Home

TheSinner.net

Choosing the correct module

Any questions about St Andrews? Ask here! The older, wiser generation will be sure to fill you in. Many people have decided on St Andrews after reading these boards, so give it a go!

Choosing the correct module

Postby User on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:44 am

Hello all,

I will be attending St. Andrews next year as an undergraduate in the school of International Relations. I've already picked the mandatory IR classes at 10:00am and 4:00pm and i'm looking for a third that won't conflict with those two. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers.
User

Re:

Postby Duffman on Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:06 pm

I suggest you do something completely different that interests you, first year is the only chance you will get to do this. I chose to do a beginners modern language on top of biology which was fun, and useful too. Just choose what interests you at the moment and wory about conflicts when you actually get to St Andrews, the chances of conflict are minimal anyways and some subjects like modern languages have a number of classes at varying times.

[hr]

I would have stayed up with you all night,
if I had known how to save a life.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 am

Sustainable development is interesting and not too much work, although I skipped the 1st year, so I couldn't comment on times.

IS1001 (or 1002) is an easy IT module. I mean, really easy.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting Steveo from 01:08, 26th Jun 2006
Sustainable development is interesting and not too much work, although I skipped the 1st year, so I couldn't comment on times.

IS1001 (or 1002) is an easy IT module. I mean, really easy.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.

I did do the Sustainable development course, although back when it was just a single inter-disciplinary module, but it was loads of fun, and things I learned in it have been really useful for me, which is nice. The other random course I would recommend is Linguistics - both the first and second semester courses are really good. Actually, the second semester is more interesting than the first, but the two go together well. Hope this helps!
Kizzy

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:04 pm

What about a language such as French, Italian, German or Spanish? (you can do beginners in any but french)

Useful, and quite easy in first year. ALthough alot to take in if you are doing beginners!!
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:10 pm

you can always try russian. The department at st andrews is really very good and enthusiastic. Itll be hard to get a high mark but they dont like to fail people so you should find it fairly easy to pass. Im not sure what time the classes are but they wont be at 10 or 4. It may sound a daunting prospect but i found it fun and the cyrillic font isnt hard to grasp if youve got half a brain.

Chemistry Conflicts

Postby Fred on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:41 pm

The hours on the CH1001 Foundation Chemistry class are "11.00 am and 2.00 - 5.00 pm on one afternoon." The 2.00 pm time conflicts with another class, which meets three times a week.

Does anyone know if I can choose when the three hour practical takes place so that I could schedule it for a day that the other class does not meet at 2.00, or is the time set by the instructor?
Fred

Re:

Postby ONeill on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting Fred from 03:24, 22nd Jul 2006
The hours on the CH1001 Foundation Chemistry class are "11.00 am and 2.00 - 5.00 pm on one afternoon." The 2.00 pm time conflicts with another class, which meets three times a week.

Does anyone know if I can choose when the three hour practical takes place so that I could schedule it for a day that the other class does not meet at 2.00, or is the time set by the instructor?

Initially the lecturer may draw up a list of who should attend on which day. If there are any problems you can them go and see the lecturer who drew up the list to arrange for you to attend on one of the other days. In some subjects they give out sheets at the start of the term that let you specify the times you can attend tutorials so that the staff in the department can schedule you in when you are free.

There should be no problem in sorting that issue out.
ONeill

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting ONeill from 10:56, 24th Jul 2006
Quoting Fred from 03:24, 22nd Jul 2006

Initially the lecturer may draw up a list of who should attend on which day. If there are any problems you can them go and see the lecturer who drew up the list to arrange for you to attend on one of the other days. In some subjects they give out sheets at the start of the term that let you specify the times you can attend tutorials so that the staff in the department can schedule you in when you are free.

There should be no problem in sorting that issue out.

I would also suggest that you pick a non science subject that you find interesting (modules that will allow you to take that non science subject on to honours). Just incase you have a change of heart. I particually recomend Psychology. It starts just after first year chem.
OhhMy

maths and biology

Postby bumblebee on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:14 pm

hello
I want to study maths and biology but can i do this if maths starts at 9 and biology starts at 10?
bumblebee

Re:

Postby ribs on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting bumblebee from 09:27, 24th Jul 2006
hello
I want to study maths and biology but can i do this if maths starts at 9 and biology starts at 10?

Of course you can! I'm not sure what's happening with first year bio this year but I think it might actually be in the chemistry lab which is right beside the maths building. Even if it's not you can still make it on time - though I'd recommend bringing a bike if you have one. Classes usually end 5 mins to the hour and start 5 mins after.

[hr]

Riddick: Remember that favorite game of yours?
Kyra: "Who's the Better Killer?"
Riddick: Let's play.
Summer is a state of mind.
ribs

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:47 pm

10am and 4pm? sounds very much like you are trying to do first and second year IR at the same time??!! If you are a first year then please rethink this, really, one IR module per semester is more than enough, they are both quite demnading courses that need a lot of reading. You also need to have passed the 1000 level modules to take the 2000 level ones
Quoting User from 05:06, 17th Jun 2006
Hello all,

I will be attending St. Andrews next year as an undergraduate in the school of International Relations. I've already picked the mandatory IR classes at 10:00am and 4:00pm and i'm looking for a third that won't conflict with those two. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheers.

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:47 pm

Run between classes. it can be done!!
hello

Re:

Postby ONeill on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting from 21:14, 24th Jul 2006
10am and 4pm? sounds very much like you are trying to do first and second year IR at the same time??!! If you are a first year then please rethink this, really, one IR module per semester is more than enough, they are both quite demnading courses that need a lot of reading. You also need to have passed the 1000 level modules to take the 2000 level ones
Quoting User from 05:06, 17th Jun 2006
Hello all,

Got to agree with that assessment. Never try to overload on modules from the same school until honours level. That way if you start to struggle with the work or lose interest in the subject you have others you can take up straight away. As for an extra module, IS1001 is always a good choice as it requires little work due to most people having a generally good understanding of how to use a computer. Think it's on at 11 in semester 1.
ONeill

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:35 pm

hello

last year first year biology in first semester was in the chemistry building and next to maths, even if it is in town there is just enough time if lectures finish and start when they are meant too, or just get a bike
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 am

In my second year I had to get from Soc Anth at the Buchanan to IR at Purdie in 5 mins, it can be done!! (well with the help of my car that is!!)

Quoting lizzie_liz from 22:35, 25th Jul 2006
hello

last year first year biology in first semester was in the chemistry building and next to maths, even if it is in town there is just enough time if lectures finish and start when they are meant too, or just get a bike

Return to New Students! First Years!