will set you back about £120 :-S personally i just advertised on the 'trading stuff' board here and got a second hand gown (in pretty good condition) for £60!!!
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:02 pm

As far as I'm aware they arise from an argument between the university and the town in days gone by (one of many that have occurred throughout the centuries), over excessive student drinking (no changes there then!) The gowns were instigated in order to identify students and thus prevent them from drinking in the taverns.

Fear not though! Student drunkenness is back with a vengeance! The gowns are optional, even if it mattered anymore seeing as most students are over the legal age to drink. Though I’m told you can’t get served in pubs if wearing a gown. Can’t say I’ve ever tried.

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Scully on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:02 am

I did not wear a red gown in all my 4 years at Uni. I didn't buy one thank God. I didn't need one as
a)I didn't go to Chapel
b) I didn't debate- although I did attend some
c) I did not live in halls where there are formal dinners- I was in new hall. You can always borrow one if you need one once
Scully

Re:

Postby Marie55 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:34 pm

I mainly used mine when it got really cold in my room in winter, lol. Like other people are suggesting...depends what activities you want to do. I suppose I didn't really make the most of it in terms of wearing it but I like having it and wearing it occasionally for traditions sake. And you get in free to the castle and cathedral if you wear it...have not tried it myself but think it works. One thing that's a nice idea but I wouldn't recommend testing is that if 3 students in gowns walk out on to the road then traffic has to stop.
Marie55

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:13 am

As has been said, there's no obligation to buy a gown, and some don't. However, few universities (in fact, we may be the only UK one) still have "everyday" undergrad gowns, so it would seem a shame not to have one as a student here. You may not wear it all that often, but some of the occasions that people wear it for are:
- The University's Christmas service
- Debates
- On visiting days when working as an Ambassador (around 40% of Wednesdays during term time - gown must be worn)
- Regular church/chapel services throughout the year
- To gain free entry to the castle and cathedral
- University events (examples this year include the rector's installation and the march against the AUT action).

Although c.£120 is an expensive one-off payment for a NEW gown, there are the cheaper second hand ones (also available from BESS in the union or privately), and you must consider that not only will you get four years reasonable use out of it, but you'll also have something unique to St Andrews that you may keep forever more!

As for the differences between brand new and second hand, there may be slight deviations in colour tone as the gowns' colour changes slightly year on year. I forget in which order it goes, but at the very beginning they started off being either rather orangey or crimson like, then gradually over a few decades changed to being more crimson or orangey. However, in recent years they've gone back to the sort of tone they started off at originally. However, to most eyes they look fairly similar.

As Marie55 said, local bylaw states that three students wearing their gowns and walking together have right of way over other forms of traffic, and as has been mentioned above, you are technically not meant to be served in a public house if wearing your gown. The traffic thing I've tried with two other begowned students, and we were nearly mown down by a speeding Bay Hotel shuttle bus!

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting box_of_delights from 12:13, 11th Jul 2006
As Marie55 said, local bylaw states that three students wearing their gowns and walking together have right of way over other forms of traffic, and as has been mentioned above, you are technically not meant to be served in a public house if wearing your gown. The traffic thing I've tried with two other begowned students, and we were nearly mown down by a speeding Bay Hotel shuttle bus!

This by law was repealed some time ago

Re:

Postby El Dez on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 am

However, few universities (in fact, we may be the only UK one) still have "everyday" undergrad gowns

Oxbridge and Durham still do (at least). They have considerably cheaper gowns as well (£30-40), but then they're not all big and wooly and red.
El Dez

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:47 am

I find it easier to tape a red plastic bag on my back.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Pan on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:31 pm

- On visiting days when working as an Ambassador (around 40% of Wednesdays during term time - gown must be worn)

That depends. I'm an ambassador for the physics department and none of the physics ones wear a red gown.

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:33 am

Anyone know what us Americans who graduated from undergrad schools here in the States are using for postgrad gowns at St. Andrews?

Our undergrad gowns here are... erm... polyester. And very very cheap. Not really intended for wear more than once since they tend to unravel and look horrid. About 80% of the unis here use the same gown for graduation (since that's the only time we wear them). Sometimes just different colors. But the same exact cut and seemingly second-hand material.

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting from 02:19, 28th Aug 2006
Anyone know what us Americans who graduated from undergrad schools here in the States are using for postgrad gowns at St. Andrews?

Our undergrad gowns here are... erm... polyester. And very very cheap. Not really intended for wear more than once since they tend to unravel and look horrid. About 80% of the unis here use the same gown for graduation (since that's the only time we wear them). Sometimes just different colors. But the same exact cut and seemingly second-hand material.

I think the university have decided that you may wear the gown as worn by graduates of St Andrews. The answer to this - and probably all gown-related questions - can be found here - http://www.thesinner.net/article-view.p ... cle=165%20
Al

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:01 pm

The Physics "Ambassadors" are not official ambassadors as such as they do not work under the Ambassador team. In fact Physics appears to have its own little system. But all other departmental and hall and university Ambassadors are required to wear a gown.....however, they are quite expensive now (how can they justify a 25 pound price rise in 4 yrs?) so if you want to work as an Ambassador - you can always borrow a gown from a friend.

Alternatively you could decide to go halves on the price of a gown with a friend and then agree that after the 4 years you both will sell it off and share the returns between you.

I would have liked to have seen gowns used more often when I was at St A - especially given that we are one of very few unis to have the undergrad gowns - it's sad we're so quick to give up traditions.....
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Pan on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:48 pm

We're still ambassodors for the university seen as we represent and promote the university too.

I think we're preferred not to wear the red gowns, I'm not sure why this is, probably because they're a bit impractical when doing experiments.... [img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby kb228 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 pm

If anyone wants to buy a slightly used gown, I think it is size 49, which would be good for someone about 5'6" to 5'8". My roommate bought it new two years ago, she transfered and left it to me. L60. My email is kb228@st-andrews.ac.uk
kb228

Return to New Students! First Years!